1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

side air bag/ fron seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 PM
moose_j9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side air bag/ fron seat removal

I apologize if this too long to read....I am planing to pull the front seat to look at heat issue with climate control and i reviews the factory manual and i am looking more clarification on this one..... I know the location of sensor and i can deplete power by disconnecting battery....

This is what it says in factory repair manual....

NOTE: Airbag simulators (restraint system diagnostic tools) MUST be installed under the seats in the side airbag to floor connector.

NOTE: Diagnostics or repairs are not to be performed on a side airbag system with the seat in the vehicle. Prior to attempting to diagnose/repair the side airbag system, the seat must be removed from the vehicle and the restraint system diagnostic tool must be installed in side airbag connector at the floor connector. The restraint system diagnostic tool must be removed prior to operating the vehicle.

NOTE: Diagnostics may be performed on seat systems other than the side airbag system (lumbar, climate controlled, heated, power seat track) with the seat installed in the vehicle, as long as the restraint system diagnostic tool is installed under the seat in the side airbag to floor connector.

My question is even i disconnect the battery and eventually there is no power, do i still need to have RS tool connect to side airbag to floor connector..?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No guarantees but, I think it's safe once the battery is disconnected. It's always been so for me when working on the steering wheel and removing the air bag.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM
moose_j9
Junior User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
No guarantees but, I think it's safe once the battery is disconnected. It's always been so for me when working on the steering wheel and removing the air bag.
So you disconnect the battery, pull the connector apart for SRS bag and after you done, reconnect the connector and battery and all good to go?

Thats what was my uderstanding too but i get confuse when it says MUST install the tool in the seat connector even no battery power...

Thanks Mel

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
It may not be safe but, I don't disconnect the battery any more when pulling the s. wheel bags. I think that tool is just to keep OSHA off of Ford's *ss. Of course some dummy at the dealership will find a way to mess up and blow the bag.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM
moose_j9
Junior User
It may not be safe but, I don't disconnect the battery any more when pulling the s. wheel bags. I think that tool is just to keep OSHA off of Ford's *ss. Of course some dummy at the dealership will find a way to mess up and blow the bag.
I will disconnect the battery for sure .....i am sure dealer way is book way and also money making tool for them.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
I think what you are talking about is the airbag simulator being installed after the bag is unplugged. The only reason to plug in the simulator is to make the system think there is a functioning bag in place so the rest of the system can be diagnosed.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
moose_j9
Junior User
Originally Posted by c_hohensee
I think what you are talking about is the airbag simulator being installed after the bag is unplugged. The only reason to plug in the simulator is to make the system think there is a functioning bag in place so the rest of the system can be diagnosed.
Craig you are right. I just spoke to the someone at dealer and he told me that as long as you disconnect the battery, you are safe and he also said his guys have simulator which they hook up with that. My concern was safety and he said it's all good. Now i can repair the seat cover from inside and also check on heating pad....

Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Have at it and let us know the results.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
moose_j9
Junior User
Have at it and let us know the results.
Ok, done with seat repair. I disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes and pull the connector apart and removed the seat. Back portion of leather cover is glued in with foam so i only left the front portion of it. Seat cover was torn apart almost 8 inches, i used the strip of leather and glue it in from inside.

It looks pretty good and hard to notice the torn apart area. Happy with repair. Put everything together, connect the side air bag connector and battery. No problem and no issue at all....

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by moose_j9
Ok, done with seat repair. I disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes and pull the connector apart and removed the seat. Back portion of leather cover is glued in with foam so i only left the front portion of it. Seat cover was torn apart almost 8 inches, i used the strip of leather and glue it in from inside.

It looks pretty good and hard to notice the torn apart area. Happy with repair. Put everything together, connect the side air bag connector and battery. No problem and no issue at all....
Glad it worked out for you. A couple of years ago I changed the seat covers on my '94 Mark VIII to the newer covers from a '98 and there was foam glued onto the leather as well as some areas being held with hog nose rings but the changeover went well and the seats look like they came from the factory that way.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
You can also get new aftermarket skins on ebay should the repair not hold.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
moose_j9
Junior User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
You can also get new aftermarket skins on ebay should the repair not hold.
Yes, i am keeping my finger cross. New cover is too expensive at dealer... so ebay will be the place...sometime ago i saw exact leather cover on ebay , i don't recall if it was OEM or aftermarket....

Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I saw 3/4 set in the bone yard yesterday, the passenger side looked like new in an Expedition that looked just like the ones in my Navigator. Gray in color with the perforated seats but no heat. The drivers side was gone, I wonder why?