Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Deisel is driving me nuts with the chugging please help

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
maddog9m
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deisel is driving me nuts with the chugging please help

Ok this has been driving me crazy so any help is apreciated, I start my truck and it starts and idles fine for about 3 minutes this is warm or cold out. Then it starts running really ruff and loses all power and will eventually stop running. I can also start it and drive about 3 blocks and it will do same thing. Then when I turn it over it takes about 45 seconds before it will finally act like it wants to start and will eventually start. I'll mash peddle down until it clears out about 1 minute then it starts to run fine and I have no more problems that day. The next day it does the same thing,any suggestions as to what could be causing this? There are no codes and truck has run fine until this started. It acts like the fuel in line is good then hits a spot and almost acts like water in fuel then when I get past that spot it will run fine this is best way to describe it.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Joelong258
Senior User
When was your last fuel filter change on it? When it starts having problems do you notice any white smoke from the exhaust coming out? and its possible you may have a bad cps in there too others will chime in and help more

Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CPS comes to mind. If you have a spare try changing it. If not get one from Ford or International. It's a good idea to have a spare in the glove box.

Fuel filter changed lately?

When was the oil changed? Is it full? When the truck dies, check the oil level in the HPOP resevor. If it is low or empty, you may have a LPOP problem or cracked pickup tube.

Have you done the 50 cent mod?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
trout bum
New User
I had similar symptoms on my last truck. I replaced the CPS and it cured it. Ford had a recall or service bulletin for the CPS a year or so ago. I hope this is all that's wrong with your truck 'cause its a quick, easy and inexpensive fix. You may want to give a little more info about your truck. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on here that enjoy helping fellow powerstrokers. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog9m
Ok this has been driving me crazy so any help is apreciated, I start my truck and it starts and idles fine for about 3 minutes this is warm or cold out. Then it starts running really ruff and loses all power and will eventually stop running. I can also start it and drive about 3 blocks and it will do same thing. Then when I turn it over it takes about 45 seconds before it will finally act like it wants to start and will eventually start. I'll mash peddle down until it clears out about 1 minute then it starts to run fine and I have no more problems that day. The next day it does the same thing,any suggestions as to what could be causing this? There are no codes and truck has run fine until this started. It acts like the fuel in line is good then hits a spot and almost acts like water in fuel then when I get past that spot it will run fine this is best way to describe it.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Is it possible your oil is low? Same symptoms for the most part.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Millenium Edition
Senior User
One of my good friends had this same thing happen to him. As it turned out, the crankcase was 5 qts low, and the air filter was almost brown in color, when it whould be white.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Could this be fuel gelling maybe?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM
maddog9m
Freshman User
The oil has always been changed around 5000 full synth. since new,the fuel filter was just change thinking that was cause which has been changed every 10,000-12,000 miles. I changed the cps a while back about 10,000 miles or a couple yrs ago so I do have the recall notice so I'll take it down to ford and have them change that.

The vehical has every thing banks made for the 7.3 and has never given me a lick of problem till now with exception of tranny which was just taken care of with a new ATS tranny.

I didn't think the tps could cause this type of syptoms I thought it was just it would stop suddenly and not start again am I wrong?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM
maddog9m
Freshman User
its not gelling cause it happened in warm weather but not as bad it seems to be getting worst but I never have driven the EX in winter I'm thinking maybe using it this winter

Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Does it only happen with the first crank of the day, when the engine is cold?

Stewart

Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Does it only happen with the first crank of the day, when the engine is cold?

Stewart
Bingo.

It's a cold start issue. It's not a CPS problem. It has something to do with temps, and the fact that the truck is sitting overnight for many hours.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 AM
maddog9m
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Bingo.

It's a cold start issue. It's not a CPS problem. It has something to do with temps, and the fact that the truck is sitting overnight for many hours.
YUP, this started in the summer but was having tranyy problems so really didnt care about it too much figured it would work itself out. Now it's every time the truck sits for extended period of time after it goes thru the little ruffness it goes back to running fine.

I did run out of deisel on thruway a couple weeks before it started to do this but it ran fine and started right up after I got deisel. The tank never goes below 1/4 now and happens when full or 1/2 or 1/4 tank. I'm at wits end but really hate to take it to dealer.

Does this sound like a fuel heater to anybody? Even when it happened in summer?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i AM NOT SURE THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO GO, BUT MIGHT i SUGGEST CHECKING THE HPOP LEVEL BEFORE YOU START UP. Sorry for the caps..

Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One other thought, it starts fine, runs fine, then starts to act up??

I might change my thought here and go after a pick up screen..

You cycle the key, presure builds up, let it run, presure will drop, but should support idle, just a little rougher, when you go to take off, chugging and possible dying, or even weak pump..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Your IPR is starting to stick. Rebuild or replace IPR.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deisel is driving me nuts with the chugging please help