1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks very much for this thread. I have had a consistent highway shudder/clunk in that 80kmph range in the last year or so. Thought maybe the ujoints or ubolts for leaf springs were loose and causing issues. Then I read this thread. Replaced the plug wires on my 4.2 v6 with 335k km and the problem is gone. Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
66,311 hits on this thread's subject.
It is a very common issue not well understood even by most shops.
Good luck.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
It is a very common issue not well understood even by most shops.
I wish I knew it was such an easy fix. I knew that I needed to do a tune up anyway, but if I would have known that 3 coils were weak I would have done that after the first time the shuddering started instead of thinking that my transmission is going out. live and learn I guess.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Dirt
I wish I knew it was such an easy fix. I knew that I needed to do a tune up anyway, but if I would have known that 3 coils were weak I would have done that after the first time the shuddering started instead of thinking that my transmission is going out. live and learn I guess.
Don't feel bad Kevin, I was in the same boat. Luckily I had a couple of ex-Ford techs working on my truck, and they suggested because of the trucks age and unknown maintenance, to just replace all the COP's. I know NOW since reading more about how Bluegrass explained everything, what was going on. I most likely did NOT need a full set, but purchased them anyway. This is my sons truck, and like his two sisters before him, in my house you only get ONE mom and dad purchased car. The next one is on YOUR dime, so when I have purchased kids vehicles, they go through a complete tune up, fluid change, a/c charging to hopefully make sure they last 3 to 5 years after high school. The next set of COP's, if needed, will be on his dime.........

P.S. I want to personally thank Bluegrass 7 for his input. If you understand the workings of an engine, his breakdowns are spot on with what is happening to cause the situation. Thanks!!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by F150Dad
Don't feel bad Kevin, I was in the same boat. Luckily I had a couple of ex-Ford techs working on my truck, and they suggested because of the trucks age and unknown maintenance, to just replace all the COP's. I know NOW since reading more about how Bluegrass explained everything, what was going on. I most likely did NOT need a full set, but purchased them anyway. This is my sons truck, and like his two sisters before him, in my house you only get ONE mom and dad purchased car. The next one is on YOUR dime, so when I have purchased kids vehicles, they go through a complete tune up, fluid change, a/c charging to hopefully make sure they last 3 to 5 years after high school. The next set of COP's, if needed, will be on his dime....
yeah, you were lucky that you had ford techs, but it is pretty sorry that they made you replace all of the coils instead of just the ones that it really needed.

my parents only bought me ONE vehicle to drive, now I have to pay for all the gas/repairs by myself.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 PM
pickleball73
New User
A little update on my V10 motor home I bought the MH and drove it 150 miles back home, Bucking and Jumping and Studdering all the time. Over the course of the next couple of weeks I took two short trips to get other maint. Both trips were about 25 miles and a week apart. Still lotsa BJ&S.
Made appt with repair shop and drove 50 miles last week. Started to BJ&S right away, but as soon as I got a couple of miles down the road it SMOOTHED OUT AND RAN PERFECTLY for the rest of the trip.
The tech drove it and COULD NOT TO GET IT TO BJ&S any more…
He looked at it with the scanner for about half hour and determined that COP 2 & 9 were bad.
I opted for a regular oil change service along with fuel filter, spark plugs, and a B&G engine cleaning system.
Drove it back home yesterday and everything is OK and I’m out $1400 bux.
Thanks again to Bluegrass and others who opined here. Feels like home already…/gene

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pickleball73
A little update on my V10 motor home I bought the MH and drove it 150 miles back home, Bucking and Jumping and Studdering all the time. Over the course of the next couple of weeks I took two short trips to get other maint. Both trips were about 25 miles and a week apart. Still lotsa BJ&S.
Made appt with repair shop and drove 50 miles last week. Started to BJ&S right away, but as soon as I got a couple of miles down the road it SMOOTHED OUT AND RAN PERFECTLY for the rest of the trip.
The tech drove it and COULD NOT TO GET IT TO BJ&S any more…
He looked at it with the scanner for about half hour and determined that COP 2 & 9 were bad.
I opted for a regular oil change service along with fuel filter, spark plugs, and a B&G engine cleaning system.
Drove it back home yesterday and everything is OK and I’m out $1400 bux.
Thanks again to Bluegrass and others who opined here. Feels like home already…/gene
awesome! hope all goes well

Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM
jhunter564
New User
Originally Posted by Shane Cummings
Hello all. Here's a little information about my truck. It's a 2000 F-150. Two wheel drive. 5.2 Liter V8. About 133,000 miles on it currently.

