Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I hope this is just at the dealer level, and that the Ford engineer can help with his plight.

However, "making oil" refers to fuel contamination that is common to the 6.4. Even if the oil change interval is 10k, checking the oil level is definitely not. Checking the oil level is important and required by the owners manual, and noticing that it is overfilled is reason to visit the dealer. As someone noted, that's why we prefer to underfill on the stick so that we can easily determine if an overfill happens. It's not so common on my 6.0, but it is common on the 6.4.

The charge system refers to the turbo induction system. Not electrical. I suppose that the oil level could be high enough that the drains are blocked, and the crankcase vent could suck oil into the intake. That this would happen under a sudden acceleration makes some sense as well.

I think this one could go either way, easily.
I will give you that much, and was even with the OP until we got to the part about melting.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Yah, I have no idea what "melted down" means. I'm assuming he is exaggerating out of frustration, and giving the benefit of doubt to an FNG.

On edit: I just noticed the part about "uncontrolled fuel source". That means a run-away diesel, and can obviously melt pistons.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
runaway because of diesel in the oil, way too much and then there is nothing that can be done.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
that is exactly what can happen.

A runaway.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The way I read it, the engine made oil until so much was in the crank case that it was ingested through the intake. Since a diesel is just a huge air pump with no throttle plate the extra fuel in the air intake made it a run away and it simply reved until it blew up. / / I'd say there is fault with both parties, Ford is crazy thinking the engine can go 10K between changes and the owner should be checking the oil level at least monthly if not weekly. I think it would be fair to split the cost of a new engine but that's just me. / / I know it is the first thing I caught on our 6.4L when we bought it was the "extra" oil so I had to come here to find out why it was overfull. /// On a side note I am getting pissed that I can't make separate paragraphs in these posts for some reason.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
New User

jake1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
#2 & #8 were "MELTED"

#2 Was down to 150psi

#8 Was down to 60psi

I wish I could upload pics of the engine and my truck!

This whole thing has been going on for 2 months now and the dealer and Ford wants me to pay for the replacement engine.

Everyones support has givin me the energy to fight another day on this thing. I've got a voicemail from the service manager of the dealer admitting that his guy put 10,000 on my oil change interval sticker. His comment to that problem was "sorry for the inconvenience".

Update: Buy the way it looks like you might be the FNG if you don't think you could melt down the pistons in your Truck!

Last edited by jake1979; 12-09-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: FNG rebutal
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM

did you speak with Ford cust service about the issue?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
its all coverd in your owners guide, it sounds like you opted for the "normal use" scedule vs the one you shold have been on. your not the first to lose an enigne this way either. Ford wont pay the claim. It has little to do with the dealership. we no longer get to make a decision to warranty an engine or not.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM

The way the top ring on the piston is designed...to be loose and then expand with heat and pressure when you build boost, also lends to letting fuel get by and into the crankcase during a regen....unless you are running a hot motor and some rpms as well.

That is the reason for the short change in oil intervals.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1979 View Post
Update: Buy the way it looks like you might be the FNG if you don't think you could melt down the pistons in your Truck!
I meant no disrespect by using that term. You are new here at FTE, and that is a commonly used figure of speech.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

You have not specifically stated that you had a run-away engine. All you said is that it ran like "S". So, was it a run-away?

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Posting Guru

capn kirk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
in all honesty the motor is only at 30k miles. Given during break-in oil change can be very important, but really a modern diesel should not burn up after 30k miles even if its only had 1 or 2 oil changes...
3.73 limited slip frnt/rear, 35x12.50 BFG All-Terrain, 4" Skyjacker, 3" body lift, hedman headers 3" single-back turndown before rear axle, K&N Air Filter,rebuilt trans, deep trans pan, Warn manual hubs
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM
New User

jake1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for the inconvenience is right.

I didn't start running away for at least a mile (pretty much when I got to a place where I could pull over).

Does anyone think the loud bang that I heard could of been somthing else other than the uncontrolled fuel?

I have been in contact with Ford and after going back and forth with them I am waiting for a call back from the local field service engineer that made the final call on my truck. I'm hoping to explain the circumstances a little further to see what he thinks because I think the F-ing dealer probably just told him I was drive down the freeway and the engine blew.

I'm going to be putting a you tube post together with all the pics and audio I have so far. As frustrating this whole this has been it has been comical listening to the dealer and Ford point the finger and give me the run around.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Jake, have you spoken to the Customer Service Center?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Freshman User

mailman01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
its all coverd in your owners guide, it sounds like you opted for the "normal use" scedule vs the one you shold have been on. your not the first to lose an enigne this way either. Ford wont pay the claim. It has little to do with the dealership. we no longer get to make a decision to warranty an engine or not.
So, if I understand this correctly, even if I use the truck for routine purposes, no significant towing, simply driving on vacations with a motorcycle in the back, I must use the "Severe" schedule and Ford will not accept a warranty issue if I have used the 10,000 mile schedule for oil changes? What would constitute "Normal" usage and qualify for this extended schedule? Seems to me that this vehicle will "make oil" regardless of driving practices and there should be no option other than the "Severe" option for servicing. I am referring to an F250 SD. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Severe duty is the way to go. I even go byond that with my turck.
the owners guid give some detail as to what Severe duty is.
basicly if you have a fleet truck your at 200 hours/5k for oil changes.
also fuel filters are evry 400 hours or 10k
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 PM