Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 4x4 Bumpers

Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY 4x4 Bumpers

Hey all, a real newbie here as I just traded my '99 F-150 for a '96 F-350 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD, 4x4. What a beast, but anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here has done any fabrication and built their own front and rear bumpers? I'd like to start by tackling the front bumper and building one that has an integrated grill guard and either a 2" receiver or a winch mounting plate where I can add a winch later on. I'm no stranger to fabrication and am pretty decent with a torch and welder, but I am looking for some direction on a design. Any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
im in the process of making my front bumper now, i modeled it after that first link, ill try to post some pics when i get her done.

the back bumper is my next project

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I made a rear bumper, and added pull points to the front bumper. The rear is held on by ten 1/2 inch bolts.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Looks great! Keep them coming. Thanks for the links too.

ExtremZ I'd love to see some pictures when you're done.

I don't need some pre-runner looking silly thing, I just want a bumper that works as hard and is as rugged as the rest of the truck. Thinking about attempting to make my own nerf bars too. I am an electrician so I have access to the hydraulic pipe benders I would need to bend the tubing. The wife and kids have a hard time climbing into the truck now and I haven't even put a lift on it!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres another one.. it's made by BroncoAir

That one and the one by Buckstop are probably my two favorites as far as getting the "Beefy" look.

Buckstop

Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, I really like the Buckstop bumpers. I like that they have the headlight "brush guards" integrated into their design. The only thing I don't care for is the flat sheet metal they both use for the center section riser. I think I'd rather see a tubular riser there similar to what Buckstop uses on their newer style Dodge bumpers. They certainly are rugged. I like the integrated 2" receiver and winch mounting options too. Nice bumpers, but I think I can make one for a whole lot less than the $1600 they want for one!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I think I can make one for a whole lot less than the $1600 they want for one!
agreed. take a loot at the link i provided in the 92-96 winch bumpers section. there you can get the main part of the bumper for $800? and it looks really good then you can add you own bush guards or whatever you want to it and paint it whatever color.

Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I made a rear bumper, and added pull points to the front bumper. The rear is held on by ten 1/2 inch bolts.
can you post pics of this 10 bolt mount and i really really want to see what you did with the pull points on the front. i really need some of those lol

heres some similar to the buckstop for half the price. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-471

this one come with or without the prerunner bars. .250 plate steel and you can use it to bypass the accordian section of the frame. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...ch-bumper.html

i like rocksolid bumpers over buckstop personally. similar designs half the price.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine's not as fancy as some of the others but it is homemade.

It started off as a much bigger "push" bumper however after a year I cut it way down as it was a big enormous.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
The rear bumper here is made with 3"x5" rectngular tubing 3/16 wall. Its mounted with 1/4" flat plate bolted to the frame. I used 5 grade 8 bolts on each side in the exsisting frame holes. Super solid bumper. Has bcked over concrete filled steel barriers a few times with no damage. Funny stories about those. Been towing with it for 20 years. Hopefully the picture uploaded or cjeck out my profile

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
can you post pics of this 10 bolt mount and i really really want to see what you did with the pull points on the front. i really need some of those lol.
I don't have pics of the rear, but there are two bolts that go through the sides of the frame on both brackets like the stock bumper, than have a chunk of metal welded to it that gets pinched between the rear receiver hitch and the frame. That's 3 more bolts on each side. And here is a thread about the front pull points. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...mple-zone.html

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
IDI Diesel, your pic didn't upload, and I didn't see any pics of the bumper on your profile. I'd like to see some pictures of that, since rugged is the name of the game as far as I am concerned.
Frederic, that is one HUGE bumper (before)! What gauge steel did you use to build it? looks like 1/4" plate steel to me. Just curious.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I don't have pics of the rear, but there are two bolts that go through the sides of the frame on both brackets like the stock bumper, than have a chunk of metal welded to it that gets pinched between the rear receiver hitch and the frame. That's 3 more bolts on each side. And here is a thread about the front pull points. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...mple-zone.html
hmm nice... im gonna have to do that one day when im bored. either way i was thinkin about cutting that crimple zone off the frame and welding straight rectangular tubing on then bolting it on with something similar to that. and using that as a fishplate kinda thing, if ya catch my drift. anyway sorry for the

Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Frederic, that is one HUGE bumper (before)! What gauge steel did you use to build it? looks like 1/4" plate steel to me. Just curious.
Yep, it was quarter inch plate for the front faces, quarter inch thick 4" angle iron that slips over the truck's frame in the front, and the top is 18 ga.

The lights are Isuzu Trooper headlights from some year range I cant' remember, and it's bugging me because one's broken at this point and I can't find replacements. If I remembered the year I could jsut buy aftermarket ones.

They had 180W/100W bulbs in them - they are most bright, and with a switch in the cab I can switch to those in place of the headlights. I used them mostly for very rural driving in inclimate weather. I never found 35W or 55W driving lights to be particularly useful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY 4x4 Bumpers