6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lack headroom in my 2011 SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Im mainly referring to a cowboy hat, Ball cap touches. I have my chair leaned back.

Shane

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I have not worn a cowboy hat but I use the hard hat example because they sit very high on the head and require just as much space above your head that a cowboy hat would.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife complains about her horns hitting the roof.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you forget to take your cowboy hat off?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baxterboy
Wonder if a person could take the 4 seat mounting brackets (the ones that attach the seat to the floor) and refab them for more clearance? Looks like there is probably 2 inches extra room under the seat. If it is to do with air conditioned seats than who cares, I will never use them anyways. I to am 6 feet tall and battling height / comfort problems in this truck. Someone (not me) should make up some new seat brackets and sell them. I will be first in line. I hate to say it but if I cant find some comfort real soon this truck will be traded in on something different. Now I know what the wife feels like when she asks for an extra inch and I cant produce. LOL.
But then would you be able to see over the instrument cluster?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

OK, I have searched the net extensively and cannot find a custom seat-lowering kit. I can only find them for the Ford GT and for the Viper. I'd really like to avoid trading off the truck. I know it's my fault for assuming this truck would be like my 07 with the moonroof. I like everything else but I hate that my head is about 1/4 in from the headliner while driving. Is there one out there that I'm missing? Could there be a way to modify the existing mechanism?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SneakyF350
OK, I have searched the net extensively and cannot find a custom seat-lowering kit. I can only find them for the Ford GT and for the Viper. I'd really like to avoid trading off the truck. I know it's my fault for assuming this truck would be like my 07 with the moonroof. I like everything else but I hate that my head is about 1/4 in from the headliner while driving. Is there one out there that I'm missing? Could there be a way to modify the existing mechanism?
I went looking for one but was not able to find one. Odds are that with the hardware under the seat, we'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to tackle it. I got snagged with the moonroof option as well. I test drove one without and was REALLY not happy with the clearance with the moonroof.

I have learned to compensate by leaning the seat back a bit. Really find it hard to believe Ford did not have people of different sizes (and I mean other than just height) test it out during the development of the product. But apparently they did not!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Cool

I went and talked to the dealer about the lack of headroom. Dealer said it must be that my seat is not lowering properly. I sat in some other new trucks on the lot with the moonroof and they were the same as mine so that theory is ruled out. Also, according to the service department trim guy, there is no adjustment for the seat raising/lowering tolerances. The dealer suggested looking at a conversion company for a lowering kit. The service department also mentioned that several other people had come in requesting to have their seats lowered. My wife has a 2010 F150 with the moonroof and I have a good 5 in of headroom compared to the 1/4 in with my SD. This makes me sick.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rdenis
My wife complains about her horns hitting the roof.

Open the sunroof?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Talking

That would actually be a solution, or at least to slide back the shade. However, the problematic area is the lowered headliner covering the mechanism to the left of the moonroof. I'd trade it in on an XL crew cab with a PSD if I could pull an even swap.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
I went and talked to the dealer about the lack of headroom. Dealer said it must be that my seat is not lowering properly. I sat in some other new trucks on the lot with the moonroof and they were the same as mine so that theory is ruled out. Also, according to the service department trim guy, there is no adjustment for the seat raising/lowering tolerances. The dealer suggested looking at a conversion company for a lowering kit. The service department also mentioned that several other people had come in requesting to have their seats lowered. My wife has a 2010 F150 with the moonroof and I have a good 5 in of headroom compared to the 1/4 in with my SD. This makes me sick.
I was a little discouraged at first also. The good out-weighs the bad, IMO.

Wore my cowboy hat today to lunch. Lean back, and use arm rest. Loooong road trips over 3 hours hat has to come off,,,again. Not much I can do except to to adjust.

Could be worse.

Shane

Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
I'm really glad that I didn't order the Moonroof now. It's about the only option that I didn't get.

I'm 6'2" and wear a cowboy hat all the time, my only complaint is the brim of the hat hitting the head rest behind.

Good luck on finding a solution

Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I'm really glad that I didn't order the Moonroof now. It's about the only option that I didn't get.

I'm 6'2" and wear a cowboy hat all the time, my only complaint is the brim of the hat hitting the head rest behind.
On long trips, I just pull the headreast out and spin it around. Works like a charm.

Shane

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I'm not a happy camper about the seat as well. Yesterday I hit my head for the first time after hitting a bump. Let me know if you find anyone who can do custom seat modifications. I will be looking for one as well.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
head room

are you wearing one of the those 10x harrey parker stetsons.especially a high plains rancher?

?

Quick Reply: Lack headroom in my 2011 SD