Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
WVO Newbie: What do I need?

Ok, I am relying on you the experts to help me make a good decision. I live in NE Ohio, 0 degree temps are not unusual here. I want to run WVO on my truck. I don't drive long distances very often so quick warm up and purge times are very important to me. I also would rather not give up bed space to a tank, so I'd like to keep it under the truck.

What is by best plan of attack? I need to keep the price reasonable, since I don't have much to spend on this. My first thought was to piece together my own system using the best parts available since I am pretty handy in fabrication and have a shop with a service pit in it. However I have heard some say that you will spend double what you thought you would on getting started if you go this route and just to buy a kit from someone.

Looking for input here as I want to get this right. I don't have the money to do it wrong and wreck something. I also can't afford to buy junk, so I'm looking for advice on my situation.

I'd also like to hear what your setups are for filtering, separating / dewatering the oil.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Also, I have heard mention of "dead heading" the fuel rails by feeding both systems into them simultaneously. Is this a good alternative for my application?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Senior User

Bill97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever build this? I found my first oil source and am researching the best and cheapest way to build my own system. I will continue to search the forums. Was just wondering how your build went and what resources helped you?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Post Fiend

I haven't done anything as of yet. Actually I am about to build my filtering setup and start burning some waste oil straight by cutting it with diesel. I've talked to several other who have run them this way in the summer, so I am going to give it a shot.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 PM