6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'05 f250 6.0 no oil flow/pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 AM
jeffrsi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 f250 6.0 no oil flow/pressure

Hello All. My truck died seconds after a warm restart. No previous symptoms. Check Gauges message. After long crank..no idiot gauge pressure. pulled oil filter and cranked... no flow, no oil. pulled LPOP regulator. It all just kinda slid out of the bore like it wasn't stuck. No oil came out with it. Crank with regulator out... not a drop of oil. Pulled LPOP...nothing notable, no grooves, very minor markings actually.

Am I missing something or is my next step to pull the pan? Can the pan clear without jacking the engine?
BTW it does have oil in the pan... just saying.
102,000 miles

Appreciate any help, thanks

Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Forum.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Did you check your oil level? Do notice any oil leaks? Also I think you have to have at least 500psi of oil pressure on the injectors to get it to crank over. My oil pressure idiot light usually doesn't even move until after the truck is started. And somtimes shows nothing until its in. Gear.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ I agree. My gauge will do the same.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrsi
Am I missing something or is my next step to pull the pan? Can the pan clear without jacking the engine?
BTW it does have oil in the pan... just saying.
102,000 miles

Appreciate any help, thanks
Have you checked for codes?

If you decide to pull the pan:

You don't have to pull the upper pan, but it might be wise to remove it and replace the gaskets. The job requires an upper pan gasket, lower pan gasket and a pick up tube o-ring.
Removal of the outer shroud is all that is necessary. Remove the motor mount nuts and lift the engine. Make sure to wedge something like a block of wood or large sockets between the frame and motor mounts for safety.

Unbolt the pan and drop it down. Then drop the pick up tube in the pan - the pan will not clear with the tube in place. Then slide the pan out the rear under the transmission.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM
jeffrsi
New User
Thanks for the responses...hopefully the tube will be laying in the pan. Why else would I have no low oil pressure if everything else looks fair.

Unreal04... yep it's got oil. you gotta have low pressure oil before you can have high pressure oil. yes there are oil leaks... it's a 6.0. My idiot gauge always came up on crank... thats why this has got me so baffled... from running trouble free to zilch in 15 seconds

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
jeffrsi
New User
Bismic, there were no codes. Just the "check gauges" on the message center as it died

Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Bismic, there were no codes. Just the "check gauges" on the message center as it died
The check gauges light would be from no oil pressure on the idiot needle. Don't remember, but does the gerotor have some kind of key to drive it and maybe it sheared off??? Did you crank the motor with the gerotor in place, cover off to see what it was doing?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
jeffrsi
New User
No I did not crank it without the cover. The gerotor does have what looks like 1/4 key slots but also has large flats on either side. the crank is machined with flats to match. No way it's spinning unless its broke in half.
There is some slop in the old and new crank mounted "gear" but its a rotation thing and not a wobble.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

No I did not crank it without the cover. The gerotor does have what looks like 1/4 key slots but also has large flats on either side. the crank is machined with flats to match. No way it's spinning unless its broke in half.
There is some slop in the old and new crank mounted "gear" but its a rotation thing and not a wobble.
Now that I went back and read the manual I see. The gerotor gears are only like $30 so as long as you're there replace them.

I don't understand what you mean by slop between the "old and new". There shouldn't be any slop to speak of.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 AM
jeffrsi
New User
how to explain... put a sprocket on a shaft, it fits good but without a key it can spin on the shaft. Or if the key was worn it might have this movement
The flats in the gear are bigger than the flats on the shaft in this case. the "slop" is a spinning movement. It's ever so slight but there is movement. Both the old gear and new have this movement.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:02 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

how to explain... put a sprocket on a shaft, it fits good but without a key it can spin on the shaft. Or if the key was worn it might have this movement
The flats in the gear are bigger than the flats on the shaft in this case. the "slop" is a spinning movement. It's ever so slight but there is movement. Both the old gear and new have this movement.
I understand what you're saying now. I didn't know that you'd already installed a new gerotor set. I suppose you've already reinstalled the pump cover and tried to see if it would pump oil to the filter with the new gerotor in it?

I'm sorry if I maybe come off to you as ignorant, but it's been 4 years since the last time I put in a gerotor pump MYSELF. I'm just trying to help you solve your problem with the least amount of work involved on your part and I have to ask questions.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
jeffrsi
New User
hey I appreciate the questions and input... makes me feel better about laying under it talking to myself.
Way I look at it is ... if I can't explain it then I didn't look at it good enough in the first place.

I put the pump and cover on and it didn't change anything. New regulator too.
Everybody keeps saying 30 - 35 bucks for gears...I paid $535 for gears, cover, seals and the pressure regulator. Should I throw the old one at somebody?

Nothing else to report at the time... had to actually go to work so it's sitting for a day or so

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

hey I appreciate the questions and input... makes me feel better about laying under it talking to myself.
Way I look at it is ... if I can't explain it then I didn't look at it good enough in the first place.

I put the pump and cover on and it didn't change anything. New regulator too.
Everybody keeps saying 30 - 35 bucks for gears...I paid $535 for gears, cover, seals and the pressure regulator. Should I throw the old one at somebody?

Nothing else to report at the time... had to actually go to work so it's sitting for a day or so
Wow--you got a whole new front engine cover and everything. I'm not sure that you can get the pressure regulator any other way though. I know you can get JUST the gerotor gears for less than $35. I replace (or have replaced) mine everytime I do anything major. Cheap insurance.

One thing about the used front cover though.....it should be very saleable to someone with an 03 or early 04 motor since it has the bigger/upgraded water pump cavity. They are fairly popular.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
i remember a post awhile back with someone that had this problem.ended up being a stc fitting.there was so much oil bypassing the broken fitting that it wouldnt build low oil pressure.you need to make sure its not a stc fitting before you go any further.

Quick Reply: '05 f250 6.0 no oil flow/pressure