2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tire Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Sensor

Has anyone come across a good source for getting oem replacement sensors for our trucks?

I have a bad sensor fault on the TPMS. I checked the tires and discovered the belt holding the sensor in place snapped. So now I need to replace the whole sensor.

Any help would be great

Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
eddiemoney
Senior User
Are you going to take it somewhere or do it yourself?

Perhaps a warranty item depending on the age of your truck

Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Cabinboy07
Freshman User
Ebay has them for $61 ea for an 07 OEM sensor, or you could go with one of the off brands and save even more.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
chuck s
Elder User
You can also use a aftermaket band.

-- Chuck

Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
No, I was planning on taking it back to the place that put all four tires on it.
Not sure about the aftermarkets....My concern would be how reliable are they?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM
chuck s
Elder User
I'm running an aftermarket band right now. Have been for over a year. OEM sensor. I do not know the brand.

-- Chuck

Old 12-25-2010, 03:44 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Update:
Thanks for everyone's help!
I went ahead and took your suggestions and purchased the sensor.
I'm now up and running with no alarms.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarbonClear
I'm now up and running with no alarms.
Isn't that a relief!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
fminperry
Freshman User
Can anyone explain what exactly you purchased? Or explain how the system works? How did you identify the bad sensor? By a broken band, etc? Was this discovered when you got new 'sneaks' for your truck? I have a 2007 EL with the same issue. (recent vehicle purchase so I am not famialiar with the system TPMS)
Sensor warn illuminated and message on start up. However, all tires maintain proper pressure and my mechanic even double checked the spare tire thinking that might cause this!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by fminperry
Can anyone explain what exactly you purchased? Or explain how the system works? How did you identify the bad sensor? By a broken band, etc? Was this discovered when you got new 'sneaks' for your truck? I have a 2007 EL with the same issue. (recent vehicle purchase so I am not famialiar with the system TPMS)
Sensor warn illuminated and message on start up. However, all tires maintain proper pressure and my mechanic even double checked the spare tire thinking that might cause this!!!
My scenario was different then whats been happening on the boards. I knew I had a bad sensor when my left rear looked like a pin cushion from all the roofing nails that spilled on the roadway. When I hit the nails, I got lucky and only one tire was hit. I couldn't pull off safely fast enough , so I knew I would probably have problems with the sensor. When getting new shoes I found out my sensor and band snapped. I attempted to use a new strap with the old sensor and was keeping the fingers crossed so wouldn't need to replace it. Surely enough that lasted about a week. So I ordered a new sensor.

About your problem. I had issues with the TPMS when I was just using air and I've had far fewer if any when I switched from air to nitrogen filled tires. When I had air the tires seem to fluctuate the pressure thus tripping the sensors. Since I've had the nitrogen I rarely need to get them filled and no problems with the tpms.

Also did your mechanic use a device to check the sensors? You don't need to take off the tires to do this. The device will read if the sensors are working properly or not.

Sorry I can't be more of help. But you do have some great people here that can help. You may want to record a little history of when and what the truck is doing when your sensors trip. The more info you post, the better it will be for someone to help you out.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Maxsplat
New User
Hey guys. I'm new but I just read another post about a similar issue. I'm copying and pasting a fix that HarleyGuy posted. Hopefully this isn't copyrighted material. Lol

"fminperry - I bought my sensors from tpmswholesalers.com. They were about $33 each. Manufacturer is Orange and part number is OEC1043. Work perfectly. The reset tool is Ford part number 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft part number TPMS19) which lists for $37.98... I used the below procedure to retrain my sensors.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training

NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB). For additional information, refer to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation. See: Tire Monitoring System\Testing and Inspection\Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.

NOTE: The SJB has a 2-minute time limit between sensor responses. If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate. For vehicles with the same tire pressure for front and rear tires , tire rotation will not affect the system.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.

2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position. The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

6. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the activation tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem. Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

8. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated. Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

The reset tool is Ford part number 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft part number TPMS19) which lists for $37.98...

I bought the reset tool from Tasca ford. The procedure above works.

My system works great - no false indications...

Hope this helps.

RP"

I found it informative and hope it helps save some time with searching the forums for the answer.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Blacknav
Junior User
I just bought new rims for my 07 Navi L and put them on yesterday. I followed HarleyGuy's post and bought the Orange Sensors Part # OEC1043 from tpmswholsalers.com and got the reset tool (TPMS19) from tasca ford.

Threw on the rims and followed the steps posted above and I'm back up and running!!.

Only thing to add is when preforming the steps do them with your driver door open. Since they have the "Retained Accessory Power" feature which keeps the radio etc. on until you open the door, it prevented the truck from seeing the key cycles during the programming.

Thanks HarleyGuy!!!