6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Virtual gauage monitor vs. actual gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 PM
L Train
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtual gauage monitor vs. actual gauges

Hey all, im looking for some help from those with experience. I have a 04 f350 CC LB completely stock. The truck runs great, but I know I'm in the need of gauges to help keep an eye on things before they go south.

What are the pros/cons of a virtual gauge monitor, like the Edge Insight, vs. a set of real gauges?

Im leaning towards the Insight, because of the benefit of the scan tool. But what I'm not having any luck finding clearly is what can be monitored by the Insight. I know I need to monitor ECT, EOT, Trans and EGT. I believe the Insight support EGT with an optional probe.

Are there additional parameters that I should monitor which the Insight cant cover? Do the virtual gauges provide as good as quality metrics as the physical gauges? If I went with physical gauges, what are the recommended brands? Any to avoid?

BTW, this site is a great resource, but at times feels like a bit of information overload for this newbie. Im soaking up as much info as I can to fix the 6.0l weaknesses before they become issues. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel pressure would be the biggie that it cant monitor. The Dashdaq can through 3rd party equipment, but more then likely you'll need to get an analog gauge to monitor that. I use Autometer, but there are others that are good as well, I would just make sure that it's a name at you know.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
davidkstyler
Elder User
I have the Edge Insight w/ their exhaust probe. For the price it's pretty good, check Amazon out. The newer Edge products will allow you to add several extra sensors (ie EGT and fuel pressure) but they are more expensive. The Insight allows me to monitor parameters, read codes and reset faults. No problems so far. My logic was that I would use this for a while and if the truck doesn't melt down I would buy the newer one and move this one to another vehicle. Who knows I may find other toys that I want first!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Generally, all the ODBII plug-in monitor devices have the same capability
to display whatever sensors are available via the ODBII.

fuel pressure, Exhaust Gas Temp, and sometimes boost (depends on year maybe) require an external SENSOR.
Edit: Someone pointed out you can use MAP to calculate boost (at sea level) by subtracting 15 from whatever the MAP is:
MAP of 15 = no boost, MAP of 25 = 10 lb boost. At 10k feet, you need to figure out the offset yourself.

The insight supports connecting external sensors, so you could just use
the insight and plug in additional sensor(s) with the right setup
(I'll let other's who use it explain more if needed)

The Scangauge2 doesn't support external sensors, but can display whatever
sensors are available via the ODBII (just like insight, dashdaq, etc.)

I chose the scangauge2 because it fits neatly into the "cubby" of my Ex
where the upfitter switches go in an F250/F350 and the price was right.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:03 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
The insight supports connecting external sensors, so you could just use
the insight and plug in additional sensor(s) with the right setup
(I'll let other's who use it explain more if needed)
As far as I know, the Insight only supports one external probe and that's for the EGT sensor.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM
woodlander
Senior User
You can buy the expandable probe for future sensors. I just stuck with the EGT probe only.

EGT - EAS Starter Kit w/ EGT Cable for CS and CTS (expandable)

Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by tex25025
As far as I know, the Insight only supports one external probe and that's for the EGT sensor.
Yes but the new CT and CST will support multiple probes if you by the starter kit. I have the EGT probe and there is a spot to add many more as they become available.

Edit: sorry I am slow on the typing. Woodlander beat me to the punch. A good system though.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
woodlander
Senior User
Here is what a Insight CS and fuel pressure gauge looks like.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RW3133%7E1.ITS/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 PM
jetact
Elder User
Here is the CST.

This will give you a look at the CST as compared to Woodlanders CS
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  52.6 KB

Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
woodlander
Senior User
I need to get my blue spring in this weekend. Fuel pressure hits 45 if I stomp on it.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by woodlander
I need to get my blue spring in this weekend. Fuel pressure hits 45 if I stomp on it.
Woodlander, I did it and just made a post on my fuel pressure is a bit high I think. I just dont know what is wrong. Have been fine for months

Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM
L Train
New User
Thanks all for the input. I like the idea of the Insight + EGT probe. Looks like i'd just need to get an external gauge for fuel pressure. Even though the Edge allows for expansion it doesnt looks like it supports the fuel pressure, at least from what I can tell.

Thanks woodlander and Jetact for the pics. That helps a lot to see the different models mounted in the cab. I think the CS looks more integrated but I like the bigger screen and more display on the CTS...hmm...decisions.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by L Train

Thanks woodlander and Jetact for the pics. That helps a lot to see the different models mounted in the cab. I think the CS looks more integrated but I like the bigger screen and more display on the CTS...hmm...decisions.
The DashDAQ already has support for Fuel PSI, several users here have got it up and running on their units, I didn't as I already had an analog PSI gauge

I do have a picture of mine in my gallery in the "Beta Spartan Phalanx" album if you are interested.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
rob40cal
Senior User
I'm running fuel pressure and egt on the dash daq. just a little pricey to get it all set up

Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM
L Train
New User
Thanks Tex and Rob for the input on DashDaq. That looks like a good option too. I'm assuming to get this to work with EGT and Fuel pressure you need to add on the exhaust probe and pressure sensors, but I couldnt find on their web site where they sell the add-ons. Any sources for 3rd sensors compatible sensors?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Virtual gauage monitor vs. actual gauges