1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

oil cooler gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler gasket question

I noticed Ford has different part numbers for the front header gasket. One for 94-96 and one for 97 and up. Well, all the online kits made by alliant are 94 to 03. Is something weird here? I have a 94 engine with now a 97 oil cooler on it and the only thing I saw different between it and the old one was the snap ring on the rear header. I put it back on with an alliant kit and the front header has been leaking when it gets down in the teens. It's really aggrevating and I'm about to pull it back off. I just called the international dealer and the gaskets and o rings from them are 81.29 so not much more than the alliant kit but they also don't seem to specify any year break on the part numbers.

When I take it off tonight I am going to put the old 94 front header back on the cooler that is in there now. The 97 one. I think the one on it has a crack in it. That's the only thing I can figure. I am just unsure which front gasket to use mostly. Anyone got any idea why ford shows two different ones?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
This is not a direct answer to your question, but I wanted to mention that my oil cooler is leaking(real bad, not driveable) from the front gasket, I used the Alliant power kit about 4-5 months ago. the rear gasket was steel with rubber seal, the front gasket was plastic, with rubber seal. I think the front gasket cracked, but I'll see for sure in the next couple days when I get a chance to change the gasket.

Here are the Ford numbers for the new gaskets I just bought ( both are steel)

Front- F4TZ6A636A

Rear- F7TZ6A636AAA

Hope this is a help!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
I use the same gaskets for the OBS and the SD trucks all the time.

The o-rings are the same, too.

Don't get me wrong though....the headers are different for different chassis trucks and vans as well as OBS/SD....but the gaskets are the same regardless.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Same story here. I used '95 model gaskets and put a later model oil cooler on there. used '95 o-rings too.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I ordered a new kit from rifraff last night. It was the alliant kit I used last tiime. I thought both those gaskets were steel with rubber though. Whatever, they sure sucked! I've had nothing but fits from that front one and I've done more of these than I can count at Ford and the truck dealer. I never had one leak with parts from them or IH before. Alliant claims to be the manufacturer for OEM parts I thought.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
As Cody said, they are the same gaskets and o-rings for all the year models.

I only carry the Ford / IH parts.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Thats good to know. I needed to order some things from you too. The ford dealer here is absolutely clueless since I left.