Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Junior User

crabjoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flat spot or tire balancing?

My Expy sat for 2 years and when I recently put it back on the road, I made sure to have my tires balance. At 1st, it felt like I had flat spots in my tires, but now that I've got a thousand miles or so on it, I feel like it's just out of balance now.

I've got a bad vibration from 40-50mph then it smooths back out until I get to about 75mph and there's a vibration again, but only slight at the 75mph+ speeds. Also, it runs fine below 40mph.

So what do you think it is? Can it be that my tires just need to be rebalanced again, since my flat spots are now gone, or is what I'm feeling a permanent flat spot and I should just bite the bullet and get new tires? I just hate the idea of getting new tires because the tires I have on there only have about 10K miles on them and look new!

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Big Greenie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would find a shop that offers road force balancing. This will tell you for sure if it is a balance issue or you are feeling flat spots. Usually flat spots will go away after a short drive but 2 years is longer than I have ever let something sit.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you had them balanced when you first took it out of mothballs, the tires have surely changed now that they are getting used and have probably changed a bit. I'd go the rebalance route. The other thing to consider is the age of the tires, not the mileage. Tires generally have a 5-7 year life from the date of manufacture (not the date of purchase - depending on where you got them, this date may be considerably different). You should check the date code on the sidewall just to make sure you aren't spending good money on a set that is due to be replaced anyway.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
If you have a flat spot or if the belt(s) have slipped you should be able to feel it by running your hands around the tread.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Junior User

crabjoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks folks. Tires feel fine and look great! I think I might try a road force balance. I here those Hunter road force balancing machines can't balance a tire with a flat spot because the balance a tire under load. So I figure, if they can balance the tires, I'm good. If not, I guess I'll be looking for some new tires.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
New User

Houseworth_t is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say re balance because when it vidrates at certain speeds that is the main culprit. with vibration at two different speeds seems to be two different tires are unbalanced. If that does not work the obviously bite the bullet.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior User

dirtmonkey11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with "Big Greenie", the most accurate way to get a tire balanced and checked is to have a tire machine that will put a load on the tire when it is checking/balancing it. That would give you the best results.
DynoMax Exhaust
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a truck with heavy duty 10 ply tires that I let sit for about the same time as yours, and when I started driving it again I found that the belts in the tires had settled and I wound up having to replace them. One of them actually threw a tread off and tore up my truck, so check them out good.
2008 ford f-250 cc 5.4 super duty , raider hi rise camper top with thule ladder racks, front winch bumper top gun, rear bumper top gun,12,000 lb. winch, 98 gal. aux tank, on board 12 volt puma air compressor w/10gal tank and 50' auto hose reel,1000 amp 2nd battery,1,000,2,500,6,000 watt power inverters, 9" hid lights, running boards, air horns by hadley, xm radio, fac. 6 cd nav. center, air bags, cb,2-4'12volt flourescent lights in back.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
35, 40, balance, balancing, expedition, factory, flat, ford, machines, motorhome, permanent, spot, spots, spotting, tire, tires