Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Replacing spark plugs in a V10

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 02:35 PM
RMasters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a 2001 Ford E-350 with the V10.

Was told it already blew out 1 plug. I want them all changed. I do not know if they replaced the blown one with the same type, this one only or all others as well.

So I figured better be safe than sorry. Work has to be done through the doghouse. Any chance one of you who has done it already is around South Bend, IN and would do it?

My dealer wants $500, plus $99 for each plug which might brake.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:43 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RMasters

Was told it already blew out 1 plug. I want them all changed. I do not know if they replaced the blown one with the same type, this one only or all others as well.

So I figured better be safe than sorry. Work has to be done through the doghouse. Any chance one of you who has done it already is around South Bend, IN and would do it?

The 01 plugs won't break (normally). Getting them out should not be a problem. Just make sure you have a perfect 90 degree angle with the plug and wrench handle. Get new plugs and torque to 25 ftlbs and you should be all good to go.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:22 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts

By "type plug" if you mean brand or specification that's one issue, the most important one however is was this "blown plug" ejected or simply failed and no longer firing? If it was ejected the head had to be properly repaired so its helpful knowing what type was used for that repair.

For that engine the dealer price is "fair" and actually significantly less than I've seen quoted here before---upwards of $800 and possibly more. As already said there is little chance the remaining plugs will break as your V10 is the 2V heads which did not use plugs that were prone to break. You don't mention the current mileage or whether the existing plugs have ever been changed and if so how long ago? This info is important because depending on that interval a different procedure might be necessary.

Their bit about breaking plugs doesn't make sense at all---typically changing plugs on that engine would be included in the cost they quote. You might want to clarify what you'd receive for that cost.

You have basically two options---pay the dealer or any other trusted shop to change your plugs or learn to do it yourself. Most of us who've tackled this know its not overly difficult with common hand tools and we're sure our work is as good as if not better than what most shops do. If DIY isn't of interest finding a trustworthy shop is your best bet.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 AM
RMasters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause
The 01 plugs won't break (normally). Getting them out should not be a problem. Just make sure you have a perfect 90 degree angle with the plug and wrench handle. Get new plugs and torque to 25 ftlbs and you should be all good to go.
Yep, normally. And exceptions confirm the rules.

Thanks for the input, but I drive and do not work on vehicles. If too much work is needed, it's junk and I would get rid off it. My time is valuable, am not wasting it on a vehicle.

I will have my dealer do it unless someone mentioned before pops up and would do it. At least I will have the peace of mind of a 1 year warranty. And then I should be good for whatever the recommended interval for change is.

Thanks.