1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Cold Start tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Dvandy21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start tips

Hey guys, I know this is a common question which comes up a lot this time of year, especially from new PSD owners, but I'll ask it anyway. I was wondering what advice people have for starting diesels in the cold weather? I've read the sticky at the top of the forum which was useful, but it still didn't completely answer my questions. I've only had to start my truck a couple of times so far this winter in the cold. It's sounded reluctant to start, but it has started everytime. There was a fair amount of white smoke for the first 20 or 30 seconds. I think the glow plugs should be good, the previous owner recently replaced them (though I'm not sure exactly when).

My truck does have a block heater, but I live in an apartment so I can't plug it in most days. Is the best thing to do just to turn the key and keep it turned for the 90 seconds or whatever it is that our glowplugs stay on and then try it? I've thought about getting a remote starter and I know there are some that will automatically start your truck periodically though the night to make cold starts easier. Also. I think my batteries may be going, so I should probably replace them. Other than that does anyone know of any good tips for starting in the cold weather? As always, thanks! I also should mention I live in central Pennsylvania, the weather isn't as cold as some places, but the temperature is probably between 15 degrees-35 degrees most mornings.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Make sure your GPR and GP's are up to snuff, and install a GPR LED. If it won't start after having the glow plugs on for at least 30 seconds, you can try to cycle the key one or two more times to see if it will start. A good fuel additive is also a good idea to help reduce clouding/gelling of the fuel.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
As for the glowplugs, have you actually tested them at the UVC harnesses? If you don't know how long ago they've been replaced, it may be a good idea to check them. I'm sure either in that "winter starting" stickey, there is a way to test, and if not I will find it for you.

You say that you're thinking of replacing the batts (good). What is the condition of your battery cables?

Have you changed your glow plug relay since you've owned the truck? Stancor makes an HD relay that allows more power to flow and can do a better job energizing the GP's over stock

I was asking a very similar question HERE Just the other day. About not being able to plug it in and starting on cold days.

The one thing to consider (that I overlooked originally) is that when you're cycling the glowplugs, you're essentially drawing from power that will be used to bump the starter over. AND as soon as you start cranking, cold air will be brought into the cylinder from outside.

I've found a good combo is waiting 10-30 seconds after the WTS lights goes out. Seems to be enough time to get the air hot, and not draw to much so that the starter is low on juice.

Hope this helps

Robb

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
The glow plugs will stay energized for about 2 minutes if you just keep the key in the run position. An easy way to tell when they finished cycling is watch your volt gauge, it will be down towards low while the GP's are still on, when it pops back up then start it up.
The best thing to do would be to plug it in but like you said it probably isn't a viable option at an apartment most of the time. If you can the best way to do it is to get a timer and set it for about 30-45 minutes before you need to start it and that will give plenty of time to warm it up without running up your electric bill with it on all night.

Another thing you really should do is run a good winter additive in the fuel. Power Service in the white bottle is great stuff. It will keep the fuel from gelling and help your mileage a little cause it boosts your cetane levels in the fuel. I put a bottle in every fill up. White bottle in winter, grey bottle in summer.

If you replace the batteries make sure you get a high Cold Cranking amp battery and be sure to replace both at the same time. Also an old worn starter will turn over slower so keep that in mind as well. A high-torque starter is a nice up upgrade but can be a little tricky to install.
Hope this helps...

Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Dvandy21
Senior User
Thanks guys. I'll check out the glowplugs and start using fuel additive. I've heard of people installing those gpr LEDs, what is that exactly? A light which indicates whether your glowplugs are on or not? How do you install one? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Dvandy21
Senior User
I thought of something today that I wanted to ask you guys. Now, this too is a complete rookie question, so don't ridicule me too much, but.... Do your glowplugs stay on longer then the 90 second cycle if your key is turned? My reason for asking is if you wanted to use the power in your truck (radio etc...) but didn't want the engine to be running would your glowplugs be on? I am assuming not, but I wanted to make sure so I don't go burning out my plugs or anything.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 AM
rusty9cab
Senior User
If you just wanted to use power accessories, you would turn the key back to the on position as opposed to the run position. The glow plugs will not energize with the key turned back.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
The glow plugs will turn off after about 90-120 seconds, but like rusty9cab said, if you turn the key back from the off position you can run the accesories.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Dvandy21
Senior User
Thanks. Yeah, I figured there were two positions you could turn the key to, but I wasn't by the truck yesterday so I could go check.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Even with the key in the run position the GP's won't stay on for longer than 90 seconds.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:06 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you haven't yet put a new fuel filter in it too.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Dvandy21
Senior User
Ok, so the plan is to check the glowplugs and glowplug relay, install new cold cranking batteries, run fuel additive, and change the fuel filter.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I've been in your situation before...

Get a jump-pack and keep it inside so it's warm and at it's full capacity. Hook it up when you go to start the truck in the morning. It makes a huge difference on cranking rpms. I've done this several times and it makes a heck of a difference.

Switch to synthetic oil and you won't have to worry about cold starts again...

There's a couple other tricks out there that will work but I've never had to use them on a PSD.