1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Lighting Supercharger on a 5.4 F250

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 PM
ncon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will post before and after pics when I do the L-swap, as soon as it warms up some!

Ok and will stick with Ford 42lb injectors, are the connectors EV1? I see references to EV1,EV2 and EV6 as I search. Looks like the SD wiring harness is ok, will just need to extend the iat sensor. Will see about EGR, would like to keep it if possible for economy.

Should I buy lightning or aftermarket fuel rails, or can I just modify mine (cut and extend w/ high pressure tubing)?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
faster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question may have been answered in the previous post.
I have a 2003 F-250 5.4 I want to supercharge and a wrecked 2003 Lightning with 42K miles to get everything from. The owner does not want to sell the wiring harness or ECM off the lighning but will sell everything else. Will my ECM and harness work? Also I want a knock sensor is there one in the F-250 or do I need to add it?
Thanks.

Mikey

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by illini5190
Is it possible to put a lighting supercharger on a 5.4 V8 F250? If not is there a decent supercharger on the market for this truck?
I have had SC experience with Centrifugal and Rotor types but my best experience is with Turbo-Charging. My current Fun Car is a Mustang with a Turbo.

Just look at what Ford has done with their new Line of EconoBoost. Much easier for the Do-It-Yourselfer.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM
ncon
Senior User
Turbo seems like the best approach all around, when you have a short block built for boost...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
ncon
Senior User
Can anyone verify a lightning harmonic balancer is alright for a NPI block 5.4? Figured it might matter with different pistons...? I don't think our stock SD balancer will take a Supercharger lower pulley...
NC

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ncon
Can anyone verify a lightning harmonic balancer is alright for a NPI block 5.4? Figured it might matter with different pistons...? I don't think our stock SD balancer will take a Supercharger lower pulley...
NC
All modulars are internally balanced, so yes, any modular balancer will work on there without issues.
JL

Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
ncon
Senior User
Awesome thanks JL. With stock L - pulley setup, stock eaton SC, it does 8lbs of boost I read, and 6lbs is a safer number on stock pistons...but want boost as low as possible in the RPM range. Would I be more on target to get an expensive metco -2LB lower pulley (has stock upper almost new)...or go stock lower pulley and add some kind of boost limiter / BOV?

I can't wait to Supercharge my Superduty!
NC

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome thanks JL. With stock L - pulley setup, stock eaton SC, it does 8lbs of boost I read, and 6lbs is a safer number on stock pistons...but want boost as low as possible in the RPM range. Would I be more on target to get an expensive metco -2LB lower pulley (has stock upper almost new)...or go stock lower pulley and add some kind of boost limiter / BOV?

I can't wait to Supercharge my Superduty!
NC
Do not replace the stock lower with anything that removes the center support. If you're looking to lower boost levels-a Harley F150 upper pulley is larger.
JL

Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Did you get your SC set up done? im dyin to see it!

I will post before and after pics when I do the L-swap, as soon as it warms up some!

Ok and will stick with Ford 42lb injectors, are the connectors EV1? I see references to EV1,EV2 and EV6 as I search. Looks like the SD wiring harness is ok, will just need to extend the iat sensor. Will see about EGR, would like to keep it if possible for economy.

Should I buy lightning or aftermarket fuel rails, or can I just modify mine (cut and extend w/ high pressure tubing)?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
ncon
Senior User
I haven't installed it, yet! I've gathered on the cheap everything needed..and really just two things holding it up; Fuel prices, and cumulative mods have made a noticeable bump in performance.

Fuel prices... not so much when leaning on the gas, but under light throttle. Since the BSFC is poorer, I anticipate a drop in gas mileage from my current avg (same as day 1) of 12MPG. Is the BSFC difference mainly due to SC shorter intake runner design I wonder? If so perhaps a Centri blower then yield better overall fuel economy.

Performance bump from mod helped some, maybe 35hp over stock. PI cam, y-pipe, Mark8 efan, and tune. A PI intake might help me until gas prices drop below $4/gal for super.

Its going to happen! Like others, if it stays on there will be the next question!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
eirk66
New User
Did you ever end up doing this?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM
martingeneral12
New User
Computer program on a 5.4 supercharged swap

Originally Posted by illini5190
Is it possible to put a lighting supercharger on a 5.4 V8 F250? If not is there a decent supercharger on the market for this truck?
I have seen on a forum about a shop who can reprogram a computer to do a 5.4 lightning swap on a f250,but I dont remember where I seen. Any one else know the place,please?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 AM
ncon
Senior User
Good old thread, i miss JL's insights here.

i'm not 100% sure if stock ecm will handle boost with programming...a lightning ecm is only like $200. I recall there was one or two sensor wires difference between the two computers (ecm/ecu), its in these old threads!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM
martingeneral12
New User
Computer program on a 5.4 supercharged swap

i'm not 100% sure if stock ecm will handle boost with programming...a lightning ecm is only like $200. I recall there was one or two sensor wires difference between the two computers (ecm/ecu), its in these old threads!
this motor came with the original ecm and motor wiring harness,but I'm told by Ford it mite not communicating with the other modules on my truck. That's where I mite need computer work to make the connection.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The ecm doesn't care about the pressure in the intake since it measures the air mass and calculates fuel based on the mass air readings.

Quick Reply: Putting a Lighting Supercharger on a 5.4 F250