Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM
New User

scubydo is starting off with a positive reputation.
What years have the Spark Plug blow out problems?

Sorry, I've searched, and haven't been able to find the answer. Anybody have any idea what years have the most trouble. Could you guys that had the problem respond with the year. Thanks.

I have an 03 5.4, and just wondered if I need to be packing parts.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Senior User

97ExpGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
97 - 02 2v 5.4 engines. Since you have an 03 model, you should have the revised heads that have more threads in the cylinder head. However, your not out of the water yet as the gen 2 Expys with the 3v heads had the two-part spark plug that is infamous for cracking upon removal due to a carbon build up on the threads. There is a special tool for aiding in removing broken spark plugs.

Read here:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...l-article.html

Ford Spark Plug Removal Tool - Picture of Ford's Bad Design | Denlors Auto Blog
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Elder User

Icefan71 has a good reputation on FTE.Icefan71 has a good reputation on FTE.
98 5.4 - I had a blowout on the passenger side 3rd back. Had to have it helicoiled a few months after a sparg plug change.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Junior User

Londart is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm gonna need to do plugs on my 00 expy 5.4 eventually...dunno when they were done last and it's got roughly 150,000 on it and starting to get worse gas mileage than usual....any recommendations to avoid them blowing out or breaking off...any tips on making a lil easier job
Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Senior User

hodges710 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just as the other two said, it was mainly with the heads that had the plugs with the fewer threads. Thankfully on my 98 4.6 with 174,000 I have no problems for I have the 8 threaded plugs.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Senior User

Mark T-TB is starting off with a positive reputation.
the 03 does not have the 3V heads, that didn't start in the Expys until 05 (I think). My 04 w/5.4 still has the 2V heads.
66 Sunbeam Tiger
65 Thunderbird Spcl Landau
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
New User

theroyz71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londart View Post
I'm gonna need to do plugs on my 00 expy 5.4 eventually...dunno when they were done last and it's got roughly 150,000 on it and starting to get worse gas mileage than usual....any recommendations to avoid them blowing out or breaking off...any tips on making a lil easier job
I also have a 00 Expy 5.4L with 151K miles on it. I just got it and I have no idea when the plugs were last changed. Haven't checked the mileage yet.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Freshman User

F16Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had one blow on the passenger side while towing a car trailer with a small 3500lb car on board. Pretty scary when it happens.
O2 Expedition EB with 5.4. At the time it had about 130K miles. That was about a year ago. I dont trust it for towing now just because I wonder if it will happen again.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
blow, f150, ford, models, navigator, plug, plugs, problem, problems, spark, threads, truck, trucks, v8, years