Print Wikipost

Ride comfort towing - 2wd vs. 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 PM
russellbailey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride comfort towing - 2wd vs. 4wd

I currently have a 1998 Expedition 4.6 2wd with 181k miles, and drive it 12-14k per year. Summers we do a couple of 1000 mile trips pulling an 8000 lb boat trailer, which is over the rated weight for this engine. I find the power adequate even in the mountains here (50+ mph over all grades), and with an Equalizer hitch have zero handling problems. The problem I do have is ride quality. More power would also make the mountains here easier on me to drive through.

Ever since new (it was my late father's the first 120k but I rode in it a bit), this Expedition has had a somewhat choppy ride, which I assume is due to trying to make it handle like a car yet still support decent weight with the coil springs - I've never had this ride problem with a pickup for example. I've replaced the rear coils with variable rate springs which helped some and have Timbren overload springs that touch once the coils drop 1" so it won't squat too much. It is not the big bumps, but the low amplitude higher frequency vibrations - a concrete interstate with bad expansion joints is rough without the boat, and nauseating with it (I do get motion sick fairly easily).

I intend to replace the Expedition with an Excursion. After studying this board I'd take either a V10 or diesel, and would decide based on the specific trucks I found. My reasons for the bigger SUV are to make it easier on the driver (me) when pulling the boat, three rows of seats with decent storage space still, and a better ride.

I presume that the Excursion would generally give a better ride than my Expedition, with the longer wheelbase and not using rear coils. I also presume that the 2wd Excursion would ride better than the 4wd model. If you have driven both, can you compare the ride quality of the 2wd and 4wd models? Would your answer change if you were running empty or with the trailer?

I had intended to just get a 2wd - I've always had 2wd vehicles and been able to get where I want. But I am finding that the 4wd Excursions are far more common - it seems like something like a 4-1 ratio. So, I see many more 4wd ones available. I would consider a 4wd version if it rode as well as the 2wd, and thus my question.

I've also read concerns about tracking of the Excursion with a heavy trailer. I know 8000 lbs is not really heavy, but it is not light either. It seems like those expressing tracking concerns have generally had 4wd models, and that perhaps the 2wd version did not have that concern?

Thanks for your input. This is a great site and I've found a lot of useful information but did not see this question addressed.

Russell Bailey - Roanoke VA

Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Red Ex
Senior User
Russell,

I have not driven the 2wd but have driven several 4x4 and own a now lifted 4x4. The 4x4 has a nice ride. In stock form they do have some handling/wandering issues that can be solved in many different ways. I have towed our 9000lb trailer both before and after lifting the excursion. It handled the trailer very well in both cases.

At first I was getting a little sway in the trailer but it was from the hitch set-up. I only had a single friction bar set-up (towed OK with this set up with a one ton dually quad cab Dodge). I added the Reese dual cam bars to my existing weight distribution hitch and now it tracks straight as an arrow and all the sway is gone.

I have seen a few 2wd's for sale around here. If you do not need a 4x4 you would get better mpg with the 2wd. The 4x4 may have slightly stiffer springs though which would be better for towing. Sorry I can't answer your question about 2wd directly. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
My 2wd rides great loaded and unloaded, I pull an 8000 lb loaded car hauler and in the NC mountains she doesn't drop speed, the diesel keeps pulling. I did not want a 4wd so I was glad when I found my 2wd. IMO the 2wd is a better puller because it does not have the heavy 4wd components to lug around.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
I haven't compared Excursions but my experience with F250s/F350s is that the 2WD will give you a better ride, with or without towing. But either will be much better than your current experience.

I've driven with a motion sickness prone person on a 700 mile trip towing about 2.5 tons and a over 3000 mile trip not towing but with a 1 ton payload also with no problems. But with any of these trucks you will likely have to do some front end work when you first purchase it. The diesels especially tend to require suspension work. Personally I added an additional leaf which really stiffened the ride without making it "harsh".