1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2002 E150 Excessive Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 PM
David_Moore
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E150 Excessive Steering Wheel Play

I drive a 2002 E 150 cargo. Im wondering if anyone knows how to remedy the issue of excessive play in the steering wheel. It has been getting progressively worse, over this last year. Possibly unrelated, but when I drive over bumps I "feel" the bump through the steering wheel. Can anybody help me out?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
This is a question with many, many possibilities David Moore----you don't mention the E150's mileage but if parts are all original chances are one or more parts up there is suspect. Where to begin?

Start by checking each and every part of the steering system beginning with the U Joints found on the shaft connection steering wheel to steering box. Chances are those are fine but a good place to begin anyway. Excessive play while the engine is off (power steering pump not running) would be something to correct ASAP.

Next comes the steering box itself. I believe there is a way to adjust some excessive gear lash out of it but not too much. Too worn and its time for a new one.

Then start checking each of the individual linkage pieces including two tie rod ends as well as the two ball joints in the center and drag links---they could be worn out. Grabbing and shaking each link or ball-like joint will reveal if they need replaced. These parts typically feel very tight so excessive play should be easily detected.

Its highly unlikely the spindle ball joints are worn if just that lose feeling is what you experience so far-----excessive tire wear or impossible to keep the van running straight ahead would be other indications of this though.

Front ends when left unserviced quickly wear out and pose not only discomfort to the driver but quite a saftey issue or driving hazard as well. Never know when something worn will simply break, almost always at highway speeds during rush hour.

If you're not mechanically inclined talk to a few people you trust who know equally trustworthy mechanics and get your van inspected ASAP. Typically big truck spring/frame/alignment shops are your best bet because "small" jobs like vans are some of the least complicated and troublesome things they do. Tire retailers tend to be the worst since they're in the biz to upsell you on anything they can, even those with so called good reputations.

Best of luck---hope its not too serious and/or expensive to fix!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 PM
4WheelDriveVan
Freshman User
Same issue here. 1997 Ford E250 with about 150,000 on the odometer.

Not too bad but enough steering wheel play to notice it. I'll probably tackle the project myself in the next two weeks and start with the tie rod ends and ball joints. I may also replace the radius arm bushings and anti-sway bar bushings.

Will new OEM coil springs and shocks make a noticeable handling difference on a vehicle with 150,000 miles?
Are aftermarket anti sway bars a waste of money or do they really make a noticeable difference? I was looking at some of the products from Hellwig.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
I think the consensus on this board is Hellwig bars, Bilsteins, and Michelin LTX tires make big improvements. Although, anything you do over the tired components will be an improvement.

Besides the front bar, you also might want to install one (Hellwig) for the rear. New OEM Springs are fine, as long as you do not have a 350 and are in a rollover.

There have been a lot of discussions lately on this board about these very same issues. You might find them helpful.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WheelDriveVan
Same issue here. 1997 Ford E250 with about 150,000 on the odometer.

Not too bad but enough steering wheel play to notice it. I'll probably tackle the project myself in the next two weeks and start with the tie rod ends and ball joints. I may also replace the radius arm bushings and anti-sway bar bushings.

Will new OEM coil springs and shocks make a noticeable handling difference on a vehicle with 150,000 miles?
Are aftermarket anti sway bars a waste of money or do they really make a noticeable difference? I was looking at some of the products from Hellwig.

When my front end was rebuilt I had both the I Bean axle and radius arm bushings replaced with new urethane parts---made quite a nice difference. If you're doing this yourself I know of a few tricks making the radius bushings easier---axle pivot bushings are just hard work.

Basically replacing most worn parts will improve the steering when there are enough miles to make that loose feeling noticable. As I said for me the only thing not yet done is the steering box which might happen this upcoming spring. I swear I feel a "click" or something like a loose U joint but can't yet isolate it---and it drives me bonkers!

The Hellwig bars I like because they're beefy therefore more responsive to body roll and I like the engineering thought behind their attachment to the spindles instead of the hole in the I beam. They're not "cheap" but they can be transferred to a new vehicle if you buy the same type etc etc.

Coil spring wise I'm always told if they're not broken then they're fine---which I do NOT believe at all! Over time and use they simply have to lose some function---considering the engine weight and braking forces applied mostly to the front they're bound to "wear out". Looking at the build info on my Vehicle Certification label its easy to see what front springs should be there---I want to upgrade to something suitable for an E350. This might all be done along with the steering box removal.

Front ends certainly are high maintenance---imperative to keep them well lubricated---add fresh grease every other oil change seems to be a recommendation I hear often.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Beatdown Z
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 4WheelDriveVan
I may also replace the radius arm bushings
Mine were shot, and replacing them made a HUGE difference! I thought I had steering shaft issues, turned out to be those bushings.

Originally Posted by JWA
radius arm bushings replaced with new urethane parts---made quite a nice difference.
X2