1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Radio removal - please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
jerrylynnb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio removal - please HELP!

I have a 97 ranger xlt (extended cab) with a standard radio - no cd, no tape, no mp3). It is about 4" high and 7.25" wide. I read here that walmart sells a tool to remove this radio, so I purchased one and it included two "U-shaped" clip with indentions on the ends of the prongs. The instructions were to slide one of the u-shaped prongs into the two small holes on the left, and the other on on the two small holes on the right. Both "tools" were identical, so it didn't matter which went on which side.

These tools just wouldn't go in without an excess amount of pressing and grunting on my part. There was no "click" to indicate the releasing of any latch. After pressing with all my might, I finally got to the end of the line with about 1" of each tool still protruding from their respective hole-pairs.

Then I discovered that the radio would NOT slide out. It was affixed to the surrounding dash plastic and all I could do by pulling real hard on these protruding clips was to nearly dislodge the surrounding plastic housing from the dashboard. Obviously, this "removal tool" was worthless for removing this radio, but, then, I discovered that these tools wouldn't come back out either. It took a crowbar and a lot of ugly smudges to the surrounding plastic (plus nicked fingers and hands), to finally get these two tools out and they looked like they had been mangled by steel jaws (all twisted and bent out of shape).

Of course, I am taking this tool back to Walmart for a refund (because it said it was OK for all fords models from 88 to 2004), but, alas, how do I get this radio out? It still plays, but, I want to upgrade and there is no point acquiring another radio until I can get this one loose and out!

What to do?

Jerry in Texas

Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
FordMstrTech
Senior User
The tools should slide into the holes like you have already done. They will go in smooth when u get resistance stop pushing. Push the tools outward away from each other and viola!!! This should work unless something is damaged from previous attempts... Hope this helps

Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the bezel off first.

push pin tools in, until gently resisted, about an inch

pull the tools gently towards the sides of the truck, outward while pulling the radio out.

There's not a latch to release, it's more of a tab that the tools push inward.

Go to Helminc.com and get a service manual.

Why are you taking the radio out?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
FordMstrTech
Senior User
Originally Posted by g_k50
Take the bezel off first.

push pin tools in, until gently resisted, about an inch

pull the tools gently towards the sides of the truck, outward while pulling the radio out.

There's not a latch to release, it's more of a tab that the tools push inward.

Go to Helminc.com and get a service manual.

Why are you taking the radio out?
Last sentence of his post.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
What to do?

My response, buy a service manual and read it.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 PM
FordMstrTech
Senior User
Originally Posted by jerrylynnb
I have a 97 ranger xlt (extended cab) with a standard radio - no cd, no tape, no mp3). It is about 4" high and 7.25" wide. I read here that walmart sells a tool to remove this radio, so I purchased one and it included two "U-shaped" clip with indentions on the ends of the prongs. The instructions were to slide one of the u-shaped prongs into the two small holes on the left, and the other on on the two small holes on the right. Both "tools" were identical, so it didn't matter which went on which side.

These tools just wouldn't go in without an excess amount of pressing and grunting on my part. There was no "click" to indicate the releasing of any latch. After pressing with all my might, I finally got to the end of the line with about 1" of each tool still protruding from their respective hole-pairs.

Then I discovered that the radio would NOT slide out. It was affixed to the surrounding dash plastic and all I could do by pulling real hard on these protruding clips was to nearly dislodge the surrounding plastic housing from the dashboard. Obviously, this "removal tool" was worthless for removing this radio, but, then, I discovered that these tools wouldn't come back out either. It took a crowbar and a lot of ugly smudges to the surrounding plastic (plus nicked fingers and hands), to finally get these two tools out and they looked like they had been mangled by steel jaws (all twisted and bent out of shape).

Of course, I am taking this tool back to Walmart for a refund (because it said it was OK for all fords models from 88 to 2004), but, alas, how do I get this radio out? It still plays, but, I want to upgrade and there is no point acquiring another radio until I can get this one loose and out!

What to do?

Jerry in Texas
This is why he is removing the radio... The bold letters

Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Oh, did you mean the next to last sentence?

Then that what you should have typed.

Nuff Said.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
FordMstrTech
Senior User
Originally Posted by g_k50
Oh, did you mean the next to last sentence?

Then that what you should have typed.

Nuff Said.
Well excuse me. JUST READ ALL THE WORDS NEXT TIME AND YOU WONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.
Nuff Said

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found it's a lot easier to remove the entire bezel to do any wiring work.

Only 2 bolts and disconnect the wires

Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
jerrylynnb
Freshman User
This is actually my first attempt to remove this radio, which was in it already when I first saw it on the dealer's lot It looks like a factory install.

