1975 Ford Crew Cab Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never want to push someone into something they might damage their frame with, but for me, it worked out very well. I'd suggest it far more often if I wasn't concerned with how someone might put in the new one. If you cut the original out, you can put in the new one in such a way as to clear the diff, oil pan, steering linkage and a/c compressor. Mine actualy cracked on me, at a weld that I had grinded down too thin to make it look pretty. I rewelded it and have been beating on it ever since with no problems. I do plan on plating it with one unbroken piece of steel in order to overkill it, but no problems since the reweld. Ask and you shall recieve

Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 AM
dragracer1956
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crewcab

I've got a 78-79 crewcab sitting in my back yard that i'm not going to do anything with it's not a 4wd. It has a 351 c6 dana 60 .It's going to hell just sitting there,cab is much better than what you have to deal with.Iwould give it to you for scrap price if wanted it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
jaacina
New User
I am curious to read a detailed thread and panel repair. I have some fixing to do on my '75 crew cab as well.

Originally Posted by DieselMike76
And if you thought your truck was bad check this out.....

You literally can peel the roof off on the right side.

This is before i removed the rivets, sheet metal, silicone bathroom sealant and bondo. Driver and passenger side same.

Bad rust on rear cab mounts.

Here's the beginning of my repair Starting on passenger side
Rusted spots cut out of floor:

Now the inner and outer rocker panel removed:

Notice here that the entire lower door post is missing. It was actually held together with rivets and 1 final piece of rusted metal which fell off when I removed the rocker panel.

I have all my rust repair parts ready to go. I'm thinking of posting a detailed thread about panel repair.

I use cleco's and I haven't seen many posts on how these are used so if anyone is interested I'll be happy to do so.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
DieselMike76
Junior User
I found a '78 Short bed that a guy was getting rid of. So i have a single cab, and bed plus all the front end parts that I was missing I'm picking up in 2 weeks.

BTW I will have an extra factory A/C unit that I will part out since he doesn't want any of it. So if anybody is interested....

As far as body parts I'll be dissecting the cab for pieces since the crew used most of the same parts.

Right now doing finish work on engine mounts and trans crossmemeber.

Been pushing real hard to get this all done and havent taken pics in a while.

I'll post the finished product for this stuff then its on to the next phase.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
409impala1
Junior User
i drive a cummins every day, 4wheel drive mega cab- 6 speed, 22 in winter, 25mpg in summer, can't beat it.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
DieselMike76
Junior User
Ok here are some updates to the project so far.

Mostly just getting engine and trans mounts finished so i can move on to bodywork for the cab since im picking up my '78 short bed body in 2 weeks.

Thinking corrugated cardboard a little too weak even for a 160hp Cummins

Love these welders squares-like having 4 hands

And the final product..

Thanks to Bendog for giving me some ideas from his build.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
DieselMike76
Junior User
I was a little concernd with clearance of the bellhousing on the center crossmember so i notched it and welded in a piece of plate to give some clearance.

Need to do some finish grinding on stuff but here is the direct view of the mounts.

A side view of the passenger side mount.

I like the idea of keeping the frame looking as original as possible so I cut the front crossmember and lowered it like Chasetruck did on his.

To clear the A/C pump on the passenger side of the motor I made a pie cut and bent the top half of the crossemember horizontal to clear the bottom rear bolt on the pump. When i test fit the motor it gave me about 1" of clearance.

Put a coat of Rustoleum on the inside of the Front Crossmember last night and tonight I'm going to weld 'er shut.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good.
Glad to be of some assistance. You have some mad origami skills!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking great....

Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
daddys86rip
Freshman User
if you still can, posting how you did the pannel repairs would be of great help to me. i am restoring and 86 f150 swb 4x4. i need all the help i can get thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Turbosnumberone
New User
Originally Posted by dragracer1956
I've got a 78-79 crewcab sitting in my back yard that i'm not going to do anything with it's not a 4wd. It has a 351 c6 dana 60 .It's going to hell just sitting there,cab is much better than what you have to deal with.Iwould give it to you for scrap price if wanted it.

do you still have that Crew Cab sitting in your back yard. I'd like to know if you still wanna sell it????? send me a txt. 6262307511 I really appreciate it.. thanks

Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
whatever happen to this build? it was looking good then no more updates

Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 PM
DieselMike76
Junior User
Hey guys

Firing up this thread again.

This sound familar? Had our second baby, moved, got busy with work. Tried to find time to work on truck and forgot to post.

I'll be updating now since I have some time. The truck is basically in the final stages.

Engine, tranny, transfer case, D60 Kingpin Front, D70 Rear all rebuilt and detailed. Pics to follow.

Happy to say the cab is done and off to paint.

Here is a link to the bodywork thread so far.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cab-build.html

Teaser pic

Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM
DieselMike76
Junior User
Thanks to all you guys out there that posted your builds.

There is some great ideas and I don't think any of this would have been possible without this forum. No amount of money could buy the knowledge I gained tackling this near 4 year project.

Alright here's the front D60 I sourced off Ebay. Not cheap but being that it was bolt-in and one of the best axles ever it had to be done.

I converted it to crossover steering, added Warn hubs, rebuilt the brakes, went through diff etc...Those springs are from ICON vehicle dynamics and are for 1999+ Super Duty trucks.

Spring Mounts are from Ruffstuff.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM
DieselMike76
Junior User
This is a D70 out of a Dodge Cummins.
Horror story here that ended up costing me a few thousand bucks and a learning lesson on junkyarding.

Advertised as D80. Took along a a wire brush to check stampings...Nope sir you are selling a D70. For whatever reason I bought it. Got him to cut the price in half. so picked it up for $500.

Got so excited didn't even bother to check that the pinion bearing had worn out causing it to chip a tooth on the ring gear. Note: always be wary if pinion bearing thrusts forward 1/2" when you spin axles. My bad. You know the rest.

When i went back and complained he knocked off a few hundred more and threw in these Chevy 63" springs with frame brackets for free. Score!

Converted it to shackle flip (Ruffstuff)

Quick Reply: 1975 Ford Crew Cab Build