Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Senior User

1979BEAST is starting off with a positive reputation.
jordan truitt jackrabbit1979
Cool Four wheel drive not working at all !!!

Hey guys got a real bad snow/ice storm today and got stuck in a 2ft drift and found out my 4x4 is not working !!! Need help expose to get 15in this weekend

The truck has manual trans, manual transfer case, and manual hubs I've never had a problem with this before with a full manual system with electronic systems I've had problems blowing fuses and that's why I went with manual

Need help bad can't even pull in my drive way with out getting stuck !!!

Thanks guys
Jordan
2000 F250 7.3L 4X4 crew cab 6sp.regulated return dual sd pumps fuel sump arp headstuds fullforce 250/200% injectors 38r southbend 3600# dualdisk clutch hpx t500 mbrp 4in ss exhaust ev2 gauges pyro eot egt fuel pressure all tuned by matt at gearhead automotive
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Posting Guru

Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would check out the hubs first. It only takes one of them not grabbing to make 4wd not work since its an open diff on the front
1999 Pontiac Sunflower 230k
1984 Chebby K20 4 speed Fischer plow 48k original miles beat to hell
Previous trucks- 3 7.3 powerstrokes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Senior User

How do I go about doing that ?
Thanks for the quick response
2000 F250 7.3L 4X4 crew cab 6sp.regulated return dual sd pumps fuel sump arp headstuds fullforce 250/200% injectors 38r southbend 3600# dualdisk clutch hpx t500 mbrp 4in ss exhaust ev2 gauges pyro eot egt fuel pressure all tuned by matt at gearhead automotive
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Posting Guru

Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

Im assuming the auto ones and manual ones come apart the same or at least similar
Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Posting Guru

Jack the front of the truck up in 2wd lock the hubs and if you spin one front tire the other shuld spin the opposite direction. If the other side doesn't spin then its a locking hub issue

On edit never mind an easier way is to crawl under the truck grab the front driveshaft you should be able to spin it in two wheel drive then go out lock the hubs and you shouldn't be able to turn it. If you can its a hub issue. If you can't then unlock the hubs put the truck in 4wd you shouldn't be able to turn the driveshaft. If you can its a transfer case issue.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
if you have aftermarket hubs like warn hubs they can come apart. Mine have been doing it, I haven't torn it apart yet, but pretty sure the cause is the needle bearing inside the sealed bearing unit that the axle shaft rides in. Yes you can replace that one.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Senior User

Okay ill try that and wut do I do if its a hub problem ? How much do warn hubs cost for these truck or are there better hubs spicer maybe or dana or other companies that make good hubs ? I don't like the ones that are on it they don't specify locked or unlocked
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Elder User

firemaster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Warns are pretty much what everyone here uses. Look here
Riffraff Diesel: Warn Hubs
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If somebody just did brakes on this and took the hubs apart since the last time you used them they mit not put it back togther right. It happen to me off road in wyomig on a hunting trip and couldn't make it up the hill. Went back to town took it apart reinstalled it the right way and off I went, worked perfect. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muktown View Post
Jack the front of the truck up in 2wd lock the hubs and if you spin one front tire the other shuld spin the opposite direction. If the other side doesn't spin then its a locking hub issue

On edit never mind an easier way is to crawl under the truck grab the front driveshaft you should be able to spin it in two wheel drive then go out lock the hubs and you shouldn't be able to turn it. If you can its a hub issue. If you can't then unlock the hubs put the truck in 4wd you shouldn't be able to turn the driveshaft. If you can its a transfer case issue.
Okay tried this lock hubs canrt turn drive shaft unlock and put t-case in 4x4 can't turn drive shaft so why wouldn't my front tires spin last night when I needed my 4x4 ?

Unlock everything drive shaft spins freely

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
here any noises when it wasn't turning your tires?

I have seen splines on driveshafts be bad enough that under power they would slip but you couldn't spin them by hand for example.

Also are you SURE your tires weren't spinning? Or just not the one on the drivers side.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior User

No noise and I could feel the transfercase engage but when the GF and her sister hoped out to see if they were spinning and they wernt just the back tires and the speedo sed I was going 15mph and just the back tires were spinning

The 4x4 worked last week when I used it and about a month ago when I used the truck to put a new deer stand up I got stuck in sand kicked on the 4x4 and pulled out of my ruts

I don't understand why they wouldn't work if they were just working ???
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Maybe one side wasn't turned all the way as you thought. Maybe one side let loose if so either side will turn. Jack up the truck, lock in one side and see if the axle turns by hand while turning the tire. If so unlock and do the same thing on the other side. If one side didn't lock in you found the bad hub. If they both work then they probably weren't lock in completely or the diff is bad internally.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Posting Guru

Im guessing you just didn't have one of them fully engaged. And you had your girlfriend checking it out just remember only one side will spin so if she was on the driver side maybe the passenger side was spinning? If you want take the hubs apart and have a look see greasing them never hurts anyway but im guessing one wasn't fully engaged. They could have been iced up and you thought they turned to the stop but maybe they didn't turn far enough. Just throwin possibilities out there
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
04, 1999, 2000, drive, engaging, expedition, f250, f350, ford, four, manual, powerstroke, quit, wheel, working