1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 Ford Truck Scary Front Suspension...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I recognize that work - Clutzenhiemer & Gobweld - I have a 48 chassis that had been "Fixed" by them. - Can't be safely Undone.
I wonder if they were represented by Dewey, Cheetham & Howe in their product liability suits...???

I say buy a cheap parts truck for the frame and part out the rest. You'll be able to make your money back and then some.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe kevin aka (55f350) had a extra frame, I could be wrong but it cant hurt to ask and see, who knows ya might be able to pick it up half way decent...

Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
Well if it was me I'd ask for my money back and go buy something else that wont get you or your family killed. If that is out of the question then I would replace the frame with something that I would feel safe to sit in, let alone start and drive. Maybe find someone with a original frame or front section to graft on untill you can fix it up to your liking. I've seen some pretty shady stuff but that is just plain scary...
WOW! I have to agree with all of the other post! I did the Camaro graft only because the PO had started it. He missed the wheelbase by 2 inches so I cut it out and started over. Here are a few pics.

I cut the frame off right at the firewall just in front of the cab mount locations. Then the Camaro frame was cut well back so I would have plenty to graft together with weld area.

Welded back together.

Hope this helps. Not sure you will have enough to graft it the right
way. If not I would just find another frame and go with a MII IFS.
If I do another one thats what I will do.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Hamburgerfella
Junior User
Its a F1, came stock with no bed, theirs a non working dump bed, big dana rear end, the trans cross support is rigged as well, also there are 2 long rods starting at the middle of the truck and connecting to the camaro sub-frame....i dont know what im going to do with it yet....

Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Hamburgerfella
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lakotas53
WOW! I have to agree with all of the other post! I did the Camaro graft only because the PO had started it. He missed the wheelbase by 2 inches so I cut it out and started over. Here are a few pics.

I cut the frame off right at the firewall just in front of the cab mount locations. Then the Camaro frame was cut well back so I would have plenty to graft together with weld area.

Welded back together.

Hope this helps. Not sure you will have enough to graft it the right
way. If not I would just find another frame and go with a MII IFS.
If I do another one thats what I will do.

Yeah it does help thanks....

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Hamburgerfella
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
That's unbelievable. Before you start just driving to all the junk yards, give craigslist and the HAMB a shot. I've seen quite a few frames in the last couple months here and there. There are multiple search programs, but I use one called www.searchtempest.com. You can set a radius around your zip code and it will start giving you the results in a target-like fashion with the closest ones first, etc. If you can't find a complete roller chassis, I agree with everybody else. Chop that rat's nest off and start over.

Thanks that will help me save some time looking.....Anyone else got some recommendations for finding the cheapest frames/ sub frames laying around?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
eBay and craigslist are your best bets. They pop up fairly regularly and aren't real expensive. It would help us help you if you could add your location to your profile so we can keep our eyes out for you. fifty-two_f1 has an entire '52 F-1 truck minus the driveline and some trim and misc. He sold it on eBay a month or so ago for $500 and he's having trouble getting the buyer to follow through on the transaction and pick the thing up. It's here in Indiana and he really needs it gone. If that would help you out, he might be willing to return the buyer's money and sell it to you instead.

You know, the more I look at that thing, the more concerned I become. With the way the motor mounts are cobbed into the thin remnants of the original frame rails, it's just a matter of time before you have to stop along side the road somewhere and walk back to pick the engine up. I haven't heard the term "cootie-bobbed" here in quite some time, but that is the textbook definition.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious, did you inspect the truck before you bought it? If you did, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. You basically bought a cab and front clip, which in turn is a parts truck. In my opinion, you would have been better off buying a project truck and starting from the beginning.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
tardster
Elder User
You know looking at the pics that Lakotas posted. I think you would be ok if you could find another camaro front clip and graft it on like Lakotas did. It looks like you have enuff of the frame up front to be able to do that if you have the skills to do it (not meaning anything bad I just dont know what your skills are). That might be your easiest fix to this situation...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You know looking at the pics that Lakotas posted. I think you would be ok if you could find another camaro front clip and graft it on like Lakotas did. It looks like you have enuff of the frame up front to be able to do that if you have the skills to do it (not meaning anything bad I just dont know what your skills are). That might be your easiest fix to this situation...
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm wondering if they mounted the Camaro crossmember this way to try to keep the nose out of the weeds. He also mentioned that the transmission crossmember was hacked in the same way. Depending on how bad that damage is, he may be miles ahead to replace the entire frame.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm wondering if they mounted the Camaro crossmember this way to try to keep the nose out of the weeds. He also mentioned that the transmission crossmember was hacked in the same way. Depending on how bad that damage is, he may be miles ahead to replace the entire frame.
True, I didn't think about that. The tranny crossmember wouldn't be that hard to replace as long as they didn't hack the frame up to bad, then if he was able to get another camaro clip I think he would be ok...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
The tranny crossmember wouldn't be that hard to replace as long as they didn't hack the frame up to bad...
Looking at the fine craftsmanship at the front end, I wouldn't count on the crossmember, or the portion of the frame it's attached to, being any better.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Hamburgerfella,

I am going to have an extra F2 frame. It will more than likely just have front and rear springs and front axle. The F2 has a longer frame than the F1; however, it is my understanding that the front axle is the same. On the downside there will be nothing else left on the frame ie no steering column etc. I was just going to keep it, do some research and let me know if this possibly may help. Oh and I am located about 40 miles from Orlando in Lady Lake area.

Paul

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
[quote=BlueOvalRage;9690196]eBay and craigslist are your best bets. They pop up fairly regularly and aren't real expensive. It would help us help you if you could add your location to your profile so we can keep our eyes out for you. fifty-two_f1 has an entire '52 F-1 truck minus the driveline and some trim and misc. He sold it on eBay a month or so ago for $500 and he's having trouble getting the buyer to follow through on the transaction and pick the thing up. It's here in Indiana and he really needs it gone. If that would help you out, he might be willing to return the buyer's money and sell it to you instead.

I sold the truck to a guy in New York on November 14 and told him he has 30 days to come get it. He is dragging his feet on it and I called him tonight and told him it MUST be out off of my property by the end of this year. If you does not follow through are you interested in it? It has a very good solid frame under it.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Hamburgerfella
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Just curious, did you inspect the truck before you bought it? If you did, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. You basically bought a cab and front clip, which in turn is a parts truck. In my opinion, you would have been better off buying a project truck and starting from the beginning.

Yeah i looked it over, but when looking straight down at the frame and cross-member it looks way better, the tire was hiding all the goodies.....the rear end is pretty high so i thought they did a double frame idea in the front to even it out, the guy was talking about it and made it sound better, but once i got that tire off i couldn't believe it.....i drove it from Cocoa Beach to and through downtown Orlando, i was expecting a lot of work but not a frame off type of beginning.

Quick Reply: '51 Ford Truck Scary Front Suspension...Help!