Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM
New User

jake1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Customer Service

After dealing with the call center I was finally assigned an escallated customer service rep. Mark Johnson is his name and he has been a stand up guy and has been awsome with communication. Yet Mark has not been able to help Ford is sticking to their guns.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1979 View Post
#2 Was down to 150psi

#8 Was down to 60psi

I wish I could upload pics of the engine and my truck!

This whole thing has been going on for 2 months now and the dealer and Ford wants me to pay for the replacement engine.

Everyones support has givin me the energy to fight another day on this thing. I've got a voicemail from the service manager of the dealer admitting that his guy put 10,000 on my oil change interval sticker. His comment to that problem was "sorry for the inconvenience".

Update: Buy the way it looks like you might be the FNG if you don't think you could melt down the pistons in your Truck!
To post pics, load them to photo bucket.com, them link to them from here. Fte sets 25 posts before you can do anything useful here.

Would like to see the pics

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Subscribing to see the pics.

The loud bang could have been anything, especially when shifting into 4wd while moving.

The dealer story you've told us makes it sound like you had a runaway engine (rpm's at redline when foot off the go pedal) but you're saying that didn't happen. If the engine didn't run away, then nothing being sucked up by the intake from the CAC or CCV is going to melt any pistons.

Follow Adrain's suggestions of who to talk to next or what to say to the service center.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers<a href=http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic401102_1.gif target=_blank>http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/si...ic401102_1.gif </a>
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've got run around by all Ford levels when dealer drop the air filter clamp into my turbo passages. Fortunately I was able to fix turbo myself with low cost.
The run away story reminds me the Detroit 8V71 I do have in my motorhome. The diesel engine is 2-cycle but has similar design with injectors under the valve covers.
The situation never happened to me, but those Detroits are know for running away, so I do have a switch on dashboard with a cover like military missile do have on their switches. The switch releases a big flapper that completely close the intake shutting the engine off till you go back there (it is diesel pusher) and reset the flap manualy.
Maybe Ford should follow the old design?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Junior User

SandR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just wondering - if you change the oil and filters every 5k miles, is it possible to 'make' enough oil to cause engine failure?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1979 View Post
I didn't start running away for at least a mile (pretty much when I got to a place where I could pull over).
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
The dealer story you've told us makes it sound like you had a runaway engine (rpm's at redline when foot off the go pedal) but you're saying that didn't happen.
Huh? I think he is saying it did runaway.

The runaway may have been in progress already, but you didn't really hear it until you unloaded the engine.

Do you know if the crankcase was flooded? Did you actually check the oil level before turning it over to Ford? How long since the last time you checked the oil level? I believe the owners manual instructs you to check oil level each time you refuel. I don't think anyone could reasonably blame you if you didn't do that, but the instruction is there.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Without knowing the OP's driving habits it's difficult to say which was technically the correct schedule.

I agree with Cheezit, and I always changed my 6.4L oil at 5,000 miles regardless. But you should NOT have to be a member of FTE and read these threads to know that; what's said in the diesel supplement should be sufficient.

So if your driving truly wasn't severe service then I believe Ford should cover it.

This is not to say that I think they WILL cover it, as we've heard how Ford can blame the owner for lack of maintenance.

All you can do is protect yourself. Follow the severe service schedule, check your oil regularly, and prove that you took every reasonable precaution in the maintenance of the truck.

Sorry to hear about your luck, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Senior User

Machinator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
So, if I understand this correctly, even if I use the truck for routine purposes, no significant towing, simply driving on vacations with a motorcycle in the back, I must use the "Severe" schedule and Ford will not accept a warranty issue if I have used the 10,000 mile schedule for oil changes? What would constitute "Normal" usage and qualify for this extended schedule? Seems to me that this vehicle will "make oil" regardless of driving practices and there should be no option other than the "Severe" option for servicing. I am referring to an F250 SD. Thanks.

Get the dpf delete the regen cycle is what makes the extra oil.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior User

KIOTI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinator View Post
Get the dpf delete the regen cycle is what makes the extra oil.

Leaking injector o-rings will also "make oil" My truck had the injectors changed in it as it was making oil. It does not make oil anymore.
I would have a oil analysis done.
2003 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3
2004 F650 Ext Cab Rollback 5.9 Cummins
2008 F450 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM
New User

jake1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leaky o-rings

They have already torn down the engine. should I request they send the injectors out for testing?

Also how much fuel do think could get past the rings when the compression is @ 60psi & 150psi on two differants cylinders?

The truck was driven for approx 65miles by myself and the dealership before the engineer looked at it. The dipstick was about 2 quarts overfull.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Posting Guru

Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.
I guess a 10k oil change is one thing.. but they should require you to check the dipstick
for proper level at a closer duration
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
threads merged...
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Postmaster

orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Most people don't check the oil. I do in all my vehicles once a week.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
threads merged...
Thanks, I think that will help alot.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Even if you check the oil daily. As I understand it, because of the wire dipstick it's not always obvious that you're making oil, unless you know about the short stick method and know what you're looking for. And none of that is described in the Owner's Manual.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM