6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Decisions, Decisions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decisions, Decisions....

I know this topic has been discussed many, many times. I've been searching for the past 2 days and haven't really received a whole lot of info specific to H&S and other tuners other than Spartan.

I spoke with a local shop that specializes in Powerstrokes. They are fairly reputable so I take their recomendations with a good amount of consideration. They informed me that they are not extremely pleased with Spartan tuners right now due to issues they are having with transmissions shifting. He recomended the H&S Black Maxx. So I did some research and I am leaning towards the H&S for a few reasons.

1. Speedometer recalibration at no additional cost. Spartan charges $100 for three changes I believe.

2. Free custom tunes from their website.

3. Offers shift on the fly. (Heard that it's not good but Banks is only shift on the fly and Banks has great reviews on this site).

4. Internet updateable with free updates.

5. Monitor 18 different parameters.

Seems pretty impressive. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I would run Innovative tuning through an SCT if I was ruling out the Spartan setup. Just my .02.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
MD05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2738
I know this topic has been discussed many, many times. I've been searching for the past 2 days and haven't really received a whole lot of info specific to H&S and other tuners other than Spartan.

I spoke with a local shop that specializes in Powerstrokes. They are fairly reputable so I take their recomendations with a good amount of consideration. They informed me that they are not extremely pleased with Spartan tuners right now due to issues they are having with transmissions shifting. He recomended the H&S Black Maxx. So I did some research and I am leaning towards the H&S for a few reasons.

1. Speedometer recalibration at no additional cost. Spartan charges $100 for three changes I believe. Only available on initial load. to change you need to reload the program.

2. Free custom tunes from their website. Asked about a custom Trans tune and was told that they are too busy and was sent to KEM Performance.

3. Offers shift on the fly. (Heard that it's not good but Banks is only shift on the fly and Banks has great reviews on this site). No expirence with Banks.... Satisfied with the on the fly change, I run the Mild tune it is plenty to move 9K+# down the road.

4. Internet updateable with free updates.Updates base system

5. Monitor 18 different parameters. Not all are availabel on my 08 load. do not know why.

Cheers
I hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
MD05 who did you buy your tuner from?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2738

1. Speedometer recalibration at no additional cost. Spartan charges $100 for three changes I believe.

2. Free custom tunes from their website.

3. Offers shift on the fly. (Heard that it's not good but Banks is only shift on the fly and Banks has great reviews on this site).

4. Internet updateable with free updates.

5. Monitor 18 different parameters.

I have the SCT Livewire and am yery happy with it for the money I have in it. I paid $400 for it used back in 2008 when the only other good option for tuning at the time was Spartan. It doesn't matter if you buy it new or used you can update it on the SCT web site for tune revisions and firmware updates. You can run IDP , River City , and KEM tunes ,so you have some options and if you have any trouble with the device the SCT tech line is always helpfull. I have heard good things about H&S and I think Mike at KEM can put his custom tunes on the Black Maxx also.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 AM
MD05
Senior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
MD05 who did you buy your tuner from?

First I would like to say "I am not going down that path". The transaction was great and the equipment work very well. I am satisfied with the tuner and exhaust.

I am getting KEM Performance to build a Kuston Trans tune which was unavailable thru H&S when I checked.

Cheers

Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MD05
First I would like to say "I am not going down that path". The transaction was great and the equipment work very well. I am satisfied with the tuner and exhaust.

I am getting KEM Performance to build a Kuston Trans tune which was unavailable thru H&S when I checked.

Cheers
you could save some of us a headache ya know.....