Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Junior User

SMF Speed&Custom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headlights and Retainer Clips

I tried pulling the headlights out of my 92 F150 with no luck. The stock metal clips broke and I cannot find any new ones locally and have got to get these put in by tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone here have any tips on getting these things off, where to buy new ones and what tool I need to take them off? I know that on each side they need to be pulled out and then up but I tried and they just snap. I am trying to pull the entire headlamp assembly out to replace with new lenses since the stock ones are badly pitted and yellowed beyond repair.
What is the correct name for these little metal clips as well? I am hoping that the stealership has them in stock because no local auto parts places do. From what I hear, the only place to find them are at the junk yard... I sure wish there was a different style clip that would work just as well because these things are a pain in the butt!!!

Thanks in advance for ANY info or help at all!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I used needle nose pliers when I removed mine. Have to asked the local Ford dealer? Its worth a shot if you need them fast. Otherwise I would guess a salvage yard. If all else fails, you'll have to order them and wait, but I bet NPD or LMC or Bronco Graveyard has them or maybe JCW or Ebay.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Junior User

Thanks. I got it taken care of today. They were a total pain to replace but I got the job done finally. Broke most clips, dealership had them though so I bought all they had. The cheap aftermarket lights sucked and weren't sealed nicely so I took tape and outlined the seal all around the lens and used silicone to seal them up nicely. One of the plastic pieces that holds the clips on and is used for adjustment for aiming the headlights broke so I had to use a nut to hold it on. All it in, I made it work, fixed the clips and cleaned things up while the grill and everything was off.

Took a long time to do but I know what needs to be done next time, it's just not fun. For anyone here who needs to tackle this job soon, buy clips before starting and pull the washer fluid bottle out along with the battery and battery tray. You dont absolutely have to remove these items but it greatly helps.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
You don't have to break/buy new clips, you have to take down the front of the truck (all the way almost up to the rad.) in order to access them correctly, that and using the needle nose pliers.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Junior User

I did pull the entire header off. The clips were brittle and some were rusted and just snapped very easily.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 AM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
I guess the weather made quite a difference in my case, i did it about 1 1/2 years ago... I had a lot of trouble until i found out how to do it the proper way, but all the original clips stayed.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 1999, 92, clip, clips, f150, f250, ford, head, headlight, headlights, light, metal, retainer, retaining, truck