1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Headliner Removal

Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Headliner Removal

I would like to get my headliner re-upholstered, and I was wondering what kind of job is it to remove it? Is it only held on by surrounding plastic interior trim or is it glued to the roof somehow? Is it just a piece of formed cardboard covered in upholstery?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Harfend
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct in stating that the headliner is a piece of cardboard with an upholstery cover. I repaired mine in about an hour. Very easy and an awesome improvement! I even think the truck smells better in the cab!

Removal is straight forward. I started by removing the screwed on trim pieces above the doors first, the trim above the windshield and rear window is metal and has clips that hold the trim in receiving pockets on the roof. Removal was easiest by using a putty knife and my fingers to pry out the clips. I think I also loosened the pillar trim pieces but did not have to remove them. The visors came off with the screws removed. The headliner just falls down and removal is easy, but you should be careful not to crack or break the board!

Remove the old headliner by tearing off the fabric, the old foam needs to be scraped off. Take your time and experiment using different tools to scrap off the old foam. I think I may have even used some sand paper to clean off the old foam and glue. It must be pretty clean for the new stuff to stick!

Cut your new material a bit bigger than the size of your board and use spray on adhesive according to the directions on the can. Some types of spray adhesive recommend spraying both sides of the material while others need to spray only side. That is what I used because I was afraid the glue would soak through. I sprayed the board and then I positioned the new fabric on the board and used my wife's pastry rolling pin to press out any air bubbles. (No, I did'nt tell her!)

After the new material dries you can trim it to the edge of the board because it is covered by the trim. Reinstall in your truck and enjoy the new look!

Good Luck!
HARFEND

Old 12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harfend
You are correct in stating that the headliner is a piece of cardboard with an upholstery cover. I repaired mine in about an hour. Very easy and an awesome improvement! I even think the truck smells better in the cab!

Removal is straight forward. I started by removing the screwed on trim pieces above the doors first, the trim above the windshield and rear window is metal and has clips that hold the trim in receiving pockets on the roof. Removal was easiest by using a putty knife and my fingers to pry out the clips. I think I also loosened the pillar trim pieces but did not have to remove them. The visors came off with the screws removed. The headliner just falls down and removal is easy, but you should be careful not to crack or break the board!

Remove the old headliner by tearing off the fabric, the old foam needs to be scraped off. Take your time and experiment using different tools to scrap off the old foam. I think I may have even used some sand paper to clean off the old foam and glue. It must be pretty clean for the new stuff to stick!

Cut your new material a bit bigger than the size of your board and use spray on adhesive according to the directions on the can. Some types of spray adhesive recommend spraying both sides of the material while others need to spray only side. That is what I used because I was afraid the glue would soak through. I sprayed the board and then I positioned the new fabric on the board and used my wife's pastry rolling pin to press out any air bubbles. (No, I did'nt tell her!)

After the new material dries you can trim it to the edge of the board because it is covered by the trim. Reinstall in your truck and enjoy the new look!

Good Luck!
HARFEND
Yup. I've seen several done the same way with felt purchased at JoAnne Fabrics. I don't have a headliner in the truck, but when I do the car, this is how I'll do it. 3M Super 77 adhesive is the one I've seen used.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice write up and description of the process Harfend. You have inspired me to try it on
my truck. Thanks for the information.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Has anyone found rust in their roof once the liner was out?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Superred2
Senior User
I did the one in my 86 3 weekends ago and Harfend is on the money. I removed the front, rear, and side trims by pulling on them and they will pop out. I did remove the A pillar covers and the B pillar covers as well just to paint everything before I put them back so they looked nice and new.

I used a small wire brush to remove the old padding and glue and just didn't press too hard so as not to dent or tear the cardboard. I purchased the spray adhesive from Autozone and the material from Walmart. Looks pretty good!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM
85_Blue
Senior User
Harfend... your my hero, using your girl's rolling pin!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, that's me to! Great write-up!

I'll need to remove my headliner also in order to pop out a small dent in the roof. Might as well redo the headliner while I'm at it.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
Is your truck a single cab or extended cab? Because if its an extended cab the only way you will get it out of your truck is if you remove either the windshield or the back window.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redneck1465
Is your truck a single cab or extended cab? Because if its an extended cab the only way you will get it out of your truck is if you remove either the windshield or the back window.
I might as well do a beer window install while Im at it then right.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
BikeMaker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redneck1465
I was able to remove and install mine without pulling any windows, and mines a crew cab. Not saying it was easy, but it was possible.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Anafiel
I'll need to remove my headliner also in order to pop out a small dent in the roof.
The roof is double-walled, I'll suggest getting one of those suction cup
dent pullers.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
mcwbyu82
New User
Thanks for the tips everyone. Just pulled out my sagging headliner. Thought the dome light is very interesting how two of the mounting screws complete the circuit