Aerostar Ford Aerostar

EFI ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rulebreaker
Maybe I'll just put this on the back burner for a while. I also have a couple 4.0L engines i could try and build up but I havent been able to find much in the way of performance stuff for them, other than blowers. I need about 220 HP with lots of torque.
You need a diesel.....

220 HP -eeeh! mid size truck engine... what can fit aero? OM904LA, Cummins B-series ore ISL, Cat 3126.... anyway heavy engines.. a lot of welding and cutting work + truck transmission, may be alisson auto, may be ZF ore Eaton.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Rulebreaker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
You need a diesel.....

220 HP -eeeh! mid size truck engine... what can fit aero? OM904LA, Cummins B-series ore ISL, Cat 3126.... anyway heavy engines.. a lot of welding and cutting work + truck transmission, may be alisson auto, may be ZF ore Eaton.
I already have a NP435 truck tranny so a Ford V8 will bolt right to my powertrain.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rulebreaker
I already have a NP435 truck tranny so a Ford V8 will bolt right to my powertrain.
so 4.6 would be a good choise. Avaliable with EFI

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A 4.6L doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of fitting. For that matter, few engines with overhead cams will. I'm sure you are willing to modify the engine compartment, but for fitment reasons, I would take the old 302 5.0L over the 4.6L just because its going to fit much better.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Rulebreaker
Senior User
The only 4.6L that will bolt to a 435 is the early car engines. They changed the bolt pattern when they came out with one of the electronic tannny's. The old windsor engines are 1/2 the price to work on to boot. Thats why I have the 289 W in my garage.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I think Brothers Performance (BBK) may still have a small supercharger for the 4.0 liter v6. It will actually generate the power levels you want, without blowing the head gaskets. But it was designed for trucks like the Ranger or Explorer, so it is a little too tall for the Aerostar. However, I've seen the modifications you've done before, so I'm pretty confident that you can figure something out.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Rulebreaker
Senior User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
I think Brothers Performance (BBK) may still have a small supercharger for the 4.0 liter v6. It will actually generate the power levels you want, without blowing the head gaskets. But it was designed for trucks like the Ranger or Explorer, so it is a little too tall for the Aerostar. However, I've seen the modifications you've done before, so I'm pretty confident that you can figure something out.
They want more for a SC than I got in the whole van. LOL Would be fun tho.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Ever considered a DIY turbo setup? I'm not sure about the 4.0 OHV, but the 2.9 can handle around 16-19 PSI of boost on stock internals with a good tune. I can't imagine the bigger and beefier 4.0 would be any less capable.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Rulebreaker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Ever considered a DIY turbo setup? I'm not sure about the 4.0 OHV, but the 2.9 can handle around 16-19 PSI of boost on stock internals with a good tune. I can't imagine the bigger and beefier 4.0 would be any less capable.
No but all options are on the table. I take it someone else has done it?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I've never heard of a turbo 4.0 OHV myself, but there is a turbo 2.9 OHV on youtube running around on stock internals, pushing around 400 RWHP.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
The 4.0L won't take it. You need forged internals and lower compression. The engine will run ok on boost for a little while, but as soon as something goes wrong, the engine will self destruct.

For what you are trying to do, the cost or value of the van is irrelevant. Either you want a high powered Aerostar or you don't. People will shell out $10,000 to put out 300 whp in a 1990 Civic. When you are doing this kind of work where you may have to cut and paste, a cheaper vehicle is almost ideal, especially if it is your first time doing something like this.

If you really want to put out some power, go for a 2.3L Turbo motor out of a late eighties Mustang, Thunderbird, or Merkur. The stock motor is just 164 hp, but it is smaller and lighter than a V6. Thew stock motor can handle up to 400 hp before the internals have to be further upgraded. The great news is relative to a performance versus cost, these engines are fairly inexpensive.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Rulebreaker
Senior User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
The 4.0L won't take it. You need forged internals and lower compression. The engine will run ok on boost for a little while, but as soon as something goes wrong, the engine will self destruct.

For what you are trying to do, the cost or value of the van is irrelevant. Either you want a high powered Aerostar or you don't. People will shell out $10,000 to put out 300 whp in a 1990 Civic. When you are doing this kind of work where you may have to cut and paste, a cheaper vehicle is almost ideal, especially if it is your first time doing something like this.

If you really want to put out some power, go for a 2.3L Turbo motor out of a late eighties Mustang, Thunderbird, or Merkur. The stock motor is just 164 hp, but it is smaller and lighter than a V6. Thew stock motor can handle up to 400 hp before the internals have to be further upgraded. The great news is relative to a performance versus cost, these engines are fairly inexpensive.
HP isnt near as important as torque when your turning 35" tires locked front and rear. The 4.0 actually works great in everything i do EXCEPT when i go to the dunes. With a stick shift you cant down shift so you need speed at the bottom without stalling at the top. I actually have a 75 Bronco with a SEFI 351W for this purpose but it wont haul my family to the top in 2 trips, let alone one. The family is why I have the van and the family is why it probably will remain under powered. LOL I could cheaply drop in the 289 with a carb but I'm not sure it will do much better than the 4.0L because it's only 30 HP more with a weight penalty. However much could be done to improve it later. It's allot of work for 30 HP, and time isnt that plentiful around here.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
HP and torque are really equivalent. Horsepower is really nothing more than a dynamic measurement of torque. Torque is commonly referred to as a low end power figure, but in reality, horsepower is a measurement of power versus time. You can have a vehicle that produces a lot of power at low RPM, yet doesn't produce much horsepower. Such a vehicle can be almost unstoppable, and slow as a turtle because it still doesn't produce any real power.

If you set up the 2.3L with a turbo that spools quickly and produces good boost at low RPM, it will produce way more torque than a naturally aspirated 4.0L, or even a naturally aspirated 5.0L. It doesn't matter that the Aerostar is heavy at that point, power is power when geared correctly.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
MFJ
Senior User
For the application, torque is required.
With a stick shift you cant down shift so you need speed at the bottom without stalling at the top.
Torque is a measurement of force. Horsepower is how fast the work gets done. A tractor and a motorcycle can both have 100 hp. The difference is how fast the work gets done.

How well would your Aerostar get moving if you had to wait for the turbo 2.3 to spool up, then shift pretty often to keep it in its power range? The 4.0 has torque down low, and isn't working as hard to make what power it does. A V8 would be even better, more torque and less stress on the engine.

I have a '99 Sable with the 200 hp engine. I also have a '96 Windstar with a 200 hp engine, but more torque. If I got the weights pretty similar (load down the Sable), the Windstar would be quicker off the line. On the Sable, you have to wait till about 3500 rpm for it to get into the power band, and then it takes off.

More extreme is the 300 straight six in my dad's F150. It can chirp the tires off the line, but runs out of steam at 55-60 mph.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I did measurments. If sprinter 5-cyl engine fits aero, 5.0OHV will fit too.. with some welding may be)))

Quick Reply: EFI ?