Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's and 3' Body Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Have you seen how "sticky" a mud tire can be?

It has just as good if not better traction on the dry pavement as a street/pereformance tire.
How do you think its possable to drive 6500 pounds up a 60*rock face? Sticky tires.

I'm willing to bet my 94 on mud tires handles just as good as a lowered two wheel drive. (Wih about the same hp rating)

Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 PM
47ltb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zxwut?
I'm a huge 4x4 fan!! I've had several lifted trucks. I'm just not going to make some crazy claims about them handling better than when they were stock.

Any reasoning behind a Hayabusa killing anyone? That's like saying that you're going to kill yourself hunting with a .308 so you should take a .22.
Just saying a 200mph street bike is more dangerous to the rider than a jacked up truck is to the driver.

O.K now I'm done, what's next?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're*

Should we have English lessons as well as physics?
....You can have you'er english and physics , but with out commen sense , your not going anywhere , your attitude sucks , but you know that....

Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 47ltb
Just saying a 200mph street bike is more dangerous to the rider than a jacked up truck is to the driver.

O.K now I'm done, what's next?
Only if you're going 200mph.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:58 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Can't we all just get along?

=)

See? I'm getting along.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Have you seen how "sticky" a mud tire can be?

It has just as good if not better traction on the dry pavement as a street/pereformance tire.
How do you think its possable to drive 6500 pounds up a 60*rock face? Sticky tires.

I'm willing to bet my 94 on mud tires handles just as good as a lowered two wheel drive. (Wih about the same hp rating)
It's possible because of the design of the tires. They are made to flex to wrap around rocks and the lugs and grooves act as fingers to grab onto any available crack or crevice. It has less to do with how sticky they are. If what you say is true, we'd be using mud tires in autocross, road course, drag racing, etc etc. Think about what you're typing before you click submit.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lew52
....You can have you'er english and physics , but with out commen sense , your not going anywhere , your attitude sucks , but you know that....
Common sense would dictate that less rubber on the road due to large lugs would yield less traction and that raising a vehicle creates a higher center of gravity. Both of these conditions cause the vehicle to handle more poorly on the pavement than in a stock configuration.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Can't we all just get along?

=)

See? I'm getting along.
.....Sorry Bill , but hes a basket case ....Lew

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

It's possible because of the design of the tires. They are made to flex to wrap around rocks and the lugs and grooves act as fingers to grab onto any available crack or crevice. It has less to do with how sticky they are. If what you say is true, we'd be using mud tires in autocross, road course, drag racing, etc etc. Think about what you're typing before you click submit.
That's only part of it. If they where a "hard" rubber they wouldn't grip worth a ****. The soft sticky rubber grips well. They also grip very well on the street too. I was able to "drift" corners easier with stock gears and tires than I can with lower gears and mud tires. Reason? The wider, softer tire grips the road better.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
That's only part of it. If they where a "hard" rubber they wouldn't grip worth a ****. The soft sticky rubber grips well. They also grip very well on the street too. I was able to "drift" corners easier with stock gears and tires than I can with lower gears and mud tires. Reason? The wider, softer tire grips the road better.
Ok. I guess it's time to pull the street tires off my bike and mount knobbies on them. It has to be better. I guess I could have ran better times on the drag strip with mud tires mounted onto my rustang than the 10.5" street tires I had on it.

Your common sense is mind boggling. Possibly the stock tires you had were just cheap rubbish? They usually are.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Not every mud tire is a soft compound. Most of the ones you get at any tire store are a harder compound so they get some longevity out of them. I'm talking about competition tires not just any old mud tire in general. That's just like the different tires for the street. You wouldn't take a high speed rated tire and expect it to launch good off the line with out warming it up first. But take a drag tire, that is super soft and flexible, it will grip better without warming it up.

I have 12.50 wide tire hitting the ground. That isa going to grip better than any 8-9 inch wide (stockish width) street tire you can put on it.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Not every mud tire is a soft compound. Most of the ones you get at any tire store are a harder compound so they get some longevity out of them. I'm talking about competition tires not just any old mud tire in general. That's just like the different tires for the street. You wouldn't take a high speed rated tire and expect it to launch good off the line with out warming it up first. But take a drag tire, that is super soft and flexible, it will grip better without warming it up.

A street tire will launch better without heating it up than a slick. It's made to operate at a lower temperature range than a drag slick.

I have 12.50 wide tire hitting the ground. That isa going to grip better than any 8-9 inch wide (stockish width) tire you can put on it.
The last statement you made is also untrue. Watch some of the outlaw class drag races. They're hooking up 1200hp on 10.5" wide tires. Those tires offer more traction than any 12.5" mud tire. There are many DOT approved tires that would offer more traction than a 12.5" wide off road tire. They're off road tires because that is where they are made to perform. You wouldn't want street tires in a mud pit, would you?

Anywho, time for the morning teeth brushing and then off to bed. Another successful night at the office down. Only a month left and I'll be home for a couple weeks, wewt!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
back to where this thread started.... bigfoot i think if you wanna go for the 3 in body lift and 33 in tires go for it! (i wouldnt do 35s if i were you with just the 302)...just make sure its done right and safe and you ll have no problems

Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ravens fan
back to where this thread started.... bigfoot i think if you wanna go for the 3 in body lift and 33 in tires go for it! (i wouldnt do 35s if i were you with just the 302)...just make sure its done right and safe and you ll have no problems
And if 33s are the goal, a smaller body lift is possible too, a 1 or 2 would clear them. Might need a slight bumper trim tho

Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 AM
89bigfoot
Junior User
Yeah Im going for 33's and no lift right now, Im pretty sure my truck has a lift due to the gap between the bumpers and the rest of the body...

Quick Reply: 35's and 3' Body Lift?