6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Advice on Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The warranty did sound way to sweet; however after talking to the customer service for a bit on the phone they explained it all the way to the underwriters paying the dealership any incurred cost to tranny or engine. I am going to assume they statement. I guess what I mean to say is my junior freshman non tuning *** just wants the basic thing everyone else wants. Plug and play w/o a knowledge of programming.... A lil cost effective and most importantly not to ruin an up till now dependable well maintained Ford super duty. Not cheap scating.... overly cautious.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
BTW... I appreciate and have read each of yall's post. Thanx for the advice. I know it can get frustrating w/ newbies.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well with a tuner with custom tunes you can get one that is plug and play and some have gauges like the livewire or h&s, imho any tuner you get you will need gauges... you won't have to worry about the tuning the person writing the tunes for you will...just my .02

Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SCT X3 would be what i would suggest if budget is of a concern. Get a set of quality gauges to go along with that to help monitor vitals. Even custom tuning you don't have to know the info that goes behind the tuning. It isn't as scary and daunting as a lot of people think it is. I think the cost is the biggest negative about it, but if you want to do tuning and you cheap out and it bites you in the ***, is that 3k tranny repair going to be covered by the savings that you got with off the shelf tuning?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
I agree with you evan, but he needs gauges with any tuner imho

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
roger that.. thanx TEX. I looked at the sct web site. I was thinking the SF3... any experience w/ it. Seems like an upgrade from the x3

Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
Originally Posted by patrickke
Gauges I can understand there importance. But if I do the gauge set up... What sources am I gauging. EGT? Boost (factory one)? Tranny I know bismic recomended an aftermarket if i remember. Pyro... dont even know what that is lol. And where could I find operating ranges for the gauged systems.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
with an sct livewire or h&s you can add a pyro temp probe... pyro is the exhaust temp probe

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by divedeep1
Gauges I can understand there importance. But if I do the gauge set up... What sources am I gauging. EGT? Boost (factory one)? Tranny I know bismic recomended an aftermarket if i remember. Pyro... dont even know what that is lol. And where could I find operating ranges for the gauged systems.
EGT and Pyro are the same. Get something like the Insight or DashDAQ. Those two for sure would have you covered with the biggies.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
the reason i was recommending those two was because they are able to be used for tunes and are somewhat less costly than a dashdaq which is a very nice option but not as many choices of tuning companies now... the edge cts would be nice if you could find an xcal 2 to go with it

Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
Originally Posted by patrickke
ok.... If i go w/ the sct x3 or sf3 w/ dash monitor setup..... why do I need to monitor the temps or opersting parameters? If I do where is the info on lets say to hot of a pyro temp. whats to hot. What Iam seeing now.,... is.... I buy SCT and not even have a clue how to use it. Is tuning that touchy that the need for monitoring the function of the truck that important. Thought a plug and play would be just that? fyi...Note to mention is that the cost of buying SCT vs superchip's cortex is about the same.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
it will be the same as having a superchips.... you do not do the tuning... another person will write tunes for your truck and load them on the tuner... the dash has lie-o-meters, other gauges will be aids so that you know what is going on in your truck... boost will help keep you from overboosting, pyro will tell you when to let out i/e keep from popping head gaskets... trans temp gauge will let you know what is going on and if something is wrong... these will just help you know what your truck is truly doing (egt should not get to above 1200 for extended periods of time w/o studs)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by divedeep1
ok.... If i go w/ the sct x3 or sf3 w/ dash monitor setup..... why do I need to monitor the temps or opersting parameters? If I do where is the info on lets say to hot of a pyro temp. whats to hot. What Iam seeing now.,... is.... I buy SCT and not even have a clue how to use it. Is tuning that touchy that the need for monitoring the function of the truck that important. Thought a plug and play would be just that? fyi...Note to mention is that the cost of buying SCT vs superchip's cortex is about the same.
You should always monitor temps regardless if you have a tunner or not. The factory gauges in the dash are more like glorified idiot lights. You need a way to read the real temps so you know when you have a problem coming or not. As I said even if you were completly stock a good set of gauges are recomended.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
dashdaq ordered today. should be here tomorrow or saturday. Can't wait.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Spartan dash daq?

Quick Reply: Advice on Tuner