1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Checking for current draw w/multi meter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Victor L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking for current draw w/multi meter?

Got the charging system fixed, thanks to all the help here.
Ended up with a solid state voltage regulator. It is a very easy swap.
The question now is, how do you determine weather or not the electrical
system is putting a drain on the battery while the truck is parked?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 AM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of ways.
1) Disconnect battery from solenoid, hook up a battery charger with a front amp gauge in its place on the solenoid lug. Whatever you read is drain. Zero is the right answer.
2) Disconnect battery at solenoid. Put a multimeter on the highest amp setting (several amps minimum) in series with the battery cable. Any current draw is drain. Again, zero is the right answer.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On that old a vehicle without a modern stereo with memory, take pos batt cable loose and put a test light/12v bulb between batt and cable. If it lights, start pulling fuses till it goes out. That will tell you where to start looking. No light=no draw. Same thing, but some people do not have a meter.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Keep in mind this is for a computer controlled BMW(any computer controlled car) but should be the same method. It helped greatly in finding a huge drain on a car.

The test light method would work on the old truck also.

Originally Posted by GT53 on BMW Forum
The current (Amps) is what you need to be measuring. The value will change instantly depending on how much power is being drawn from the battery.

***** Note: Whilst the multimeter is connected following the instructions below, DO NOT turn the ignition switch on or turn any high power items on (such as the headlights),The leads of a multimeter are not large enough to handle this amount of power. As the car appears to be drawing a very large current (based on the time it takes your battery to go flat), I would even go as far as to suggest you at least pull out any fuse rated 10A and above (and preferably all the fuses) and all relays before connecting the multimeter, then measure the current changes as you put them back in.

To measure the current (Amps) being drawn from the battery:

Disconnect the battery negative terminal (disconnecting and using the positive terminal for testing as you indicated in your original post is not advised as an accidental slip with the battery cable or multimeter leads could ground the wiring, causing blown fuses/electronics or at worst a fire).

Set your multimeter to read Amps. If your multimeter can read AC or DC Amps then you need to use DC Amps. Use the largest Amp scale the multimeter will accept (typically 10A on a small DIY multimeter, this is the bare minimum you will probably need). Some multimeters will require you to plug the red lead into a different socket when you are reading Amps, please check first.

Note: If the current drain of your car is as high as I suspect it is, this next step may cause the multimeter to go off the scale, blow a fuse or heat up it's wires. Be ready to disconnect it.

Connect the negative lead of the multimeter to the negative battery terminal. Connect the other lead of the multimeter to the ground lead you removed from the battery.

You should now have a reading in Amps indicating the current drain. If you pulled all the fuses and relays before beginning the test it should be reading below 0.1A and probably zero. If the value is still high then I would first suspect the ignition switch is not disconnecting the power correctly when you turn the ignition off (based on your observation that the dash computer has remained on with the key removed).

You should now be able to remove/replace fuses and relays and disconnect components until you locate the culprit. You may see very small fluctuations in the readings but this is normal. What you are looking for is a larger change, say 0.2A and above. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

As a rough guide, a 12 watt trunk bulb will draw approx 1 Amp, a 60 watt head light bulb 5 Amps (Watts divided by 12(volts) = Amps)

Batteries have a power rating printed on them.
A 70Ah (Amp hour) battery, for example, is rated to provide 1 Amp for 70 hours (at approximately 12 volts for the whole time). If the current drain is 2 Amps then it will provide 12v for half the time (35 hours) and at 3 amps it will provide 12v for a third of the time (23.3 hours). If your car is draining the battery in two hours then there is a very large current drain (somewhere in the region of 35 Amps depending on the battery rating), larger than most fuses can handle.

When the car is turned off and depending on the equipment installed in the car which is permanantly on (e.g. alarm, immobiliser) you should be aiming for a current drain of less than 0.1A (4 weeks using a 70Ah battery).

Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
You can use an incandescent 12v bulb to check for a drain. But it must be a very small bulb, like a radio or dash light. If you use something like a tail light bulb which needs an amp to light up, a drain of one amp or so may heat the test bulb filament but not cause a visible glow.
A cheap multimeter should be as much a part of an old Ford truck mechanic's toolbox as a 1/2" wrench.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Here's a Toothless Jake way to find a persistent drain that can't be located. I do not recommend it. But I saw it done a million years ago when cars were simpler. Here goes:
Remove all fuses and make sure everything is turned off. Check again for the drain. If you still have it pull the + battery cable from the battery and shove 110 volt power into cable looking into the vehicle. You will find the partial short in a big flash and smoke.
The idea is that good wiring will tolerate 110volts. The short will burn.
Don't try it. I post it for grins.

Semper Fi

Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM
69jwatson
Junior User
A couple of things:
I am noticing that I am also losing battery as well. will use the methods above to see if I can locate the drain. Another thing, I took the bed off for painting and since then I have lost the headlights. When running I can turn the marker lights on but when I tried turning the head lights on I get nothing. Could it be that since I have the rear turn signals disconnected it is not letting the headlamps work?

Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For your headlight problem: check to make sure the wire to the hi-beam switch hasn't come loose. It is a common problem. Check for corrosion at the switch. Could be a bad hi-beam switch. If that isn't it, check to make sure power is coming from the light switch to the hi-beam switch. Still no power? Then it would be a bad light switch.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 AM
69jwatson
Junior User
Originally Posted by 19704X4F250
For your headlight problem: check to make sure the wire to the hi-beam switch hasn't come loose. It is a common problem. Check for corrosion at the switch. Could be a bad hi-beam switch. If that isn't it, check to make sure power is coming from the light switch to the hi-beam switch. Still no power? Then it would be a bad light switch.
I did take the dimmer switch off to redo the cab floor. Is this where the high beam switch your talking about is at?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the headlights won't work without it as it supplies the headlights with power.