Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 door convert to 3 door

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 PM
bava01
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 door convert to 3 door

1990 F-150 extended cab. I have a full bench seat and would like to convert to a third door. I have seen it done and the 3rd door latched at the top and/or bottom. I was thinking of buying a cab off of another truck from scrap, cutting/ welding the correct frame and mounting a door. Has anyone done this or can you give me pointers?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bava01
1990 F-150 extended cab. I have a full bench seat and would like to convert to a third door. I have seen it done and the 3rd door latched at the top and/or bottom. I was thinking of buying a cab off of another truck from scrap, cutting/ welding the correct frame and mounting a door. Has anyone done this or can you give me pointers?
You are on the right track, but I don't think Ford ever made a 3rd door in our body style trucks. Any other 3rd door will take considerable customization to make it work and look proper. You could try getting a cab side panel for the side you want the door on. Then you could adapt the door you are using to accept the new skin. This would give you a clean external look. You also need to consider all the internal trim and gaskets that you will probably have to customize out of stuff designed for the cab and stuff designed for the cab with the 3rd door you use.

This is not impossible. I have a plan to install the roll up power rear window from a Toyota into my F150. If you have the time, tools, *****, and spirit go for it. I would love to see the results.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:56 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 351 Likes on 282 Posts
I saw one once at a Ford-sponsored customer clinic in Houston. This was in 1991. It appeared the latch mechanism was from the rear doors of an Econline van. I did not inspect the hinge setup, tho.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
kentuckyredneck
Senior User
Is it possible that the bodylines would match up with an older Econoline? I don't remember what the old ones looked like, but chopping a chunk outta the side of one and welding it into a truck cab might be the way to go.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about this a long time ago and was visualizing using the rear-most (3rd in this case) door of a side entry optioned van. I could be wrong but I do believe that there was such option for the 87-91(?) Econoline van. If such option does exist, the C-pillar could be used, along with the door frame.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've looked pretty heavily into doing this to later seventies ford and i'd do it the same way. using a second cab add on to the existing door frame with the back portion like you were making on long *** door. for the back door you use the rear of the of the usual door frame as the front on a usual door with the usual super cab skin. you can use latches from a newer 3 door truck or the econoline ones would be perfect along with the opened mechanism. i don't have hinges as figured out but suicide doors have been done before plenty of times so use that same setup.

edit: oh and the econoline door and frame thing probably wouldn't work that great, not saying it couldn't be done but the van bodies are taller and don't have a lot in common with the trucks so it would look out of place. i used to have a super rusty econoline and wanted to hack off the back and add a pickup but when i looked into it more it was funny looking.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
bava01
4wd High
All great insight and much appreciated. I happen to have an e350 van, great body, bad transmission. I will likely use the hinges as they offer something like 170 degree opening. The doors are tall and would not quite work, or would involve a lot more metal work to fit. I am leaning toward a quarter panel of a similar cab. I am going to do more measuring and looking at body design to decide. This will be a fun project and probably one that provides a unique learning experience.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the best would be to use the E series hinges if possible and take the section of body off an x-cab truck and make it fit. Hardest part is gonna be making both doors fit together and the suicide door open with enough room to not hit the cab.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
bava01
4wd High
CJM8515 - I was looking to mount the hinges to the back of the cab allowing the door to open minimum 90 degrees from the cab. I am going to look at latching to the cab top and then offering the center normal latch for the forward door. I am leaving the seals out of the discussion for now but will have to make or have them molded to the door

Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
95stepside
Elder User

boy i am glad im not the only one thinking about this... i think ill watch you and see what you come up with for this if you dont mind

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i need to get my super cab and do this!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
bava01
4wd High
95STEPSIDE - I am just starting the planning process, it may be this spring or early summer before I make the first cut. I will post pics through out and possibly compile a video but we will have to see. I always measure twice before I cut and in this case will have to measure a lot before I even think about cutting. I would hate to have a third door that latches but isn't sealed and leaks. Or have a third door that is two thirds window!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
bava01
4wd High
The concept is simple, the conversion is not. Most concepts never see first stage production. Since I don't plan on marketing my project I will perfect the process then start it. This will be my first door add on. I have helped shave and get rid of doors on a friends chevy and that process was slightly easier then this.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you already have an econoline you are half way there. You will need to cut the whole "3rd" side door section of the body and the "2nd" door's end that connects to the "3rd" door. You might have to section out the "3rd" door and it's frame to fit the F150, but all the hard work is done. I don't know how the glass will work, but you can cut out the glass section of the F and weld that in where the glass on the E door was. After this you would just need to reskin the door to get the body lines to match up. I'm not sure about the OEM hinges, but there are so many options out there you can find something that will work.

This reminds me of my old jobs motto.

"The only limitation is your imagination."
We always added "and you wallet." under our breath.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM
damarble
Elder User
I know this is an old thread but it was the only one that showed up in a search. Has anybody else attempted this? I have two cabs here and am seriously considering it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 door convert to 3 door