1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 ford lifelong project decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:40 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

To give you an idea about the larger engines, the flathead V8 stock setup weighs around 570#'s. That's in the same neighborhood with the 351M/400's. 429/460's are around 750#.

So basically, the straight axle will handle the weight.

Do what will bring you the most joy - after you've let all this stuff set and simmer for a year or so. You can always rod it later........

Old 03-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ultimate decision is what will you do wiht the truck? trailer queen and show...original.. .driver...upgrade it with new components weekend rat eater...hot rod it....

don't throw anything away and you can reverse course if the result doesn't please you

Good luck

Steve

Old 03-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User

Simo- what a nice 'problem'!

Asking opinions from this rabble on the 48-60 nuthouse always has entertainment value, and nuggets of technical value at times. So welcome!

You're asking yourself the right questions, for thou shalt have many hours working the plan.

I'll chip in on the side of the restoration crowd anchored by Earl, who is in the Seventh Dan of Original Lock Washers. 'Fenders, JNiolon and many other rodders craft the dropped & headered Power Effies that will never even carry groceries. There's room for all here

Figure out how often you want to drive it and for what reason. Frequent driving will probably bring you to the ' center"- 12V electricals, electric wipers, spin on oil filters and other modern non stock stuff.

Just to put more fuel on the thread, I venture to say a more 'stockish' restoration gets you back together faster than suspension engine,and brake mod. Some of those guys started their rides in the Nixon Administration.

Drive it Man!

"I was a wreck, can't drive a check!"

Old 03-04-2003, 04:51 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midnite Cruiser,

Excellant post man. Sound logic and side splittin humour. Just the way all posts should be. (Niolon probably won't think that Nixon crack was funny though)

Later,

Old 03-04-2003, 07:31 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Uh, Nixon was already retired when I took my first breath of air, but it IS embarrassing enough to have to admit that I turned the first bolt on mine while good 'ole Ronnie R. was still calling the shots. At this rate, I may here it run before it's MY turn to retire.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Gear Up
Senior User

It would seem to me that half the fun is determining what you are going to do in constructing the ultimate ride. What worked for dad may not be right for you. I got my old ford because it was like the first truck my dad had when I was a kid but it stops there. It's been almost 50 years since that truck was around and I will be putting something together that will keep up with my kids and grand kids. Look at as many rodding magazines as need be and go to all the different shows you can and get an idea as to what is being done. Figure out what turns your crank the best and go for it. From what I've seen of EARL I think George is doing a wonderful job and wish I had the time to get my project going as well. And fenders has been pretty helpful in sorting out problems along the way. stick around and get to know the habbits and quirks of those on the board. Good luck and enjoy the group.

Lynn

Old 03-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Simo
New User

First thing is a huge thanks to everyone who replied with the great advise. I haven't had much time to work this computer, we have had our work cut out for us moving some of the snow thats been blowing up here the last few days. I have been thinking and dreaming about the old f1. I would go with the full restoration job but my original engine was ditched back in the 80's when dad swapped in a six from an old grain truck. I think I will follow my heart and put a killer small block in. Dad has always enjoyed a good creation. I want to keep everything as unmodified as possible incase I do decide to go stock again. I just love the thought of pulling up to a stop light with the stock looking 48 then laying out some rubber for the compact fwd jap junk joker behind me. Original plans were for a 460 with different front end but I think a small block will require less effort to return to stock. I will drive this pickup often as I don't see the point in building trailer queens. The fun for me is more in the building so once there done I use them hard and fix the mistakes. THANKS AGAIN! I will be back with lots more ??????

Old 03-05-2003, 08:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simo,

If you go with a late model engine it won't matter much from a "returning to stock" standpoint whether you use a 460 or 302 because once you get that engine in there I can guarantee you that you will NEVER want to return to stock. Also, if you have dreams of laying rubber on the Jap crap, don't expect much out of a "girly" 302. Go with at least a 351 and preferably the 460 to get the job done...

Old 03-06-2003, 01:15 PM
55forder
Elder User

I resemble that remark.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:15 PM
rebellforever
Senior User

i got a 49 f-1 that im gonna keep stock.
then i got a 51 cab ill drop on a ranger frame and have some fun.
but i think my 49 will be in the garage when it rains and on the trailer on the for long drives.
but im playin go around trying to get a title for the 49.
the frame is half way painted and starting to rust again.
i would say to stock it but i know im alittle late on the decision making.
better late then never i say.
but welome to the forum and i hope you stick around.
follow what you want and get advise from someone cause these guys/gals here are in a big family and is ready and willing to help.

swanny