6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 V8 vs. 6.8 V10 vs. ??? (gas engines) thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Did you come from a 2 valve or 3 valve V10?

I feel like my dually V10 (3V) is a rocket when unloaded and the pedal smashed. But I have not driven a 6.2 so not much I can offer in comparison.

I do like the exhaust note of the 6.2. Much more "grumbly".
I drove the 3 valve v10. It seems like the v10 is a bit more sluggish IMO than the 6.2 especially in the higher RPM's. The v10 is no slouch especially the 3 valve. The 6 speed transmission in the 6.2 helps too. I agree, the sound of the 6.2 is awesome!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
It seems the thing I read the most is that people felt the V10 had more torquey grunt down low.

If you search out the "Ohio Truck Meet" thread there is a good comparison of many trucks including a 3V and a 6.2 pulling something like 15,000lbs up a steep hill. Both fare well but the 6.2 does make it up a tad bit faster.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
It seems the thing I read the most is that people felt the V10 had more torquey grunt down low.

If you search out the "Ohio Truck Meet" thread there is a good comparison of many trucks including a 3V and a 6.2 pulling something like 15,000lbs up a steep hill. Both fare well but the 6.2 does make it up a tad bit faster.
I saw those videos. I think the 6.2 had the 2nd fastest time. The 6.7 was the fastest! Another thing I like about the 6.2 is it's a very durable motor with not many problems..The v10 is very durable also!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 6 speed is what helped the 6.2l, if it had the 5 speed it would not have faired as well. My dad isn't seeing any increase in mpg over his V10 with the 6.2l. His personal crew cab and the reg cab at work usually are usually around 10.5mpg. That is with the 6.2l shifting for gas mileage.(gets into OD ASAP) The 6.2l sounds good, but the V10 engine sound is good too. Where the V10 doesn't sound so hot is the noise out the tailpipe. Frankly we both have more issues with the horrible interior on the 11'up trucks than the drivetrain. Ford did a pretty horrible job on designing the interior, complete lack of thought and step in the wrong direction.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:16 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dkf
The 6 speed is what helped the 6.2l, if it had the 5 speed it would not have faired as well. My dad isn't seeing any increase in mpg over his V10 with the 6.2l. His personal crew cab and the reg cab at work usually are usually around 10.5mpg. That is with the 6.2l shifting for gas mileage.(gets into OD ASAP) The 6.2l sounds good, but the V10 engine sound is good too. Where the V10 doesn't sound so hot is the noise out the tailpipe. Frankly we both have more issues with the horrible interior on the 11'up trucks than the drivetrain. Ford did a pretty horrible job on designing the interior, complete lack of thought and step in the wrong direction.
What's wrong with the interior? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just wondered what it was you don't like? A lot of people have rode in my truck and everyone thinks it's great. lots of room and nice layout.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:13 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by don123
What's wrong with the interior? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just wondered what it was you don't like? A lot of people have rode in my truck and everyone thinks it's great. lots of room and nice layout.
A lot is wrong with it. For starters it is made for people that are 5'7" and 150lbs. The seats are too high so you end up hitting your head when getting in. Then you notice the sun visers hang down too low and end up in your line of sight. There is less interior room than previous SDs, the width is most noticeable due to the too thick door panels. The seat bottoms are short. The center console sticks front way to far and doesn't recline enough to match the front seats.(seats are all the way back or close to all the way back) When the center console is up you now have ZERO cup holders so when the dog is in the middle on vacation, no cupholders.(a big truck with 2 cup holders really?) Why they axed the lower fold out cupholders like on the 08-10' is beyond me. To put the center console down you need two hands, the old strap release was far superior. The center console is too tall even without the worthless headrest. There is less than half the storage space in the center console compared to older model SDs. No ash tray, no cigarette lighter. The upfitter switches are always getting hit on.

The vents whistle like hell if any of them are closed with the fan on. Ford took away pretty much all under seat and behind seat rear storage away on the CC compared to earlier CC SDs. Not liking the split rear seats at all and Ford axed the console in the rear seat. The front and rear grab handles are flimsey and flex like crazy, the old handles were rock solid. The head rests need 3 hands to adjust because for some reason there are now two locking detents on the head rests. The traction control off button on the passenger side of the truck is stupid. An AUX port and no USB, AUX ports are so 2002.

I am sure I am missing some and I'm not getting into the other parts of the truck that blow or have poor build quality. I have seat time in pretty much every Ford truck (and several non ford) from the 70's on up and I facepalm the most at the interior of this truck. I can't remember an interior that I and my dad had so many issues with than these trucks. It is like Ford tryed to get rid of all the pros of the previous SD interiors to make a craptastic interior. Even my dog doesn't like to ride in it.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dkf
A lot is wrong with it. For starters it is made for people that are 5'7" and 150lbs. The seats are too high so you end up hitting your head when getting in. Then you notice the sun visers hang down too low and end up in your line of sight. There is less interior room than previous SDs, the width is most noticeable due to the too thick door panels. The seat bottoms are short. The center console sticks front way to far and doesn't recline enough to match the front seats.(seats are all the way back or close to all the way back) When the center console is up you now have ZERO cup holders so when the dog is in the middle on vacation, no cupholders.(a big truck with 2 cup holders really?) Why they axed the lower fold out cupholders like on the 08-10' is beyond me. To put the center console down you need two hands, the old strap release was far superior. The center console is too tall even without the worthless headrest. There is less than half the storage space in the center console compared to older model SDs. No ash tray, no cigarette lighter. The upfitter switches are always getting hit on.

