Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Timurgen
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 IDI set in Chevy Silverado3500

hi all.

recently I visited the Crazy idea:

I have the opportunity to purchase Chevy silverado3500 dually 2003, but the truck without an engine (6.6 Duramax), automatic transmission, transfer case .... they simply do not .... removed somebody...

also have the opportunity to purchase half-alive F-series truck with engine 7.3 and the gearbox and transfer box.

reason for such a conversion --- 7.3engine - is relatively simple and not demanding to the quality of fuel as opposed to "modern" light diesel engines such as 6.6 Duramax.

except for this - overall simplicity and reliability of designs, and besides - the availability of spare parts for motor 7.3 IDI

emerges the following work:

1. implement engine, tranny, transfer case
2. cardans dock ...
3, replace the block pedals
4. put the clutch master cylinder
5. exhaust tract ...
6. wiring
7. pipe radiator
8. air-conditioning ducts
9. hydraulic piping steering

What other difficulties might arise? In addition to installing the engine and transmission to the frame Chevy
and whether anyone else in the states of such things?

tell me where I can buy a turbo kit for 7.3

sorry for the confusion. and for my English ... until it is at the stage of ideas and information gathering ...

Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
ADTMan
Elder User
Time and money spent on that type of a conversion to a truck that still books around 15 grand would be something for somebody who has more money than brains. Easier and cheaper to put in a 6.6 you can find them relatively inexpensively if you look around and are patient. If anything you could flip the chevy and buy a really really nice ford. Just my $.02. I do know that the 6.6 around here, engine only, goes for around 7 grand. I promise you spend way more than that to do this type of conversion correctly. The electronics on that type of conversion are going to be a nightmare and very very expensive. I would just drop in a duramax and drive it or sell it.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Basically put your engine,trans, and transfer case together and set it in the truck and go from there. It can be done without to much trouble. Actually the hydraulic clutch, in this case, is a plus because you have flexibility of where you can installed it....You will have to make some stuff but nothing complicated.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
ADT he is in Russia. Your thoughts crossed my mind then I noticed where he was from. He may be lucky to find what he has found.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Timurgen has been here several times before.

From past conversations he is picking up oil company trucks from the oil field equipment sales.
And I get the feeling there are a good many of them running around over there.

If I remember right he has/had an 03 F350 6.0 4x4 crew cab and a 92 F350 4x4 crew cab IDI.

I will never forget his original post, in Russian.
Здравствуйте,
у меня F350 7,3 дизель 92 года.
кто нибудь может подсказать температуру при которой открывается термостат?

при движении даже в сильную жару (32С-35С) температура не поднимается выше буквы R (в "Normal").
у нас скоро зима наступит и я боюсь что буду замерзать в машине изза недостаточного прогрева двигателя.

That was about the same time I became a moderator, and wondered what that said and how to answer it.

In answer to your present question, I will not say it can not be done.
Over here, that would be almost impossible to put on the road, engine emissions would have to meet 2003 levels.
But I think you are going to be looking at a lot of custom wiring and making several parts just to mount the engine/transmission/transfer case and get them to work with the Chevy body.

Getting the IDI to run, not a problem, you only need one wire to the fuel shut off solenoid and glow plug controller as long as the engine is 87 or newer.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Timurgen
5th Wheeling
Dave, all right. I welcome you!
I had a 1992 F350 with 7.3 motor

I sold it in May2010 . and a little bit sorry about it (((
and immediately bought Ram2500 2001 5.9 diesel quadcab

During this time drove it more than 70kkm

do not want to hear the sound of tractor inline engine!!! )))

I want to drive a truck with a V8 diesel engine.

Besides considerations of reliability and maintainability lead to the conclusion that in my conditions so the engine can only be a 7.3 IDI.

heard a lot about how people are to their 6.0 and 6.4 engines were working normally on our fuels are investing in them even for 5-7 thousand dollars.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Timurgen
5th Wheeling
Is America's no such conversions are not involved? or you simply makes no sense to do it?

I will explain - Chevy silverado 2003 I can buy for around 10-12k with us ....without engn

the same will cost engine 6.6 duramax
delivery US - Russia - about 5000 dollars

Total 12+10+5 = 27k

and F series with 7,3 IDI entirely - about 2-3k dollars in Russia.

and a prompt for a turbo kit for the 7.3 IDI - except Banks somebody produces them?

price of 2900 for the full set - not so I like

Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

If you can make the mounts for the engine/transmission/transfer case I do think it will fit.

Rear drive shaft would be custom made.
Front drive shaft, I think Chevy has the drive shaft on the oposite side from Ford, that might be a problem.

Engine to start and run, not a problem.
Gauges and such in the cab, probably will not work with the older Ford engine.

The only swap like that I remember was an IDI into an even older Chevy Suburban.

For what it is worth, I think you are an OK guy.
Anybody that wants to put a Ford/International IDI motor in a 2003 Chevy and call it an upgrade has to be fun to be around.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
I think Chevy has the drive shaft on the opposite side from Ford, that might be a problem.
The newer trucks have transfer cases that swing to the left now. Ford Chevy and Dodge.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

The problem here is the Enviromental Protection Agency.

If you put say a 93 engine in a 2003 vehicle, it has to meet 2003 emission levels.

The EPA was the reason for the end of the IDI here.
It could not pass emissions for the late 90's, so out comes the 7.3 Power Stroke in 94.5. That engine went the way of the IDI in 2003 when the 6.0 was introduced, again to meet even stronger EPA emission standards.

See how much attention I pay to Chevy?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
The problem here is the Enviromental Protection Agency.

If you put say a 93 engine in a 2003 vehicle, it has to meet 2003 emission levels.
I don't think that would be an issue. As far as modifications go that wouldn't really be any different then these guys taking DPF's off and programing ECM.s Yeh it's illegal but the EPA isn't going to knock on your door YET. Unless you have vehicle emissions testing in your area.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 PM
GenLightening
Senior User
Why would anyone do that to a Chevy?

Mine was a '90 (now an '86, shhh) into an '88 and in NV we don't have emmissions checks where I live. Probably much simpler than into a 2003 with electronic speedo and everything else. I'm not saying it can't be done, just a little more involved. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:12 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
well, i would not worry so much about the speedo, because that is run of the VSS in the rear axle. the only down side i can see to putting an IDI into that new chevy is that you will need to use an aftermarket gauge panel to monitor the engine oil pressure, and coolant temps,and that the itty bitty chevy front tie rod ends will not support the ford engines weight.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
has anyone else noticed that our new friend from Russia types better English than Joe does??

Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
GenLightening
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
has anyone else noticed that our new friend from Russia types better English than Joe does??
Now that's funny right there!

Quick Reply: 7.3 IDI set in Chevy Silverado3500