6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Block Heater Cord Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Paratrooper84
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info... I will be making a phone call to my sales rep first thing tomorrow morning! I guess I still would like to see a picture just for future reference!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
After reading more comments in the thread I have to agree that not all trucks have the block heater installed. When contacting my dealer he stated that he knows my truck did not have the option installed and unfortunately the vin numbers does inform him if the truck has the element installed. An estimate to have the cord installed is $175 if the element is there which I planned to install myself but I cannot find the element or $500 to $600 if the element and cord need to be installed. The dealer told me that the block heater is standard (or maybe just the element) on all trucks sold in northern states (15). It would be great if someone would be willing to take a picture of the block heater connection if the cord is not installed or a pic of the connection with the cord.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Paratrooper84
Thanks for the info... I will be making a phone call to my sales rep first thing tomorrow morning! I guess I still would like to see a picture just for future reference!
Considering that you told your salesman that you wanted it, it is not your fault that he may have been misinformed. Therefore I would hope the dealership would cover its installation especially $500+ is a lot more than the $75 option it is (if I remember correctly, for those "southern" states of OH and IL). Hopefully they will not play games about what was said or not.

Originally Posted by hikeril
After reading more comments in the thread I have to agree that not all trucks have the block heater installed. When contacting my dealer he stated that he knows my truck did not have the option installed and unfortunately the vin numbers does inform him if the truck has the element installed. An estimate to have the cord installed is $175 if the element is there which I planned to install myself but I cannot find the element or $500 to $600 if the element and cord need to be installed. The dealer told me that the block heater is standard (or maybe just the element) on all trucks sold in northern states (15). It would be great if someone would be willing to take a picture of the block heater connection if the cord is not installed or a pic of the connection with the cord.
As in my previous post IL isn't included in the "northern states" either, go figure. Are both your salesman new to selling trucks in your states? You would think this would have come up before if they have been there a while.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Thanks cford716 for referencing the 15 northern states. The dealer did not know what states they were and said I would have to bring the truck in to determine is availability for the cord. I plan to take my chances traveling to ND without a block heater.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess here in Nebraska we dont get the cord either. I guess below 0 temps dont count like we have had the last couple off mornings. If I ordered a new truck I would get there best price possible an then ask if it comes with the heater an cord. if they said thats extra I would say no deal. the cord comes with that price or I am leaving right now. Something like that would be enough to turn me off on the whole deal. Kind off like buying a truck with wheels but no tires. I am glad i read this thread they wont pull that on me. Got know how to handle that situation.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you look at page 11 of the 6.7 coffee table book http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php you can see the plug that I'm talking about just to the left of where the engine stand is bolted up to the block. The plug is clearly shown here where the heater would go.

On page 30, they state that "The engine block heater is standard
on every engine. The power cord is an optional accessory." If the heater is standard on every engine, why does the every picture where it's visible show a dummy plug and not a heater? I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the states where the heater is supposed to be standard only get the heater and the cord is still optional. The lack of an actual heater looks to be a cost savings measure.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
If you look at page 11 of the 6.7 coffee table book (http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php)you can see the plug that I'm talking about just to the left of where the engine stand is bolted up to the block. The plug is clearly shown here where the heater would go.

On page 30, they state that "The engine block heater is standard
on every engine. The power cord is an optional accessory." If the heater is standard on every engine, why does the every picture where it's visible show a dummy plug and not a heater? I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the states where the heater is supposed to be standard only get the heater and the cord is still optional. The lack of an actual heater looks to be a cost savings measure.
My window sticker (NY) has Engine Block Heater listed under the options at No Charge. There is not another charge that I see that would separate the cord from the heater.

????????????

Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I guess that proves that theory wrong! Not only is my heater cordless, it's elementless as well!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I hate to bring this month old topic back but I thought about this today and decided to check. Appears I don't have it either if I took a picture of the correct location.

Not sure what Ford meant by "standard on all engines" but in fairness the only book that stated this was the coffee table book. The manual does say "if equipped." I guess I'll stay away from the northern states during the winter!

I had to correct my statement on the first page since I assumed the documentation was correct.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Noah2010
Junior User
When I ordered, salesman said the block heater was standard. When I got the invoice.... no block heater listed, I called and the truck was in production and it was too late to add. The salesman was previously across the river in IA, where it is standard and admitted he screwed up and agreed to install the heater at no cost to me. He said it was a simple install as the heating element was already installed and all they would have to do was run the wiring to the front of the truck. They ordered the factory wiring harness, went to install it and found there was not a element installed in the block. Well, back the Order Book. The job is finally done.

Everyone at the dealership are still scratching their heads over the lack of a heating element as it cost Ford many dollars to maintain two 6.7 build specs. The element cost are nill on a over $7000 power plant.

I would love to sit in on that accounting meeting!

Still Smiling though

Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
arkie3
Junior User
Bought mine in NE Arkansas and it came with the heater and plug @ front grille. Window sticker shows it as well. It's not that cold here, but it sure makes a difference. No idea why, it was dealer stock.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were several (most) of dealer stock that has/had the engine block heater in the Houston area. Not sure why, it never gets to 10F here much less -10F.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Not to bring a thread back from the dead, but...

I was just doing some research as to what the coding is for the block heater chord and came across this thread. My truck is from Texas, outside of the Austin area, and did not have a block heater chord installed when I got it. My understanding was that the heater was built in from the factory and that the chord was the option.

As I read through this thread it sounds like some trucks don't have the heater element installed, let alone the chord. I am going to venture a guess to the fact I don't have the element either as there is no need in Austin, TX.

Does anyone have information as to installing the heater element in addition to the chord? Is the element something that can be installed without tearing the engine down to the block?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Not to bring a thread back from the dead, but...

I was just doing some research as to what the coding is for the block heater chord and came across this thread. My truck is from Texas, outside of the Austin area, and did not have a block heater chord installed when I got it. My understanding was that the heater was built in from the factory and that the chord was the option.

As I read through this thread it sounds like some trucks don't have the heater element installed, let alone the chord. I am going to venture a guess to the fact I don't have the element either as there is no need in Austin, TX.

Does anyone have information as to installing the heater element in addition to the chord? Is the element something that can be installed without tearing the engine down to the block?
I ordered my truck with a heater and if I remember right it was a $75.00 option at build. I crawled under it to see where it went into the block but couldn't directly see it. In most applications the heater replaces an existing freeze plug but that may not be the case in this new motor. I would ask my dealer's service manager. Crazy or one of the moderators will also know. I have had my truck since Oct of last year and have never needed it. It gets cold here next to the Cascade's too. Good luck.

Last edited by Tom; 07-24-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
It is a freeze plug type heater, and there is some contradictory information out there. The "coffee table book" states that all 6.7 engines have them installed, but some members here have said that their truck had no such heater installed so I don't know...

I can say that in OH you may not need to have one. I have a YouTube video of how easily my truck started at -10° without benefit of the block heater. I used mine to increase fuel efficiency below 30°. These things burn a LOT of fuel when cold!

Quick Reply: Block Heater Cord Connection?