6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Wrench Symbol... Can't make up it's mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Fordguy95
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrench Symbol... Can't make up it's mind

I have a 2008 SD, and just a little over a week ago I went to start it. It only cranked, so what I did was turned it to off and then waited 30 seconds it started back up? I have no idea why? Then it showed the wrench symbol for the powertrain fault, it didn't go into "limp-home" mode. We took it to dealer to get PCM reflashed they said nothing about it. We turned it back on and no wrench symbol appeared. Ran fine for the next couple days. Then it kept doing the cranking thing, and the wrench symbol keeps showing up, and disappearing ! If you have any idea why it does this... tell me. It would be greatly appreciated. Oh and had a buddy look at it, and I asked him about the DPF, he said my truck didn't have one? It does have a holder for a programer, but i'm so scared to tune it because of all the emissions. If you have solutions to this that would also be appreciated.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Right away I see some big issues for you.

You bought a used truck with a programmer...or maybe not...with missing emissions stuff.

If you bought it from a Dealer it needs to go back and put the way it is suppose to be.

You should still be able to read the codes and there will be one in there. I would probably say it has to do with whatever programming it has and the missing items.

Have you looked under the truck to see if there is a DPF?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:08 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
If I understood correctly, there is a holder for a tuner, but no tuner. If that's the case, when you took it to the dealer and they reflashed it (are you sure they did that) then the truck computer is back to stock. If you have no DPF on the truck (like sennix said, you need to look and see) then the truck computer is not getting the signals it expects from the exhaust sensors. Also, I'm told that it wil eventually go into "CLEANING EXHAUST" and pour a bunch of diesel into your non-DPF pipes. What happens then, I'm not sure. I did that when I was messing with my tuner but I shut the truck down right away and reset the tuner. You don't have that option. I would be very apprehensive about driving it if I were you, until I got it figured out.

So, look under the passenger side of the truck at the exhaust. If you have a DPF you won't miss seeing it. It is big and round and about three feet long. If you have a DPF and if they reflashed your computer at the dealership, then you should be good to go in that respect. If the DPF is gone you owe somebody a good kick in the ***. if it's not there you will have to either get a DPF installed and make sure the dealer returned the truck to stock. Or get a tuner and reprogram the truck to DPF off. YOU CANNOT RUN THE TRUCK IN STOCK PROGRAM WITH NO DPF. Hope this helps.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Fordguy95
New User
Yeah I can tell I probably got screwed where it hurts... But That's the thing. I have NO CLUE WHAT SO EVER as to what the truck has, and has on it! I mean here's the thing. I'm a 16 year kid who has some general knowledge of the truck, but when things get out of hand for me, I turn to this forum for answers. It has really helped. But if I take it to the dealer, all they will say is, "oh it's normal, don't worry about it" Then with my luck it will totally break down, get on a wrecker, and be taken to the dealer to be fixed (and no one likes to see a ford on a wrecker... Right?) Then that's when I take it in the A**! I'm just really lost on the situation... I love the truck to death, but I have been cursing it for the last few days. My Dad even says he might just go over to chevy, and get a different truck. But I know Ford is the way to go. I hope I can figure it out, without spending my entire life's savings!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fordguy95
Yeah I can tell I probably got screwed where it hurts... But That's the thing. I have NO CLUE WHAT SO EVER as to what the truck has, and has on it! I mean here's the thing. I'm a 16 year kid who has some general knowledge of the truck, but when things get out of hand for me, I turn to this forum for answers. It has really helped. But if I take it to the dealer, all they will say is, "oh it's normal, don't worry about it" Then with my luck it will totally break down, get on a wrecker, and be taken to the dealer to be fixed (and no one likes to see a ford on a wrecker... Right?) Then that's when I take it in the A**! I'm just really lost on the situation... I love the truck to death, but I have been cursing it for the last few days. My Dad even says he might just go over to chevy, and get a different truck. But I know Ford is the way to go. I hope I can figure it out, without spending my entire life's savings!
OK, lets see what you have. Go out and look under the truck under the passenger seat. You are looking for a large round 3 ft long exhaust componet. Let us know if it's there. We will be here all day. You have to know the answer to that question. Also, how many miles are on the truck? go here for a picture of a dpf. http://www.google.com/search?q=pictu...w=1050&bih=834 Top left corner.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:04 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

I think you tube is the answer

Originally Posted by Fordguy95
When im in search of some answers i also type things into the Youtube and Google search. If you need to know what the DPF looks like just type it in. Hope this helps, Mark

Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Fordguy95
New User
Alright we figured it out... It does a dpf . It has 69850 miles on it. Dealer said it was a fuel pump that was "intermittently open" going ticket 900, but my friend who specializes in diesels can do it for 700. Oh and one more question... do the diesel fuel additives actually work?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Fordguy95
New User
*going to cost 900

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Great, glad you got it figured out. given the price and complexity of these trucks 700 bucks isn't that bad. plus, now you know what you have. Read around on the forum and you will learn all about the DPF and the "cleaning exhaust filter" cycles. It will make you understand your truck and that's a good thing. These are very complex vehicles.

I use Diesel Kleen with every fill up. I think they help lubricate the moving and very expensive parts of the fuel system. I think most of the regulars on this forum use something. there are a number of products available and as best I can tell they are pretty much alike. The process that refines ULSD removes lubricity (if thats a word) from diesel fuel. The additive replaces it. Various diesels have lower levels of centain, the additive increases it. yeah, it cost a few bucks but I believe in the long run it will pay us back. just my humble opinion.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Fordguy95
New User
Thanks! Yeah I know most things about cleaning exhaust filters. I'll have to try out that additive.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Tech folders in this section are a good read. Glad your are making some headway.

Also the diesel supplement is or should be a mandatory read as well.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Fordguy95
New User
Thanks! Yeah I know most things about cleaning exhaust filters. I'll have to try out that additive.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 PM
bk2010psdcc
New User
I had the electrical fuel pump go out on my 6.4 also, and it was caused by the inertia switch. You might want to check the resistance readings on your inertia switch or just replace it as cheap insurance. It could save you some money down the road.