Here is the problem I have been having with it recently. Right around 45-50 mph, my truck starts to jerk or studder as I attempt to accelerate gently. It has not been too bad, but it has been prevalent for the past few months. Yesterday, after an 8 hour drive on highways, when I got back onto a regular road, the truck would jerk/studder around 45 mph and it was so bad that I could not drive past 45 mph.

It does not always happen when I drive, but now it is occurring more frequently. I want to bring it into the shop, but want to hear what you guys have to say about this problem first. Thanks!

Same problem for me. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the torque converter which they changed out. Firtunately I had the ext warranty or it would have cost $1,700. It fixed it for a year or so but now I am noticing a slight return of the shudder..

We'll see how visit #2 goes..

Old 10-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Your studder is very easy to find.
It's a faulty coil.
Ask them to use a Scanner and look at the misfire monitors for each cylinder.
It's found in mode 6, test 53.
Step through to each cylinder and look at the counts.
The one with the high counts has a faulty coil.
It was never a converter issue.
Good luck.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
snowbird qc
New User
Big thank's to Bluegrass7 and other posters, my 2004 freestar 4.2l was doing exactly that and when you search the interweb you only find horror stories about transmission problems,

what is described as jerking/studdering is exctly what's happening to my freestar and what is explained to solve it is such a releif, i was ready to give up on that van, trans is worth as much as the van...thank-you

I will make check on coil packs tomorrow and let you know the results

Old 12-24-2014, 02:17 PM
snowbird qc
New User
As promised here is a follow up on my van's problem.

I had the jerking like many experimented, in the mean time i also sporadically had bearing noise coming from the belt area. changed the alternator, bearings were worn but noise was still coming time to time, since heating was no performing very well i planned to change water pump .

and while doing research on noise i found that.

It's exactly my noise. Changed the cam synchronizer and BINGO. No more jerking and misfires, did not change any coil packs or wires (they are oldand due) , plugs are from ford and have about 20k miles.

Did a test drive on hyghway on rainy conditions and all is well.

Hope this can help.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Remember, for those reading this old and long thread, the 97 to 03 model years do not have cam synchronizers on the 4.2, 4.6 or 5.4 motors within the year range.
Good luck.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:56 PM
snowbird qc
New User
sorry about my posts misplacement . this forum is so big and i have been led here only by the symptoms that matched.

If a moderator could place it in a better more appropriate location, please let me know and i will post there in the future.

thank's Bluegrass7

Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
navyguy88
New User
I have an 03 f150 4.6l with p0302 code. I have replace plug swapped cop new plug boot and new injector. Any other ideas that might cause this problem.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 PM
bordenc
New User
I have a question. We have changed the number one coil and spark plug because my scanner said cylinder one misfire. It was good for one day with the check engine light off. Still slight shaky. But it is back on and blinking when we are driving and it really is not well when we are around the 55 mph mark. Do you have an idea on what is happening. I have a 97 ford expedition. 4x4
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
You may never get a code from the issue.
The problem is one or more faulty coils that are "not" hard faults so will not set a code you can see with a reader or see a light from.
Only other way is to use a good mid level "Scanner" to trap the fault or have the coils stress tested by a dealer to find any with low output.

Fyi to all: If you have any tendency to shudder under light loads at anythime, there is a high likleyhood of a low output coil.
Reason: Under low speed and light throttle on and off, the EGR system operation causes very lean air/fuel ratios that requires higher coil voltage to fire.
If one coil has low output, that cylinder will missfire until a shiftdown, higher throttle or any action causes the air/fuel ratio to become richer allowing the coil to fire again.
Then the shudder goes away until the next time.
This temporary condition does not set a code.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph