Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Posting Guru

BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks very much for this thread. I have had a consistent highway shudder/clunk in that 80kmph range in the last year or so. Thought maybe the ujoints or ubolts for leaf springs were loose and causing issues. Then I read this thread. Replaced the plug wires on my 4.2 v6 with 335k km and the problem is gone. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
66,311 hits on this thread's subject.
It is a very common issue not well understood even by most shops.
Good luck.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

Dr. Dirt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 View Post
It is a very common issue not well understood even by most shops.
I wish I knew it was such an easy fix. I knew that I needed to do a tune up anyway, but if I would have known that 3 coils were weak I would have done that after the first time the shuddering started instead of thinking that my transmission is going out. live and learn I guess.

2002 F-150 Lariat Supercrew FX4, 5.4L 2v, 3.55 LS, BFG All-Terrains, MagnaFlow muffler with duals, all LED lights, Pioneer headunit, Kicker sub and amp

"You got to drive that Ford like it's a stallion."-Jack Ingram
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Freshman User

F150Dad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dirt View Post
I wish I knew it was such an easy fix. I knew that I needed to do a tune up anyway, but if I would have known that 3 coils were weak I would have done that after the first time the shuddering started instead of thinking that my transmission is going out. live and learn I guess.
Don't feel bad Kevin, I was in the same boat. Luckily I had a couple of ex-Ford techs working on my truck, and they suggested because of the trucks age and unknown maintenance, to just replace all the COP's. I know NOW since reading more about how Bluegrass explained everything, what was going on. I most likely did NOT need a full set, but purchased them anyway. This is my sons truck, and like his two sisters before him, in my house you only get ONE mom and dad purchased car. The next one is on YOUR dime, so when I have purchased kids vehicles, they go through a complete tune up, fluid change, a/c charging to hopefully make sure they last 3 to 5 years after high school. The next set of COP's, if needed, will be on his dime.........

P.S. I want to personally thank Bluegrass 7 for his input. If you understand the workings of an engine, his breakdowns are spot on with what is happening to cause the situation. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150Dad View Post
Don't feel bad Kevin, I was in the same boat. Luckily I had a couple of ex-Ford techs working on my truck, and they suggested because of the trucks age and unknown maintenance, to just replace all the COP's. I know NOW since reading more about how Bluegrass explained everything, what was going on. I most likely did NOT need a full set, but purchased them anyway. This is my sons truck, and like his two sisters before him, in my house you only get ONE mom and dad purchased car. The next one is on YOUR dime, so when I have purchased kids vehicles, they go through a complete tune up, fluid change, a/c charging to hopefully make sure they last 3 to 5 years after high school. The next set of COP's, if needed, will be on his dime....
yeah, you were lucky that you had ford techs, but it is pretty sorry that they made you replace all of the coils instead of just the ones that it really needed.

my parents only bought me ONE vehicle to drive, now I have to pay for all the gas/repairs by myself.

2002 F-150 Lariat Supercrew FX4, 5.4L 2v, 3.55 LS, BFG All-Terrains, MagnaFlow muffler with duals, all LED lights, Pioneer headunit, Kicker sub and amp

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 PM
New User

pickleball73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A little update on my V10 motor home I bought the MH and drove it 150 miles back home, Bucking and Jumping and Studdering all the time. Over the course of the next couple of weeks I took two short trips to get other maint. Both trips were about 25 miles and a week apart. Still lotsa BJ&S.
Made appt with repair shop and drove 50 miles last week. Started to BJ&S right away, but as soon as I got a couple of miles down the road it SMOOTHED OUT AND RAN PERFECTLY for the rest of the trip.
The tech drove it and COULD NOT TO GET IT TO BJ&S any more…
He looked at it with the scanner for about half hour and determined that COP 2 & 9 were bad.
I opted for a regular oil change service along with fuel filter, spark plugs, and a B&G engine cleaning system.
Drove it back home yesterday and everything is OK and I’m out $1400 bux.
Thanks again to Bluegrass and others who opined here. Feels like home already…/gene
Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleball73 View Post
A little update on my V10 motor home I bought the MH and drove it 150 miles back home, Bucking and Jumping and Studdering all the time. Over the course of the next couple of weeks I took two short trips to get other maint. Both trips were about 25 miles and a week apart. Still lotsa BJ&S.
Made appt with repair shop and drove 50 miles last week. Started to BJ&S right away, but as soon as I got a couple of miles down the road it SMOOTHED OUT AND RAN PERFECTLY for the rest of the trip.
The tech drove it and COULD NOT TO GET IT TO BJ&S any more…
He looked at it with the scanner for about half hour and determined that COP 2 & 9 were bad.
I opted for a regular oil change service along with fuel filter, spark plugs, and a B&G engine cleaning system.
Drove it back home yesterday and everything is OK and I’m out $1400 bux.
Thanks again to Bluegrass and others who opined here. Feels like home already…/gene
awesome! hope all goes well

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
2003, 45, 4550, 46, 62, 64, diesel, expedition, f150, ford, jerk, jerking, mph, powerstroke, skip, studdering, truck