Getting RAS installed today

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting RAS installed today

Hi,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. After reading the numerous threads on X wander, I've decided to put the RAS on the rear springs. My mechanic has them installed, and I can't wait to see what kind of improvement I get!

My X is a 4x4 with a 4 inch lift and BFG 35's. It's got a stack of blocks in the rear, and has been a handful to drive for the last 4 years. I don't tow (yet), but I off-road quit a bit in all weather. Driving it is exhausting, even though I've completely rebuilt the suspension over the years (new steering box, new steering components, ball joints, bearings front and rear, detroit true-trac in the rear, and procomp shocks all around).

I plan to put a hellwig rear sway bar on next, but I want to see how much the RAS handles the wander, the sway, and the "jiggling" back and forth when I stop before I do anything else.

Jody

Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Get the anti-swaybar anyway because it performs a different function. IMHO, the RAS appears to be nothing more that a different style of add-a-leaf. Plus, with 4" of lift, you might be better served with a pair of ladder bars.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
Get the anti-swaybar anyway because it performs a different function. IMHO, the RAS appears to be nothing more that a different style of add-a-leaf. Plus, with 4" of lift, you might be better served with a pair of ladder bars.
Yes. Ladder bars or even radius rods. Landyot makes a great set of radius rods that would work even for 4" lift.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Well, I picked up the truck yesterday, and drove it both city and highway running errands. The change was subtle at first, but the more I drove it, the more I noticed the improved handling. The ride was not any harsher, but definitely more controlled, and stable. The biggest improvement is when I hit the brake...it stops straight! It hasn't done that since I bought it.

The other big improvement is going over uneven pavement. It would wobble and change lanes...that is now gone. It's much more stable and controlled. And entering a dip at any angle would cause it to throw everyone side to side...that greatly diminished.

The wandering is still there...but reduced. I think my sloppy steering gear box is the problem. However, the sudden lane changes are gone...nice and gradual.

There is one change that surprised me. I've been trying to eliminate a vibration on initial acceleration that I have had for years (it was not there when I bought the truck). It is caused by the serpentine belt vibrating. I changed from a gatorback to a ribbed design, and that helped a lot, but it was still there. I've changed out everything else over time except the harmonic balancer..that was next. But, I noticed after driving the truck that the vibration is almost all gone! It accelerates without a shudder now! Smooth! That is a wonderful thing!

So, I would recommend this purchase to any X owner with a lift.

BTW: I considered the Landyot RR years ago, but Landyout himself recommended ladder bars for me because of my lift and my off road activities. I was going to get some ladder bars when I read about the RAS. I chose the RAS because it would address the wobble and the sway. It does that, but I think I will put the rear anti-sway bar on as well. For a little more anti-sway (although not necessarily a good thing off-road).

I hope this post helps anyone considering the RAS option.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
While certainly not a "cure all"...I have found the RAS to be a very effective tool on the Excursion...I have NO complaints and I'm glad you have good initial feelings on it.

I primarily use it because I tow a 9000# travel trailer with 1100-1200#'s of tongue weight and I needed some extra rear spring capacity...but the RAS does so much more than just add some resistance to rear end sag.

Good luck and keep us informed...I too have the Hellwig and RAS and I think it is a GREAT combination!

Thanks for the great post!

Joe.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 what Joe said. I am a satisfied RAS owner too.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:11 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
While certainly not a "cure all"...I have found the RAS to be a very effective tool on the Excursion...I have NO complaints and I'm glad you have good initial feelings on it.

I primarily use it because I tow a 9000# travel trailer with 1100-1200#'s of tongue weight and I needed some extra rear spring capacity...but the RAS does so much more than just add some resistance to rear end sag.

Good luck and keep us informed...I too have the Hellwig and RAS and I think it is a GREAT combination!

Thanks for the great post!

Joe.
Thanks Joe! Your posts helped me make the decision to install the RAS. I can say that I am more and more pleased with it every time I drive my X. Thanks for all your posts!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Originally Posted by shadows4
X2 what Joe said. I am a satisfied RAS owner too.
Thanks Shadows4! It's always good to hear from other RAS owners. I am taking the family out in the X today in pouring rain. I feel so much more secure and safe with the new handling.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by offroad_x
Thanks Shadows4! It's always good to hear from other RAS owners. I am taking the family out in the X today in pouring rain. I feel so much more secure and safe with the new handling.
Hey,
Got a link to where you bought it?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 AM
offroad_x
Junior User
Hi TYZ78F150,
I got mine from strutmasters.com. Great communication. I got the EZ fit version, but had a shop install it because of bad weather here in northern ca. He said the were tricky to tighten due to lack of space on the X. He had to borrow a short wrench to do the adjustment. Just FYI.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by offroad_x
Hi TYZ78F150,
I got mine from strutmasters.com. Great communication. I got the EZ fit version, but had a shop install it because of bad weather here in northern ca. He said the were tricky to tighten due to lack of space on the X. He had to borrow a short wrench to do the adjustment. Just FYI.
alright thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Hey guys, this is a great opportunity to support our forum sponsor. Riffraff Diesel: Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit. Better price than strutmasters too.

And its actually pretty easy to install. Nick (weekendwarriorfsw32) and I installed mine pretty quickly.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 AM
offroad_x
Junior User
Originally Posted by duck fan
Hey guys, this is a great opportunity to support our forum sponsor. Riffraff Diesel: Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit. Better price than strutmasters too.

And its actually pretty easy to install. Nick (weekendwarriorfsw32) and I installed mine pretty quickly.
An excellent suggestion. I wish I had known before I purchased! I'll do that in the future.