Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior User

staysbroken is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering leak... sensor on high pressure line?

I think I've tracked my power steering leak to some type of sensor on the pressure line, close to where it connects to the steering box: Click the image to open in full size.
I assume this is a pressure sensor? I got no CEL or anything like that when the fluid had leaked down to the level that the pump started whining pretty badly though. As far as I can tell by looking at pictures, the parts store replacement pressure lines do not have this sensor, or any provision to connect a sensor to it: Advance Auto Parts: Power Steering Pressure Hose by Powercraft - Part 71878

Anyone run into this issue before? I may just put a replacement line on there and leave the sensor plug hanging and see what happens...

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The sensor is a pressure monitor that will kick up the idle speed when turning sharply at idle, like parking. It is only on 2.3L, as the V-6's have enough torque at idle to run the p/s pump. If the sensor is leaking, but not the line itself, try putting a plug in it to see if the leak goes away. You might have to kick the throttle a little when parking or turning sharply while at idle.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Try the Ford OEM version. yeah it cost more but you know it's going to work or you'll be refunded and re-parted.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior User

Would either of you happen to know if the OEM hose and the sensor are one piece (for $60, I would hope so...), or if the sensor is a separate unit that attaches like an oil pressure sender?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my 1990 Bronco the fitting was on the hose but I had to screw the sensor back in.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The sensor can be purchased separately. Check LMC truck. You may want to call them to see if the hose for your truck has the connector for the sensor. I am assuming you have the 2.3 L engine and your truck is somewhere in the 1990 to 1997 range.

It would help if you included info such as year, engine and related information in your signature.

Previous vehicle: 1991 XLT, 2.3 SOHC (Lima), M5OD, 7.5 axle 3.45 gears. Donated to a charity.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Posting Guru

Danger_Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
that pressure switch is also one of the parameters for the air conditioner, along with
the wide open throttle cutout.
if that detects too much pressure the ecu will turn off the a/c compressor momentarily.
this will reduce load on the engine so that it does not stall,, i.e. parking lots.
at least thats what the service manual says.
sure would be alot nicer if that switch was actually a nanny that tells you if you run out of fluid so that you do not fry your power steering system.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior User

It's a '97 2.3, as is indicated in my signature.

I picked up the parts store replacement hose for about $20. Evidently it does have a threaded hole for the sensor to be screwed in, but it came with a little plug for applications that don't use the sensor. I think it may even be the sensor itself that's leaking, and not the hose, but I haven't yet been able to get it off. Nor have I been able to unhook the old hose from the steering box.

I've been trying to first unhook what I assume to be a return line from the steering box in hopes that doing so will make it easier to get a wrench on the pressure line. I can't seem to put enough torque on the return line wedged down between the p/s pump and wheel well though, so I think I'll try and find a longer set of box end wrenches and try again. I can see the fitting by looking above the tire through the wheel well, but the brake line is in the way of getting a wrench in there. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior User

Well, I got a set of crow's foot wrenches, and still no luck getting the hose off the steering box. Something is preventing the wrench from grabbing the whole width of the fitting, and it just slips off. I bet it would be a lot easier if I pulled off the p/s pump itself first to get better access, but that looks to be a whole project in and of itself, including pulling off the pulley. Until I find the motivation to tackle that, I'll just live with it leaking. Sorry, Al Gore
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM