1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F1, Engine is stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'51 F1, Engine is stalling

I just bought a F1, 1951, three on the tree. I tried driving it around my block and about half way through the trip, the engine started chocking and came to a stop. I can start it again and it runs a bit, but the same thing happens again. I tried playing with the choke as well and it helps briefly. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? I have about a 1/2 tank of gas - new fuel.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
My 49 had fuel problems from the tank all the way through the carb. I had to drain the tank and have it boiled and coated. You can check other threads about the different ways to this yourself or have it done. I chose to have it done at the local radiator shop. On my 49' there is a small valve on the bottom of the tank that has a very small orifice that is easily clogged. Again this is on a 49' I dont know how it differs from a 51'. Always start at the beginning I say. I'd plan on a carburetor rebuild as well. I added a little in line filter until I knew I had clean fuel.
Good luck

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Thanks Dave for the suggestion. I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix. Hopefully, there are a few other suggestions before I have to take that step.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM
rashanny
Junior User
It idles fine by the way. I would think if we had a fuel line issue, that would cause the engine to stall as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
CARB.

Filter would be the first thing to check. Has it been sitting long ? Lots of rust built up in these old gas tanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Good idea. I will check that. I also noticed that I had some smoke coming off the oil cap assembly. I looked that the oil level and it looked good. Clearly needs to be replaced but it looked like I had enough.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Sounds like a clogging problem to me. My grandads 51 did that. It would idle great, because it was able to pull just enough fuel through all the crap and then when he would try to drive it it would starve for gas. The tank was full of all kinds of crap.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Erniebob
New User
I once had a 48 ford coupe when I was a kid, wish I still had it , oh well, anyways.I could drive it for a while, then it would quit. Like it was out of gas. Come to find out it had a bad coil. After it got hot, the coil, it would breakdown. I'd pull off the road and let it set a while then I was good to go until it got hot again. Changed the coil and no other problem. Just throwin it out there, Ernie

Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Thanks for the suggestion.

Another question for everyone. Does anyone have an idea where I can find a diagram of 1951 V8 Flathead engine along with DESCRIPTIONS of what I am looking at. I trying to find my way around this engine.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It sounds like fuel starvation. It's getting enough to idle but not enough to keep the carb bowl full.

So, either you have something plugging it partially (filter, fuel line, sediment in the tank); the fuel pump is shot; OR,,,,,,,

You gas tank is not venting and letting air in so the gas is held back.

First thing to try: Go for a drive with the gas cap off the tank.

Next filters. Then check the fuel pump pressure. Lastly, drain and clean the tank, replace the fuel lines.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe you should've bought a '52...they worked out all those reliability problems!!!

The smoke coming from the oil cap is probably just some fumes from a little blow-by (combustion gasses that get past the piston rings). It is pretty normal. On newer cars the Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) valve vents all of the gasses back to the carb so they literally get sucked out of the crankcase. On the older engines, the crankcase is vented with a "road draft tube", which is a pipe that vents the crankcase to the outside. Sometimes the pipe gets clogged up with goo, so check that out.

On your primary problem...Julie is spot on...your fuel filter is probably clogged enough to let enough gas through for idle, but at higher power settings, it runs out of gas. See if there has been a filter added somewhere in the fuel line. Post a pic of your fuel pump so we can see what type you have.

Dan

Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
For information on the engine and all the rest of the truck, I highly recommend the Parts CD sold by HiPo Parts, HiPo Parts Garage

This is also a valuable site:
Ford Flathead Engines

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
I did put a new coil on my 49'. It was $20, thats cheap insurance. I would still bet on the fuel. I dont know about a 51', all I have is a sediment bowl with a screen. It will filter out the big stuff but that about it. The carb was so full of gunk it was a wonder that gas could get through. It would drive/stay running on flat ground but up or down a hill or if I tried to accelerate she would choke out and shut down.
Thats the nice thing about the classics, if you have a hot spark and good gas you can usually get the running.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Originally Posted by old_dan
Maybe you should've bought a '52...they worked out all those reliability problems!!!

The smoke coming from the oil cap is probably just some fumes from a little blow-by (combustion gasses that get past the piston rings). It is pretty normal. On newer cars the Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) valve vents all of the gasses back to the carb so they literally get sucked out of the crankcase. On the older engines, the crankcase is vented with a "road draft tube", which is a pipe that vents the crankcase to the outside. Sometimes the pipe gets clogged up with goo, so check that out.

On your primary problem...Julie is spot on...your fuel filter is probably clogged enough to let enough gas through for idle, but at higher power settings, it runs out of gas. See if there has been a filter added somewhere in the fuel line. Post a pic of your fuel pump so we can see what type you have.

Dan
Thanks Dan- I am traveling now but when I get back, I will post a picture of the fuel pump. I also looked at the "road draft tube" and noticed it was clogged so I will clean that out as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
rashanny
Junior User
Hi Julie-

Another question for you. In looking at the V8 Flat head, I am trying to better understand all of the components of the engine. As mentioned earlier, I have little experience (at this point) in working with these type of engines, I have a stupid question for you.

Above what I believe is the carb., it looks like a air filter. however, when I open it up, it has oil it in. In fact, it references an oil level. What am I looking at? Sorry for the dumb question.

Quick Reply: '51 F1, Engine is stalling