Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Transmission temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Transmission temperature gauge

Anyone ever hook up a transmission temperature gauge? I have a pillar gauge cluster and am going to end up with boost, EGT, and trans temp. The installation manual for the temp gauge says to drill a hole in the pan and weld in the sender, but the really has got to be a different way. I'm not good with a welder and I don't even think I could weld it so it stays-so forget about leak free. I'm wondering if I can put the temperature sender into what appears to be a plug in the side of my E4OD. Its on the drivers side and its above the pan flange about 2 inches above. Is there oil on the other side of this specified (or any other) plug? If so, I can probably put my sender in there and make easy work outta this, right? Has any one ever done this?

BTW: the sender is 1/8 NPT brass.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you either need to drop the pan, drill it, weld in a bung and thread the sending unit in OR spend some cash and buy a mag hytec aluminum deep sump pan thats got a probe hole already.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
if you go to a hydraulic fitting place, im sure you can find a compression fitting that you will have to still drop the pan, drill it and put the fitting inside with a nut on the outside and gaskets between to prevent leakage. thats how i ran my fuel lines from my in bed tank to my front and rear tank. tranny gets pretty hot though, and its covered in oil the whole time so make sure they are the proper 0 rings/ gaskets

Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
My sending unit is threaded, but you don't think it will screw into the plug on the side of the transmission??

Old 12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
My sending unit is threaded, but you don't think it will screw into the plug on the side of the transmission??
On a E4OD, you can use the "service port" on the driver side of the trans. That's where my sensor is and it works perfect.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
What kind of temps* are you seing? And what are the "danger" zones for trans. temps?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
it wont thread into the drain plug. if its a bottom one you'd risk knocking it off, if its in the back, you could get a reducing bushing and do it there.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:26 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
What kind of temps* are you seing? And what are the "danger" zones for trans. temps?
I usually see around 165-170 while towing and about 150 when just cruising unloaded. Over 200 is when you start to do trans damage.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ManicMike
On a E4OD, you can use the "service port" on the driver side of the trans. That's where my sensor is and it works perfect.
Great, I hope that works

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
I didn't put transcommand on when I put the Banks turbo on and I'm hoping I don't have to. I want to keep an eye on transmission temp. considering I don't have a shift kit either. I'm pretty sure my E4OD can handle the extra stress, considering its in power-strokes and its only 10K old. With all that, I figure keeping an eye on the trans. temp couldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by oreocreaming
it wont thread into the drain plug. if its a bottom one you'd risk knocking it off, if its in the back, you could get a reducing bushing and do it there.
Yeah, I don't have a drain plug on mine (I was looking at deep transmission pans with drain plugs though, are deep pans any good?), but I hope the sender will screw in that port maniacmike was speaking of.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
I usually see around 165-170 while towing and about 150 when just cruising unloaded. Over 200 is when you start to do trans damage.
My gauge goes up to 250. Should be fine even though its a short sweep.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
deep pans are fine. more fluid the cooler it will stay. you can get one with the probe hole already in it.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
I was thinking it would be good for cooling, but I'm thinking it would put the ground clearance to low for my purposes.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Is it for a 1/8 NPT fitting?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
My gauge goes up to 250. Should be fine even though its a short sweep.
Yea. Pretty sure I have the same one. 180 degrees is right in the middle. I'd add a cooler to the trans if I was you. I got mine from "the diesel site".com

It's like the stock cooler from a newer V10 truck, thing works awesome.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Is it for a 1/8 NPT fitting?
I'm almost sure it is. When I get home from work I'll check it out. I wanted to make a start up video of the truck anyways.

Quick Reply: Transmission temperature gauge