6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Long or Short Bed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Long or Short Bed?

What are the pros and cons of the LWB truck? If you add a tool box to the SWB, then you only have 4 feet or so of workable space. But with the 24ft. length of the LWB it looks hard to move around the local Wal-Mart. Can anybody provide their experiences?

FYI: leave the fuel tank size difference out of topic, I know that pro already.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 PM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a crew cab short bed. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Mine is plenty long, will just fit (length) at best in parking spots. Usually just park in a father spot and take up 1 1/2 a spot so someone doesn't take off the front.

Even if you plan on putting in a tool box you would still have the use of the full bed for at least half way up, depending on the box.

Unless you really need the space, personally I would stick with the short bed. I am assuming you are planning on a crew cab. If you are getting a regular or extended cab you are back to personal preference I guess. Just my opinion, but I like the look of the short beds better also.

How big is your garage also if you plan on putting it in there.

I am sure you will get some long bed people in here also. Good luck you will enjoy it either way.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short bed...next question please!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cford716
I have a crew cab short bed. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Mine is plenty long, will just fit (length) at best in parking spots. Usually just park in a father spot and take up 1 1/2 a spot so someone doesn't take off the front.

Even if you plan on putting in a tool box you would still have the use of the full bed for at least half way up, depending on the box.

Unless you really need the space, personally I would stick with the short bed. I am assuming you are planning on a crew cab. If you are getting a regular or extended cab you are back to personal preference I guess. Just my opinion, but I like the look of the short beds better also.

How big is your garage also if you plan on putting it in there.

I am sure you will get some long bed people in here also. Good luck you will enjoy it either way.
Garage is out of question.... Wide enough, tall enough, not deep enough. Crew Cab as well. But you thnik the long is too long?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:19 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Garage is out of question.... Wide enough, tall enough, not deep enough. Crew Cab as well. But you thnik the long is too long?
Again my personal opinion, but for me I can't imagine driving the crew cab long bed every day. Driving fine, but in a parking lot forget it. You will always take up 2 spots lengthwise. Any LB guys chime in here.Unless you are going to need the extra space most of the time I would stick with the SB.

What do you usually carry in the bed that is making you think you need the LB?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I opted for the short bed after hearing my brother complain about his 2008 long bed (and he is a truck driver for a living). His complaints were wide turning radius, difficult to find a parking spot and the inability to park it in his garage. My short bed will (fingers crossed) fit into my 22'3" garage.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
I could carry anything you could think of, but the whole reason for the truck is to be capable of anything possible that a person on a job site might need, but on the flip side this will be my weekend truck as well, so short bed is looking good.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by lexustbs
I could carry anything you could think of, but the whole reason for the truck is to be capable of anything possible that a person on a job site might need, but on the flip side this will be my weekend truck as well, so short bed is looking good.
I have always had short beds, the last one being a Ram 1500 and that bed is shorter than this one and I carried plenty of 4x8 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc. I don't do construction for a living so it was not an everyday thing. I am not sure what the weight the tailgate is certified to carry but with it down gives you the extra room, just tie things down when needed.

Go to the dealership and drive both, that maybe enough for you to decide that you really don't need to be able to carry "anything".

Just curious what do you drive now?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had 5 short box trucks since my last long bed in 1997.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
This is my first long bed and I was a little worried about it. After driving it for 3-4 months now (actually, after 5 minutes), I was very happy with the choice. I've always been the type would rather have the little extra for the 5-10% of the time I might need or want it than to ever say, "Man, a long bed would have been nice in this situation." Or, "Man, I should have got the large popcorn instead of the medium." Just me...

I have no issues with the truck around town or in parking lots. This is my daily driver. It's a little more difficult to park, but I just go for the spot further away with no cars by it and walk an extra 5-10 seconds. It's good for the heart.

Mine fits in the garage, but if it wouldn't and the short be would...I'd have gotten the short bed.

And again, just personal preference...I prefer the look of the long bed.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
jstange2
Junior User
Well, looks like im the odd man out. Always had long beds and always will. From pulling trailers and not having to worry about damage to actually being able to haul stuff when I need or want to. Parking wise, I always park far out anyway to keep the door dingers at bay and always embrace a short walk. Its only 16 inches longer on an already long truck so unless I could fit a short bed in a garage and not a long bed, I would get the long bed (imagine that huh). Besides, I've been told it helps on resale. They are never on the lot long.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd have a long bed in a heart beat if I never had to park it close to other cars. Plus, in some places, I would have clearance issues climbing among the rocks in Moab, Utah. I already can't go on many trails with the short bed and a long bed just wouldn't work with the long entry and exit angles.

Other than that, the long beds have all the advantages.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Another reason I opted for the short bed is that I have two hauling trailers. A covered one and a flat bed. If I ever get to the point where I am close to filling up the short bed, chances are that I have so much stuff that I will be using one of the trailers to haul what I can't fit anyways. We are only talking about a foot and half difference.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
I've always had short beds until this truck...I went for the long bed because I wanted a slide in camper...many more options with a long bed...But parking in normal parking lots is a pita and turning radius sucks, plus on poorly poored concrete interstates the ride is almost unbearable. Im glad I got what I did but if I didn't want a big camper...no way would I get a long bed.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 AM
jstange2
Junior User
Ride is supposed to be better on a long bed. Someone posted in another thread that a SB has a 53.5' turning diameter while LB is 58.5' Not much difference when its that far except for you big city folk.

Quick Reply: Long or Short Bed?