Sponsored by: Moser

looking for pictures of 70's ford f250's with stacks

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Redneckryder
I have heard that stacks are illegal on gasoline powered vehicles--in the state of Michigan at least. If I am wrong, don't go all ape**** on me, just what I have heard.
Even the Dodge Lil Red Express that came from the factory with stacks?

Josh

Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 AM
jskinner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with some of these other guys dont do it man! Looks good on most new body style diesels but not these old gassers!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Why?.....I thought stacks were on big rigs and dump trucks and stuff for a purpose like keeping dirty exhaust off of the trailers, pedestrians, and city driving, and they were soo big because of the massive engine? Also, big trucks have REAL deseil engines wich have differnt needs and requirments. So, unless someone plans on putting a 1,200LB+ REAL deseil engine in a truck instead of a "deseil" like a cummins, powerstroke, duramax or other random engine that are basiclly a gas engine without spark plugs......why? If you have a pick-up, or suv....keep it looking like one....not a big-rig wanna-be. And as for the 5" stacks, like i said, look up the specs of a REAL deseil engine, they are like 1,200LB turbocharged 4 cylinders, 400HP, 1,300 LBs of TQ, and they need the pipes. As for a little gas or deseil....even if it is a 7.3 or whatever...no need for it. And yes, some trucks do have small 2.5" stacks, but not for wanna-be looks. It is for deep water crossing, and when used with a snorkle as well as a waterproofed ignition and truck, they serve their purpose. So, i guess you can tell that in my opinion, i think "stacks" are not for pick-ups or suv's, even if they are a deseil.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
I wouldnt ruin my bed for em...............Cummins or not. Just my opinion.
I agree about the bed also, just like "stacks" have a purpose on REAL deseils like big rigs, beds have a purpose on pick-ups and that purpose does not include exhaust sticking through them......

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have seen some dents with flatbeds or service utility type beds with stacks that looked pretty dang sharp, however the stacks ran up the back side of the cab in front of the bed, not thru the bed. And they were dual rear wheel one tons. In fact I may do it to my 96 F350 Powestroke service truck at some point. They WILL NOT be 5,6 or 8" stacks though. More like 2 1/2" with some perforated heat shields (think '70's style side pipes mounted vertically}. That way they are proportionally correct and dont look like someone dropped a big chrome pipe and it stuck............

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
bigblu78
Senior User
Originally Posted by mdr617
Why?.....I thought stacks were on big rigs and dump trucks and stuff for a purpose like keeping dirty exhaust off of the trailers, pedestrians, and city driving, and they were soo big because of the massive engine? Also, big trucks have REAL deseil engines wich have differnt needs and requirments. So, unless someone plans on putting a 1,200LB+ REAL deseil engine in a truck instead of a "deseil" like a cummins, powerstroke, duramax or other random engine that are basiclly a gas engine without spark plugs......why? If you have a pick-up, or suv....keep it looking like one....not a big-rig wanna-be. And as for the 5" stacks, like i said, look up the specs of a REAL deseil engine, they are like 1,200LB turbocharged 4 cylinders, 400HP, 1,300 LBs of TQ, and they need the pipes. As for a little gas or deseil....even if it is a 7.3 or whatever...no need for it. And yes, some trucks do have small 2.5" stacks, but not for wanna-be looks. It is for deep water crossing, and when used with a snorkle as well as a waterproofed ignition and truck, they serve their purpose. So, i guess you can tell that in my opinion, i think "stacks" are not for pick-ups or suv's, even if they are a deseil.
Umm ... WOW!! Thats a little on the uneducated side isn't it? Let me start by saying first off that the days of the "converted" gas to diesel engine in a passenger vehicle are long gone. Second, Powerstrokes and Duramax engines are much different than "gas engines without spark plugs." They are a true diesel engine. They may be "V8" in design but that is the choice of the manufacturer. As far as the 6bt and 4bt Cummins engine that are used in production vehicles, you may want to take a look at that design as well. For all purposes, it is a slightly smaller version of the same engines that is found in road trucks.
Last of all, you need to look up the specs of a "real" diesel engine yourself. Almost all road trucks are powered by an inline 6 diesel engine. Power outputs can range anywhere from 225hp to 600hp. They do have torque numbers over 1000 ft/lbs usually. You are right that stacks are "normally" put on trucks to clear suit and smoke from the line of sight of other motorist. However, you do need to do some research on what these production pickup trucks are doing these days. Ford, Dodge and Chevy. With the simple addition of a tuner, new turbo and a set of injectors, these trucks are pushing 400-800 rwhp. Yes, thats REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER!! They are also laying down 600-1200 rwtq numbers. To me, thats not a "LITTLE" diesel like you stated. And YES... most of these pickups need 4-6 inch exhaust to get it done. All while still getting 17-25mpg!!! Do you want all that smoke in your face? Thats why they run stacks. Plus the NDHRA and NDPA require upward facing exhaust in case of turbo failure.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:20 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Stacks really turn my stomach

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 650
I like stacks on a truck but imo to me there needs to be some requirements for them. first off if your engine is so power dead it gets passed by priuses, it shouldn`t have stacks. Also I think it needs to be diesel and smoke. Also they have to be 5in. or bigger. It amazes me how many times I have seen people with 2 2and a half in. pipes sticking up through their bed and it just looks like crap.
There needs to be an upper size limit too though. On another forum I'm on I've seen pics of trucks with about 12" dia. (yes 12 - not a type-o!) posted. They look worse than the 2.5" ones. Oh, and speaking of the 2.5" ones - the only time I've really seen those is on a trail type truck that gets used a lot and the exhaust is routed up to keep water out of it during stream/water crossings.

I'm not a huge fan of stacks (hardly ever see them here in So. Cal.) but I have seen some that look clean/good. I BRIEFLY thought about running a single, 5-6" stack on my '74 crew that is getting the cummins. Since I will have a chase rack on the bed though and tires will be sitting up there on it I don't need my exhaust heating up the tires...
Instead the current thought is a hood stack or quick exit behind the front, passenger wheel

Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sure glad to hear that most of you dentsiders don't like stacks (I used to be a dentsider too) buy my group on the '99-'03 PSD forum seem to like the stacks....I think stacks look stupid sticking through a pick up truck bed regardless if its gas or diesel powered.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chasetruck, go for the hoooooood stack! I've always thought there's no meaner look, wanted to run hood pipes on demo cars in the past, but never had the time to spend making them, when they were just going to be destroyed.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
would a hood stack be legal? not that I'd go that route just wondering

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM
MonsterTruck\m/
Senior User
Originally Posted by alex severson
hoping you guys might be able to get some pictures of some f250's with stacks,trying to decide if its really worth doing
go to youtube and type in "alaskaforby4" that guy has a 76 or 78 dont remeber f-250 with stacks in most of his video's

Old 12-21-2010, 04:48 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Like I said...JUST MY OPINION....pick-ups dont need stacks....if you really do get a peterbuilt

Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
I like that alaskaforby4's truck except for the stick on scoops, the stacks look good and sound really great-think one video said its a 390.I'm gonna go stacks and trying to decide between flat black or army green-either way it'll be 2 tone with white on the middle of sides and on the roof with a Boss 429 or early hemi style scoop

Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, 2 pages of opinions but not a single pic.

Do some searches on some popular car/truck sites (cardomain, supermotors) on the year(s) truck you want to see or google images and see what pops up.

With aesthetics; you can play with some simple photo editing programs to see how placement and scale work out. Taste is an individual thing, it's your truck and there's only one person you need to please. If you go this route post up a pic.

Quick Reply: looking for pictures of 70's ford f250's with stacks