2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift kit and snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift kit and snow tires

I have a 2005 f150 fx4 and want to lift it and get bigger tires. I do not want anything to huge but definitly noticable. I need to be able to park in my works garage and in the Denver area garages ocassionally. I dont want to sacrafice the gas milage too much either but am willing to sacrafice some. I also do a fair share of mountain driving in the winter. Im not to familiar with lift kits so Im not sure what I should be looking for.Talking with some people they say bigger tires and a 2'' lift would be good. 2'' just doesnt seem that big but maybe its a greater difference than i realize. Also, any brands of tires you all recommend for snow driving? Thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jjoyce11
I have a 2005 f150 fx4 and want to lift it and get bigger tires. I do not want anything to huge but definitly noticable. I need to be able to park in my works garage and in the Denver area garages ocassionally. I dont want to sacrafice the gas milage too much either but am willing to sacrafice some. I also do a fair share of mountain driving in the winter. Im not to familiar with lift kits so Im not sure what I should be looking for.Talking with some people they say bigger tires and a 2'' lift would be good. 2'' just doesnt seem that big but maybe its a greater difference than i realize. Also, any brands of tires you all recommend for snow driving? Thanks
Jodi,
Look into Hell Bent (on ebay), Ready Lift, Autospring and Daystar for a "leveling kit". These are all strut extentions. It's a spacer that installs to the top of the strut on the front and will give you "lift" but raising the front of the truck. A 2" level in the front should clear a metric 35" tire (315/70/17 or a 315/65/18).
As for a snow tire, well that depends. Do you want to go super aggresive, like a mud terrain? Or would you rather have a quiet ride and good road manners? The tire selections vary greatly. Check out Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and look through their offerings. They won't carry some of the more aggressive tires like a Toyo Open Country M/T but they do have a great selection of things.
I personally prefer Michelin's tires, but they are pricey. Lots of folks will steer you towards Bridgestone and Goodyear.
Good luck finding what you need!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
I know im gonna go with a suspension lift versus spacers/body lift, I guess i should have included that. it seems more safe/practical from the research I have done. I currently have 18inch tires on. Thaks for the tire website, its awesome. I am not wanting real agressive but definitly somehting good, no sliding around haha. it has yet to snow here, which is really weird it hasnt, so I havent gotten to test out the bridgestones yet.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:45 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Check out Dunlop's Grandtrek SJ6 snow tires. They are phenomenal, and we have way above normal snowfall this year.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
ruli00
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
First this I would do is find out the hight of the parking garage you need to get into. You might not fit with any lift.

I have a 4x4 with a 2.5" level, and can't fit into the garage at my local mall.(with or without the level kit)

-ruli00

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only "lift kit" I would do on my truck would be at least 4" and that would put you out of any garage that I can think of. I don't even think they make a 2" suspension lift. At that point you are stuck with leveling the front or a body lift which most of us will agree is crap.

A 2" leveling kit will be a good choice for you and you should not have any trouble with it. I have a 3" leveling and 1" rear block and I can not get in garages that are less then 6'5" and that is pushing it.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
My truck is stock, it the antenna hits the roof in the parkade at my work. it's listed as 6'4" tall, haven't actually measured the truck.

As for tires, actual dedicated snow tires will be noticeably better than AT tires for the few days a year when you are driving on ice or packed snow. I can't imagine your weather is any worse than Calgary, and I am planning on getting Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. I had them on my Expedition, and they were impressive. They have that "mountain and snowflake" symbol, but they are All Seasons, not dedicated snow tires. for me, that's a good compromise. The Blizzaks would probably be better on ice, if that's your prime concern.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess I need to take a step back for a minute. I though I knew what was out there and available but I am a little in over my head now. i know there is the body lift and suspension lift. The susupension from what i have read is suppose to be better for the truck in general. I dont really know anything about spacers,blocks, or leveling kits and what the biggest difference is between them and in comparison to the lift kits.

What I am looking for is a way to raise my truck to give it a more "macho" look. I will invest in bigger tires as I know this is important and makes the truck look proportionate. i dont plan on doing a lot of off roading with it but it is definitly something I will be partipating in.I am willing to spend some money for quality. I definitly want to get something that will last and is not too wearing on the truck. I am willing to invest in this but not spend a ton. What suggestion would you all have? Thanks

Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Sounds like you should first figure out a budget, then go from there. At least that's what I would do.
Maybe you want to spend $4,000. If so, then you're looking at a 6" suspension lift ($2000+) 35" tires and new wheels ($1500-2000), but then you need someone to install it right?

A 2" level should run you no more than $500 install (and even less expensive if you go with HellBent or AutoSpring). You can keep your factory 18" wheels and step up to a 305/70/18 to give you a nice larger tire without going too massive. A leveling kit and new tires, with alignment, and install shouldn't run you more than $2,000 out the door.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
good idea Chandler. I guess its kinda hard not knowing the differnece betwwen my options. some are more affordable than others and I need to understand them more before I can make any real decisions. i dont think i would go any bigger than a 4'' lift. If I can get away with 3000 or less and a good set up for my truck that would be ideal. i understand the lift kits but how is a leveling kit different or what does a leveling kit do to the truck vs. lift kit? once i understand the leveling I think ill be better off. thanks!!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
This may give you a little insight into how a leveling kit works:
Ready To Lift Your Ford F150

Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I recommend you do is to review the information Chandler posted about how a leveling kits works. Then go through peoples garages and look at their trucks and see what they have done. Contact a few of them and get some feedback from them as to how they like the changes they made.

I have a 3" leveling kit and while I love the look it has given my truck I may end up down the road with a suspension lift of some sort.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 AM
jllang2
Senior User
Check out procomps, a/t, it does great in slick conditions

Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Jake07-XLT
New User
hope this helps

i have a 07 extended cab and i put a 2.5 inch leveling kit and 305x60R18 nitto terra grappler which is pretty much a 33x12.50 and 18x9 wheels and its a noticeable difference but not to big i cant fit into parking garages or anything and the gas mileage isn't that much of a difference i have 3.55 gear ratio idk what urs is but either 3.55 or 3.73 u wont notice that big of a difference

heres a couple pics of it to give ya an idea ... hope this help ya out man

Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 PM
jllang2
Senior User
a lil too close to mine, I have a 6" lift, 35/12.50 on 17x9 rims and 3.73 gears

Quick Reply: lift kit and snow tires