1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission flush with extended protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission flush with extended protection

I paid the $200 to have the flush and now i have an extended coverage on my tranny.
As long as i have it flushed every 30k from now on using BG products they will pay $2000.00 toward any transmission failure i will have. I would not spend the money if it was just a commuter truck, however plowing takes a toll on tranny's and now i have extended coverage.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
OK, I assume you used BG Universal Synthetic ATF in the flush. The BG web site says:

BG Universal Synthetic ATF is the superior choice to use in all passenger and commercial automatic transmissions. It meets or exceeds the performance criteria of many automatic transmission fluids including Mercedes Benz ATF, BMW, Ford Mercon® V, Mopar ATF+4™, Nissan Matic J/K, Allison C-4, Toyota Type T-IV and Toyota WS. It provides excellent protection of gears and offers superior thermal stability, anti-wear protection, outstanding oxidative stability, foam resistance and corrosion control, exceptional low temperature fluidity, and excellent shear stability to ensure a long service life.

It does not say it meets or exceeds the performance criteria for Mercon SP or Mercon LV, which is what your transmission (a 5R110W) requires.

So, good luck with that.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford warranty

I think that you just voided your Ford warranty. Good luck with the BG warranty.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
First off I would like to say I know the guy who owns this shop very well and have used him for 13 years and my wifes bmw as well goes there. This is not a speedy oil change place who forgets to put oil in or adds oil to the radiator. If something was to happen because of what he did he be better off to cover the cost himself then to loose us as customers. So i doubt he would screw up.

What they did was flushed the system using BG product flush machine and the quick clean cleaner. Then replaced my fluid with mercon sp and ADDED Bg transmission fluid additive. This allows me to maintain my ford warranty AND qualify for the BG product coverage. They have a tsb stating transmission fluid additive will not void any factory warranty or they will cover all costs.
There is no question that i am a doubter and i was leary about trying this product but what the hay all they do is make fluid/oil. Go to napa and ask which oil is the best...they tell me it all comes from the same place just put in different bottles with different labels.
My ford coverage is 36k or 3 years, chances are good my tranny is not going to fail in this time frame so why not do something to TRY and cover my **** down the road. If my tranny was to fail in this 36k or 3 year time frame: 1) I would not replace a bad tranny with the same tranny that failed the first time. 2) I would have to bring it to a tranny shop to have it back asap, not 1-2 weeks like the dealer would take to fix it. I would loose more than the cost of the transmission in income having my truck sit at the dealer while they twiddle their thumbs attempting to replace my tranny.
I'm planning on using all BG fluids down the road and take my chances, nothing to loose, but a chance to gain.

FYI - my receipt states Mercon SP fluid added.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Ford recommends transmission fluid change @ 30k. not just drop the pan and add new fluid. Shall we take a survey to see how many folks actually do that? According to my Ford service rep. who i just called "if your transmission fails @ 30,500 and you did not perform the proper fluid changes with legitimate records your warranty is void"

Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
DavidB
Elder User
That's different

Your explaination is VERY different from your original post. As long as your use the proper fluid and follow your owner's manual for recommended change intervals, you should be OK. BTW a very small percentage of Super Duty transmissions, that are properly serviced, fail under normal use in less than 200,000 miles.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Went to dealer today to have my exhaust manifold replaced and there on the service desk was all the information about BG fluids. They said Ford uses and recommends all BG fluids. Good news for me as I was slightly concerned what Ford would have said having this done before my warranty was up.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
What they did was flushed the system using BG product flush machine and the quick clean cleaner. Then replaced my fluid with mercon sp and ADDED Bg transmission fluid additive. This allows me to maintain my ford warranty AND qualify for the BG product coverage. They have a tsb stating transmission fluid additive will not void any factory warranty or they will cover all costs.

FYI - my receipt states Mercon SP fluid added.
I'm not familiar w/ BG products - is this a national brand w/ dealer shops? The $200 service is fairly reasonable particularly w/ the warranty. I think it's $150 from Ford. That said, are you sure the machine is compatiable? I think the torqshifts need a special heated machine to do a proper flush - supposedly a dealer only item but I don't know.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by maverick22
I'm not familiar w/ BG products - is this a national brand w/ dealer shops? The $200 service is fairly reasonable particularly w/ the warranty. I think it's $150 from Ford. That said, are you sure the machine is compatiable? I think the torqshifts need a special heated machine to do a proper flush - supposedly a dealer only item but I don't know.
I had it done at a local shop.

Today i was at the dealer and they (ford) recommend and use BG fluids. The flush machine is made by BG. Ford my local shop use the same flush machine.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I assume everything will be fine with your transmission. So I am not trying to scare you.

However, you have been duped by B&G marketing.

Ford (FMC) does not recommend a B&G transmission service. Ford (FMC) does not recommend an EGR cleaning service. Ford (FMC) does not recommend any of the gillion other B&G whiz bang things they sell. FMC has their own solution (tools/fluids) for any recommended service.

Your Ford dealer has been sold B&G equipment. Your Ford dealer can recommend any damn thing they want. That does not mean FMC recommends it.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
So then what? If the vehicle fails while using dealer endorsed equipment or service who eats the cost? Bottom line is the sign above the stealership says Ford so if the FMC doesnt want dealerships doing that and doesn't condone it then why havent they stepped in and stopped it?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Dealer will leave you hanging. It will be up to you to prove their misuse of a product caused your failure. Good luck with that.

Ford dealers are independent businesses.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
*******s! LOL

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by F250CCowner
So then what? If the vehicle fails while using dealer endorsed equipment or service who eats the cost? Bottom line is the sign above the stealership says Ford so if the FMC doesnt want dealerships doing that and doesn't condone it then why havent they stepped in and stopped it?
Either you will eat the cost or the dealer will. Ford won't.

Ford hasn't stepped in and stopped this because Ford dealers are franchises. Ford can't dictate what they can and can't do by law. They have tried in the past and lost in court.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Either you will eat the cost or the dealer will. Ford won't.

Ford hasn't stepped in and stopped this because Ford dealers are franchises. Ford can't dictate what they can and can't do by law. They have tried in the past and lost in court.
Mark - Thanks for all your responses - what is your gut feeling about this issue?? My local shop used the correct fluid with BG additive. Now BG states they will cover up to $2000. for tranny failure. So is the small additive THAT BAD for our tranny's to not use it and loose the potential $2k? Better than nothing right?

So my question for you - is the additive harmful enough for our tranny's that i/we should not use it?

Quick Reply: Transmission flush with extended protection