Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New FRx from Riffraff Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
New FRx from Riffraff Diesel

I ordered an FRx from Clay at Riffraff Diesel to help quiet down the injectors and fix the dead-head fuel rail system. Like many guys on the forums, I use my truck as a daily driver and tow rig for summer trips. I didn’t see the need for a fully adjustable regulated return set-up like some guys have installed for my purpose. I liked the response that Riffraff FRx kit got from the forum community and decided to order one.

The day I ordered it, I received a call from Clay asking if I would be interested in trying out a new design of the kit for him. Of course I said yes! He then told me that he was working on a new kits that would utilize braided stainless hose in lieu of the rubber 30R9 Fuel Injection hose. He said he would be able to ship me a kit in a few weeks to do a test install on it. So after sitting around like a kid waiting for Christmas , Clay let me know he had sent the package to me. (Yes, for all of you that do not know Clay is just like Santa Claus to some of us!!!!! )

The kit is very well made as always and is packaged nicely with all the required parts for the job. The instructions are easy to follow and the install went pretty quick, once I got the passenger head fitting in (big hands are a bad thing there!). The back fitting on the drivers side head was a cinch (didn't even pull my intake or anything). Routed the hoses and checked for leaks. It did bring my fuel pressure up a bit, but it was pretty high already, which surprised me. Install time was probably less than 2 hours so not a bad job at all. I do recommend a 5/16" 8-point socket in 1/4" drive if you have one and a wobble extension for the passenger head plug! (Thanks gunnertom for that tidbit of info)

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the kit. I did take some video before and after of the engine idling. I haven't had a chance to put the two videos together for a comparison, but it does appear to be much quieter now, especially once the oil is warmed up.

Clay has created another great product for us 7.3L guys and I am happy to have tested it for him.

Thanks Clay

Removing passenger head plug

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow there's no more tee! One less hose and 2 less fittings to leak. Always nice to see improvements!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
So are the hoses crimped? Looks like it. I like!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Looks really nice. "Clean, Simple, and Cost Effective", which is something I know that Clay works hard to accomplish with his kits, and he does really well at it, too.

The only thing I would add, personally, is some loom to prevent the SS braid from abrading anything it rubs on (like any of the wiring inside some of the other runs of loom in that area). I know the loom would remove some of the bling, but what is it you really want... "bling bling" or a "working thing"?

Wow!! Where did THAT come from?!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy fule line improvements... I was just checking out Riffraff's site this morning and noticed that they were taking orders for the new braided fuel line model.

Now I just need to convince the little lady that we really need one of these puppies.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
jrf250
Tuned
Looks great, I need to pull the trigger on this Myself. Looks like it takes the place of the fuel pressure regulator. In agree Clay is like Santa Clause to Us and the big brown truck is the sleigh.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bulla
So are the hoses crimped? Looks like it. I like!
Yes the hoses are crimped!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Looks really nice. "Clean, Simple, and Cost Effective", which is something I know that Clay works hard to accomplish with his kits, and he does really well at it, too.

The only thing I would add, personally, is some loom to prevent the SS braid from abrading anything it rubs on (like any of the wiring inside some of the other runs of loom in that area). I know the loom would remove some of the bling, but what is it you really want... "bling bling" or a "working thing"?

Wow!! Where did THAT come from?!

Just to add that Ken is a beta tester so that is why you don't see any covers in those pictures. We are having custom line covers made that will come with the kit and you will have the choice to use them if you want.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance

Just to add that Ken is a beta tester so that is why you don't see any covers in those pictures. We are having custom line covers made that will come with the kit and you will have the choice to use them if you want.
Awesome! I was hoping you would chime in on the covers. Didn't know how you were going to handle it, so I left it up to you.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Looks good! I see you can trade in your old one for the newer version for $50. Maybe he will sell me one.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
LaJ10
Senior User
Now the wait for them to come available .Clay when do you think that will be ?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by LaJ10
Now the wait for them to come available .Clay when do you think that will be ?
From his website!

We are expecting to ship by or before 1/10 so secure your place in line now!
Riffraff FRx

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
SAAWEEETT!!!!

OK Now I need to convince my wife that i need that. Hmmm Maybe I can throw it in with the new tranny and convince her that I have one already and it failed. hehe

"Ummm honey. The tranny shop called and said that my fuel return is failing. Dealer wants $300 but I can get one from RiffRaff for $178! What a deal!"

NO TELLING HER THE TRUTH CHRIS!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Very very nice! Way to go Clay.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
LaJ10
Senior User
Will be ordering my upgrade tomorrow morning

Quick Reply: New FRx from Riffraff Diesel