I suspect now that this walmart tool is the problem, because it didn't do as you all describe here, nor as described in its own instructions.
First, the u-prongs DID NOT go into the two holes easily - they got stuck before I could even get 1/4 " inside. I suspect they are the wrong size and wouldn't stay parallel with the two holes. So I had to apply extra force right from the beginning, and, there was no way to tell when to stop forcing them inwards.

Just now, after readying FordMstrtech's post, I bent one of the tools so that I could insert one end alone, and I tested each of the four holes just to see what one can feel by inserting a rod into those holes. First, using only one prong, it DID go in nice and smooth but it hit a metal-feeling barrier after about only one inch inwards. It was like pushing agains a flat surface, at right angles to the prong. I tried this will all four holes and got the same result - one inch inward and up against a flat metal-feeling surface. I then jiggled the single prong angling the portion sticking out towards the nearest door, and I could feel the other end sliding along that flat surface, but, I couldn't detect ANYTHIING moving like a tab or a latch or anything - it that motion was supposed to release some hook or latch it could only have done it without making any kind of detectable noise nor feeling from just holding the outside of the prong. It is like a blind man trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle, I can't tell what I am trying to do inside there.

But, anyway, I couldn't do this with all 4 holes simultaneously becuase these prongs are so bent out of shape now that woudn't work even if they were the right ones to begin with, which I am convicned they ARE NOT. They are a bit too wide for the holes they are supposed to slide into gently. So, tomorrow, I'll go looking for a better pair of tools that are made specifically for these holes - that is, a pair of u-clips that measure the exact same separation between the prongs as these two holes, AND are strictly parallel to begin with. That might work. Maybe the jiggling motion did actualy move some kind of hidden tab but you just can't feel it being moved.

One other thing, suppose the radio is a bit too snug, even with the tabs unlatched, and requires some extra outward force to get it moving along the rails - how can one apply any kind of extra force without BENDING the u-clips which are frail and fragile to begin with? This seems like a very stupid design for allowing a radio to be removed - after a radio has been in place for a few years, the likelyhood it will slide out effortlessly once the tabs are depressed is wishful thinking - metal pieces touching each other over the years usually require a bit of a kick to break loose after being in static contact for so long.

I'll give it another go tomorrow if I can find a better-looking tool.

I am tired using a small transmitter to hear my mp3's, and I also would like to play CD's occassionally, so that is why I am upgrading.

Jerry in Texas

Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
jerrylynnb
Freshman User
Grandmas77f150, where are the two bolts that release the bezel? What is the bezel? If I can find these two bolts and remove them, I'll definitely give that a try.

Jerry in Texas

Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are below the radio and above the HVAC controls

Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Here is link for dash parts removal for explorer (ranger same dash layout). Look at first pic it shows where hex head screws are located to removal bezel surrounding radio. Will need to remove wire harness to radio/ antenna and lighter connections and then can remove unit from dash. Have read that some people use coat hanger wire to release tabs holding radio in place.Probably be easier to figure out how to release when you et radio/bezel out of dash in one piece.

Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures ) - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
jerrylynnb
Freshman User
Voila! I removed the two screws holding the bezel in place and popped the bezel out (you really need those nifty "panel tools" for this, otherwise you get nasty cuts on your fingertips - ouch!). After disconnecting the lighter, antenna, and extra power plug, along with the two plugs at the rear of the radio, I inspected those "tabs" and I saw what the problem was. One of the tabs was slightly bent and just wasn't going to be depressed without a LOT of hard force bearing right down upon it. It had to be outside like this in order to get enough pressure down upon it for it to let the radio slip past its lock point. Once I got that pesky stuck tab down, it slid right out. I think those metal tabs are just a bit corroded, and this one was stuck beyond the limits of that removal tool.

Anyway, I took pictures and I am now looking for a radio that I HOPE will just plug right in (maybe I am dreaming on this one). For what it is worth, the numbers on it are:

f77f-19b131-aa

It has TWO plugs in the back so I imagine I'll have to do some wire rigging unless I find a radio that also needs these exact two plugs (one for the speaker and another for power, memory, etc.).

I wish I knew how to post photos, I could show you what this nifty little radio looks like. It works fine as a radio, but I'd sure like to have a CD player and also an aux plug for my mp3 players.

Thanks for all your input.

Jerry in Texas

Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
You can buy wiring harness connectors that plug into factory wiring harness on one end and hook into aftermarket radio/cd on the other end. You don't want to go butchering up your factory wiring harness. Check out Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras

Quick Reply: Radio removal - please HELP!