1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

223 with Offy duce intake

Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
53rat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
223 with Offy duce intake

If anybody has a 223 with an Offy intake running 2x Holley 1904s can you please send me or post a pic of you throttle linkage. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The throttle linkage kit is included with the dual intake when purchased new. 2728 Offenhauser 223 Ford 6 dual carb intake manifold with linkage.

Summit also sells them. Offenhauser 1082 - Offenhauser Dual Carburetor Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com. You might want to contact them to see if they sell the kit separately.

Here are a few photos that I have of my set up on the 215. The linkage is similar to the one pictured above.

Hope these photos help. Let me know if you want any additional photos.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
53rat
Senior User
Thanks Panel Man. I actually saved some old pics of your motor, you previously posted but the linkage was not very clear. Thanks again these are perfect.

I have a couple of questions for you. Where did you get your air cleaners? Did you have to purchase the clamps separately?

Also in the instructions it says I only need to hook up the vacuum line to the first carb . Was there a reason why you fed a vacuum to both? I've seen another set-up where someone hooked up the vacuum to the port on the side of the intake manifold.

Any advice you can give me, I'd appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
53rat
Senior User
Also did you have to do anything with the clearance for butterfly in the exhaust manifold?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 53rat
Thanks Panel Man. I actually saved some old pics of your motor, you previously posted but the linkage was not very clear. Thanks again these are perfect.

I have a couple of questions for you. Where did you get your air cleaners? Did you have to purchase the clamps separately?

Also in the instructions it says I only need to hook up the vacuum line to the first carb . Was there a reason why you fed a vacuum to both? I've seen another set-up where someone hooked up the vacuum to the port on the side of the intake manifold.

Any advice you can give me, I'd appreciate it.
I bought the set up from ZOOT (a member here). The air cleaners and clamps were with the set up. However, I'm sure that you can find similar air cleaners online or at a well-stocked auto parts stores. The clamps also appear to be stock oil bath air cleaner clamps with the long tightening bolt removed. These clamps now have a phillips head bolt with a square nut on the end that tighten the clamp.

I hooked up the vacuum to both because that's how it was when I received the set up from ZOOT. I blocked off the vacuum port on the intake manifold. The previous vacuum lines were made out of plastic connectors and rubber hoses. I changed mine to metal.

Also did you have to do anything with the clearance for butterfly in the exhaust manifold?
Not sure what you mean by the "butterfly". I basically bolted everything to the engine how it came. I have metal pipe spacers fitted onto the two bolts that come up from the exhaust manifold for the accelarator bracket (where the spring, accelarator rod, etc. attach) to clear the intake manifold. The accelarator bracket is also reversed, I believe.

Everything has been running great for a few months, until last Sunday when the truck started to backfire and miss a lot. However, I think that issue is with the rebuilt carbs. You may have seen my recent post about this issue. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-starting.html

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
53rat
Senior User
Cool thanks for all the info. I will send ZOOT an emial about the clamps.

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Not sure what you mean by the "butterfly".
In the instructions it says you may have to trim the butterfly in the exhaust manifold for clearance with the mounting plate of the intake manifold.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
In the instructions it says you may have to trim the butterfly in the exhaust manifold for clearance with the mounting plate of the intake manifold.
I didn't have any instructions. You can try ZOOT to see if he has any info on the clamps, but I think that the set up came on the engine when he bought the truck. He has since replaced the engine and kept the OFFY set up until I came along a few years later and bought it from him.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Interesting what a picture can show. Did you get your truck running right, Panelman? I saw something in the pictures: the vac advance. If the dizzy is the stock LoadAMatic POS, it will not function properly with dual carbs (in most cases), because each carb is seeing 1/2 as much flow at the same load as before. That "cancels" advance. You might try hooking the dizzy up to manifold vacuum. Better yet, get a Chevy or MSD dizzy!

The other thing is that each carb has the spark control valve. I think I would disconnect at least one of the carbs from your vac line, see if it helps.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Interesting what a picture can show. Did you get your truck running right, Panelman? I saw something in the pictures: the vac advance. If the dizzy is the stock LoadAMatic POS, it will not function properly with dual carbs (in most cases), because each carb is seeing 1/2 as much flow at the same load as before. That "cancels" advance. You might try hooking the dizzy up to manifold vacuum. Better yet, get a Chevy or MSD dizzy!

The other thing is that each carb has the spark control valve. I think I would disconnect at least one of the carbs from your vac line, see if it helps.
No, Ross, I haven't had time to work on it. The plan is to work on it this weekend if the weather permits. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to the list of a few more things to try. Got any part numbers for the Chevy or MSD distributor?

Still not sure why the truck ran fine for a few months and then all of a sudden crapped out.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Still not sure why the truck ran fine for a few months and then all of a sudden crapped out.
That's what's puzzling. I wonder if the points plate was stuck in an advanced position and broke free? I could believe it would run poorly with too little advance, but backfiring seems unusual. Hope it's something simple and cheap!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
That's why I'm thinking that it has to do something with the carbs.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts
53rat, I also wanted those air cleaners and looked around and found an interesting problem: The Holley 1904/1960 has about a ~2¼" neck, but most of the air cleaners that you see above are sold as 2 5/8".......I couldn't find anything for the right size.

But finally I found this. Wirth's Custom Automotive: Chrome Louvered Air Cleaner with 2 5/16" base

It's 2 5/16" and PERFECT for these carbs....cheap too. Total shipped to my door was $17.32 USD. Comes with everything you need to put it directly on your truck: air cleaner, clamp....etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't help notice that you have white teflon tape on your fuel connections. Could some have gotten into your system? The white stuff and gas don't mix well. There is some pink telflon tape, available at hardware stores, I don't remember the letters, pfffft or something similiar that is for gas, oil, etc.

A couple of other choices, SEAL-ALL, available in hardware stores actually stops gas leaks, and Permatex High Tack #80062 (sealer for gasoline contacted areas-get the can with the brush); both will seal any trouble some fittings.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
53rat
Senior User
What size steel tubing are the fuel and vacuum lines? And can someone suggest a place to by steel tubing and the connecters.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I believe that I used 3/8" for the fuel and 3/16" for the vacuum. A well stocked auto parts store, preferrably an independent, will have what you need. Napa should also have what you need. I also found the fittings and connectors at a hardware store. You'll need a flaring tool if you don't have one already. A double flaring tool is even better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 223 with Offy duce intake