1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Semi-Auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
dieselstreamer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Semi-Auto headlights

I would like to modify the wiring to my head and tail lights so that they will only be able to come on when the accessory wire has power.

Does anyone know of a place that the power to these lights can be cut and a relay inserted?

Thanks Dave

Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What accessory wire or device are you talking about?
Do you have a Canadian truck where the light are on all the time (daylight running module)?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Were DRL's even an option on an OBS???

Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Were DRL's even an option on an OBS???
Yes they were... But only for trucks sold in Canada.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT
Yes they were... But only for trucks sold in Canada.
Learn something new every day... I thought that started with the Super Dutys. Given OP's location it wouldn't unheard of that he's got a Canadian truck.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
on the driver side down next to the radiator on the very front next to were the bumper is, i think i may be accessible from the fender well... theres a single lume of wires that plug into a small black box, pretty sure its just hanging out in there, just unplug that little box and throw it away, that is the DTRL box, i cant tell you the exact location of it since ive never done it, my friend did it and he showed me were it was. i saw the wire lume hanging after so its easy to do. just take a few minutes and look. im almost positive its mounted by the bumper mounts?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think we all need more info about what he's wanting to do before we can give advice. I read the title and thought he was meaning auto headlamps like most cars and the SD pickups have. But then read his post and I'm not sure.

If he's only wanting to do away with DRL, then he needs to replace the module that Steve mentioned above with the factory plug that is needed. You can get buy without the plug, but I've heard that something doesn't light up on the instrument cluster or something like that.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by strokersace
I think we all need more info about what he's wanting to do before we can give advice. I read the title and thought he was meaning auto headlamps like most cars and the SD pickups have. But then read his post and I'm not sure.

If he's only wanting to do away with DRL, then he needs to replace the module that Steve mentioned above with the factory plug that is needed. You can get buy without the plug, but I've heard that something doesn't light up on the instrument cluster or something like that.
X2 on that. And I think the plug its a jumper.
Just in case I put this pic and you can see the DRL between the connector of the heather and the tire:

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 AM
dieselstreamer
New User
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner.

My truck's first owner was the state of WA, I am second owner, so I don't think it is Canadian.

I do not have daytime running lights, or any other custom wiring.

When it's raining or foggy in the daytime, I simply want the lights to go out when I pull the key.

I said accessory wire, meaning the common power source for accessories like the radio, not any certain acc.

This truck is wired like almost every US vehicle, unless you have the fancy auto head light systems like my Explorer Limited Edition, which is that you can leave the lights on without the key. At first I figure they did it because the didn't want to run the power through the key switch, but after they had good relays, why is a car or truck able to have the lights on, without the key? If you want to have lights for some thing, put the key to the acc pos.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, not a bad idea ...

The "Dark Green Wire" going to the windshield wiper motor has power in ACC or Run. That probably would be the easiest one to tap into for relay power.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
I'm still a little confused. Are you wanting auto headlights like the superduties? That will activate automatically when it senses low light situations? And they start up automatically at night when you turn the key on, then shut off when you turn the key off?

If so, I'm sure it can be done. It'll just take some fab work. Probably the best bet would be to get the wiring, switch, time delay relay, etc from a newer vehicle with this option.

It's a feature that was starting to become standard on some Ford/Mercury/Lincoln model cars in the mid '90's. Like my mom's 96 Mercury Sable has auto headlamps. Didn't become standard in the Ford truck world until '01 or '02 in the SD diesels. It's a great feature, and like anything, can probably be retrofitted if you want to fab it up.

My '95 in my sig was pretty optioned up for an XLT that year. It has keyless entry, and the dual sunvisor/vanity mirror option. It's something they discontinued in '96. Anyway, I've noticed that with the keyless option, it does shut the interior lights off after a certain amount of time (if left on by accident or your door is open for extended periods). I think it's like 30 minutes. My old '02 SD was the same way only it was 20 minutes. Also, there's like a minute delay or so in the interior lights shutting off after I close the doors after it's been shut off. I've never tried to leave the headlight switch on to see if it shuts them down or not. Maybe I will tonight just to see!!

The other night I left my dome lights on in the truck (by turning the headlight **** to activate them). When I went out to start it the next morning, I couldn't figure out why the lights were on after I'd shut all the doors and had it running. Then it dawned on me that I'd left the doom lights activated and it had automatically shut them off.

Not sure if you've got keyless entry or not, but something you might try if you do. Also, you may have given me an idea on another "convienence mod" for my truck!!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM
dieselstreamer
New User
No I do not want to bother with a full auto headlight system, thats why I called it, semi-auto, if you read the last part of the post I stated I own a Explorer Limited Edition, it has all the bells and gizmo's you can think of, full auto headlights is just part of it.

Both of my rigs have keyless entry, and are programed to the same remote keyfobs, (which makes life easier) and both will turn off interior lights if you leave them on long enough, about 20 minutes for the Explorer, and about 45 minutes for the F-250 PSD.

I simply want to insert a relay into the power supply wire to the head / tail light circuit it would be powered by the acc power wire.

I have a tap on the acc wire already, I use it to power my GPS so it shuts off and turns on, with the rest of the acc's like the radio.

In my first post, I asked,
Does anyone know of a place that the power to these lights can be cut and a relay inserted?

I just want to know the best place to cut into the power wire to the head light switch,
I love this truck, it is in better than brand new condition, less than 115k miles, first 104k it was maintained like clockwork by the state, around here they don't let it go out if the mileage is time for an oil change, It is the last truck I will own, it's primary mission is to pull my 34' Airstream travel trailer ( hence Dieselstreamer )

I think some people are over thinking this thing, I just want to cut power when the key comes out, I can turn them on when I feel like it while I'm driving.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Ok, gotcha now.

Would you even need to insert a relay? I mean what it sounds like is you want the power supply to the headlights to be ran off of something like the radio or similar, like you stated? Yes, I've read all your posts, I just wanna make sure I'm understanding!!

Sounds to me that all you need to do is move your power source from the "all time hot" lead to a fused "accessory" or "key-on" hot. As for that specific wire, I don't know off the top of my head.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
dieselstreamer
New User
I am relatively certain that the fused accessory circuit can not handle the current for the headlights.

I WANT to use a RELAY!

I give up I will figure it out myself

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dieselstreamer
I am relatively certain that the fused accessory circuit can not handle the current for the headlights.

I WANT to use a RELAY!

I give up I will figure it out myself
That makes complete sense about the current draw of the headlights. Then yeah, you would need a relay.

And we're all just trying to help you with having only what you've typed to go off of. If you want to get your panties all up in a bunch over that, they sorry, don't know what to tell you. If you settle down and take constructive advice or questions on what you're trying to do, then stay a while. You may learn something. If nobody understands your question then maybe reword it. We are not you and do not know exactly what you're wanting. All we have to go off of is what is typed on our screens. In your proccesses of figuring out how to do this, what wires to use, etc etc, you may share it with the FTE community and others can benefit from it as well.

Relax and stay a while.

Quick Reply: Semi-Auto headlights