Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 PM
New User

joddo is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-350 won't start after oil change and fuel filters changed!!! HELP!! PLEASE!

i am facing the same problem as of last night now my batteries are dead!! I am charging them again and would like to know if the 2003 F-350 6.0 powerstroke lariat has the fuel shut off button as well!! I am not getting to far with solving this problem and now it has started snowing i was out there till 2am last night up early today and have been trying to fix this all day called ford and did not get too much info! basically I changed the oil and all filters last night, started the truck up and it started up perfectly then after about two minutes it shut down! I cycled it two times before I started it and thought that would have been enough sadly mistaken!! now I for the life of me can not get it started! batteries went dead a few times! now I am on the third charge of the day! PLEASE COMMENT HERE OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT JOHNODDO@ME.COM THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by joddo View Post
i am facing the same problem as of last night now my batteries are dead!! I am charging them again and would like to know if the 2003 F-350 6.0 powerstroke lariat has the fuel shut off button as well!! I am not getting to far with solving this problem and now it has started snowing i was out there till 2am last night up early today and have been trying to fix this all day called ford and did not get too much info! basically I changed the oil and all filters last night, started the truck up and it started up perfectly then after about two minutes it shut down! I cycled it two times before I started it and thought that would have been enough sadly mistaken!! now I for the life of me can not get it started! batteries went dead a few times! now I am on the third charge of the day! PLEASE COMMENT HERE OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT JOHNODDO@ME.COM THANK YOU EVERYONE!
I don't know much about the 6.0, but turn the key to the on position about 5 times before cranking.

There should be a fuel cutoff switch for your truck, If you don't have a owners manual maybe it is located where mine is.

Open front passenger door, look at the side of the dash. If there is a little access door, open it. Should be a switch right there. I think mine is orange or something on top.

Press it down and hold while cranking.

If not there then look down below at the kick panel. Maybe it is there.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
FORD USER

Bounds-Electric is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I always change frame fuel filter first, start let run , drain top fuel filter!
Did you us ford oil filter? If not try one, I had a after market oil filter that for what ever reason would not let truck start!
1997 F-250 XLT Lariat 4x4 (210,500 miles)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
New User

yes all ford fuel and oil filters!

now i am not getting fuel to the top fuel filter!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
with the top filter out, peering into the bowl. If you just turn the ignition to the on position you should hear the pump running. At the same time do you see any fuel entering the bowl?

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Split off and moved to the 6.0L forum. The folks in here should be able to help you a bit better.

Welcome to FTE!

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
New User

Ok I will look there . I will look for the fuel shut off as well! I can't see it near my glove compartment! Also yes I did use Ford parts and it ran fine for the first few minutes then shut off! and I can't get it started back up! neighbor had the same problem and he said he had air in the fuel lines! I guess I have to find the best way to purge the air out of the lines!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM
New User

i also put some diesel into the bowl and the ford tech told me to keep the cap closed because of the return!!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Postmaster

PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Ok I will look there . I will look for the fuel shut off as well! I can't see it near my glove compartment! Also yes I did use Ford parts and it ran fine for the first few minutes then shut off! and I can't get it started back up! neighbor had the same problem and he said he had air in the fuel lines! I guess I have to find the best way to purge the air out of the lines!
You should be able to purge the lines by turning the key to on, wait 30 seconds with the key in the on position and then back to off. Repeat this about a half dozen times in a row and then try to start. If it does not start repeat the purge process and try starting again. Your going to need the batteries good and charged for this...

If the above ends up failing I would go back and check both caps to make sure the o-rings look good and are seated as one of them could be sucking air. The lower is usually the likely culprit...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Postmaster

texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
Just something simple I haven't seen mentioned yet, but have you checked your oil level. Hate to ask, but you just never know. If that's good I would guess that you have a pinched o-ring.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Post Fiend

2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation
3 exact threads. 1 in superduty and 2 in 6.0. How about ficm? could the primary (rail pump) have gone bad. Maybe the o ring on frame filter broke and now it is suckin air? maybe crossthreaded rail filter cap. does he have the rail filter in with breather hole to top? did he maybe knock some wires loose on rail pump? does he have fuel in tank (dumb one but ya never know)? Is fuel gelled (didnt read his location)?
Drained batts 3times is probably gonna spell disaster for ficm from what I read on here. Bismic or cheezit or nccpartsman or 1 of the other 6ltr gods will take care of you I am sure. Lots of research on the 6ltr site may help you more too. search for similar threads in here!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM
New User

pinched O ring was the cause! I put a new O-ring in this morning in the lower fuel filter and the fuel started flowing!! Started rite up!!! Relieved!! thanks for the help everyone! Ya'll ROCK!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM

glad you got it figured out!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Glad you got it fixed. This issue will be at the fore front of my brain next time I change filters!

2004 Late Build CC LB 4x4 6.0L

"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Pinched or damaged O ring on the lower filter has been the major culprit on most filter change no starts. It is very important to lube the O ring with motor oil or vaseline prior to installation. No diesel as it can cause the O ring to swell and bind. The #2 culprit is a/m filters.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2009, 2011, 73, change, changed, f350, filter, fuel, indicator, oil, power, shutoff, start, stroke, switch