The vents whistle like hell if any of them are closed with the fan on. Ford took away pretty much all under seat and behind seat rear storage away on the CC compared to earlier CC SDs. Not liking the split rear seats at all and Ford axed the console in the rear seat. The front and rear grab handles are flimsey and flex like crazy, the old handles were rock solid. The head rests need 3 hands to adjust because for some reason there are now two locking detents on the head rests. The traction control off button on the passenger side of the truck is stupid. An AUX port and no USB, AUX ports are so 2002.

I am sure I am missing some and I'm not getting into the other parts of the truck that blow or have poor build quality. I have seat time in pretty much every Ford truck (and several non ford) from the 70's on up and I facepalm the most at the interior of this truck. I can't remember an interior that I and my dad had so many issues with than these trucks. It is like Ford tryed to get rid of all the pros of the previous SD interiors to make a craptastic interior. Even my dog doesn't like to ride in it.
wow it sounds like the new super dutys are not for you.
I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I am very happy with the seats and the amount of legroom I have. You should check the rams and GMC trucks if you aren' t happy. Make sure to bring your dog to make sure he's ok with your decision.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Leg room is still ok. is not just me that doesn't like it. Every time I get in the truck I get to hear about all the things he doesn't like about it. Honestly he would still have his 03' if it wasn't for the rust and age. Maybe we should have looked at GM or RAM but we have always bought Fords. I have always owned Ford and my dads last non Ford was a Toyota in the 70s.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf

So I'm thinking you have a XL trim truck because our Lariat has none of the problems you are talking about except for the lack of storage under the back seat but ours is a SC so there wasn't that much to begin with.

Denny

Old 01-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 6'4 280 and have a 2015 f250 and I have plenty of room. But I am going to really like the new super duty can even more.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rvpuller
So I'm thinking you have a XL trim truck because our Lariat has none of the problems you are talking about except for the lack of storage under the back seat but ours is a SC so there wasn't that much to begin with.

Denny
Its an XL but has the packages that makes the same as the XLT. We looked at XLT trucks and the interior is the same as his. It is hard to find a 6.2l truck with 4.30s, I checked dealers within 250 miles and the one he bought was the only CC XL or XLT optioned decent with 4.30 gears. The truck is optioned almost identical to his old 03' and my 04' XLT so it was easy to do a side to side comparison. It actually has more on it than my 04, my 04' didn't come with keyless entry/alarm or heated turn signal mirrors. The main issue is the center console/seat. I may see if I can fit an older version console/seat in the truck and swap it out.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
The center console sticks front way to far and doesn't recline enough to match the front seats.(seats are all the way back or close to all the way back) When the center console is up you now have ZERO cup holders so when the dog is in the middle on vacation, no cupholders.t.
I agree with the center console not reclining to match the angle of the front seats on the 40/20/40 bench seat.

Test drove a nice crew cab about a week ago. I am a slightly larger male, so the driver's seat had to be back pretty much all the way. With the middle seat back up, it stuck far enough forward that it pressed against my right shoulder, and pretty much made it uncomfortable to have it up.

Did not notice the fact that it would have zero cup holders with the middle seat up, thanks for the tip.

The cab was huge for me, but it could use some more refinement.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:19 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
I agree with the center console not reclining to match the angle of the front seats on the 40/20/40 bench seat.

Test drove a nice crew cab about a week ago. I am a slightly larger male, so the driver's seat had to be back pretty much all the way. With the middle seat back up, it stuck far enough forward that it pressed against my right shoulder, and pretty much made it uncomfortable to have it up.

Did not notice the fact that it would have zero cup holders with the middle seat up, thanks for the tip.

My 2016 XL has cup holders that fold out below the fan control area and in the fold up center console....

Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RainDesert
My 2016 XL has cup holders that fold out below the fan control area and in the fold up center console....
Think you could post or send me a picture of it? I may be able to get that cup holders from Ford and add it. If he'd have to lose the coin tray and upfitter switches that are currently below the fan controls he can live with that. The 2008-2010 trucks used to have a fold out cup holder about 8" or so below the fan control.

Originally Posted by Powerdude

The cabs are a decent size. I've been in super duties almost daily since mid 1998 so I have gotten used to the interiors on the older trucks. So I noticed the changes made pretty quick on the new truck.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Pics:

Quick Reply: 6.2 V8 vs. 6.8 V10 vs. ??? (gas engines) thread