Sponsored by:

Leaky rear pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Your right, I must be thinking of something else. I don't know why I always keep thinking the crush sleeve is for setting the pinion depth (this isn't the first time). There had to be a gearset at some time in my life that I had to set up that used a crush washer/sleeve to set up depth and is why I keep thinking it is the same for all differentials.

My mind has been just boggled lately, to much stuff going on for me around here lately.
It's ok it's not like rear ends are torn into daily and we all get things mixed up from time to time.
Amazing how this has over 8,000 views already.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
It's ok it's not like rear ends are torn into daily and we all get things mixed up from time to time.
Amazing how this has over 8,000 views already.

Especially now days. Besides most cars being front wheel drive it is pretty rare to have any rear differential problems now days. I haven't had a set of gears out of a rear end in years.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Especially now days. Besides most cars being front wheel drive it is pretty rare to have any rear differential problems now days. I haven't had a set of gears out of a rear end in years.
Very few people work on them and I haven't touched one in many years but the only change they made was the addition of the tone ring.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Usually you can use the old one like it is because it has some springiness to it and as the bearings wear that also gives you more crush sleeve length, also you could put a shim or washer on the end of it and squeeze er' some more. As long as the nut gets tight that's all you need and the ONLY purpose of the crush sleeve is to give the nut something to tighten against. You could actually take the sleeve out and use lock-tight on the nut and it would probably stay good.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
But Chris, Brent never once advocated or instructed to not use a crush sleeve (unless I missed it). He just made an off-handed comment about not using it.

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill guys.

Stewart
Stewart, do you think the people on this forum that are looking to do this work for the first time would think this statement is off handed? I've been in this business over 30 years and I didn't take it as off handed. That spacer or as you mentioned shims must be there to set the preload.

To me, that's kind of like having extra parts and saying it will be ok without them. The statement he made was wrong.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Your right, I must be thinking of something else. I don't know why I always keep thinking the crush sleeve is for setting the pinion depth (this isn't the first time). There had to be a gearset at some time in my life that I had to set up that used a crush washer/sleeve to set up depth and is why I keep thinking it is the same for all differentials.

My mind has been just boggled lately, to much stuff going on for me around here lately.
I can always make the offending post disappear if you want! No more evidence!

Originally Posted by jpr38057
Stewart, do you think the people on this forum that are looking to do this work for the first time would think this statement is off handed? I've been in this business over 30 years and I didn't take it as off handed. That spacer or as you mentioned shims must be there to set the preload.

To me, that's kind of like having extra parts and saying it will be ok without them. The statement he made was wrong.
I guess it's a mater of perspective. Since you've qualified how you perceived his post, I can understand why you said what you said, now. But because of the limited knowledge I have, and what little I remember from years gone by, what Brent posted jibed with what I remembered, so my perception was that it was an off-handed comment based on Brent using the words "actually" and "probably" in his statement, and that he wasn't advocating going that route.

In my eyes, there was no intent by Brent to lead a novice down an experts path.

Stewart

Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I should just cancel my cable - there's more than enough entertainment and drama on here to keep me occupied for pennies on the dollar. Yeesh.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
I should just cancel my cable - there's more than enough entertainment and drama on here to keep me occupied for pennies on the dollar. Yeesh.
Tried to rep for the chuckle, thanks Matt.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jpr38057

Text is a little deceiving at times, I was only trying to explain something in simple terms but everybody took it wrong. Anybody knows you can't leave spacers or shims out that has ever worked on one, come on give me a little more credit ......lol

No the statement I made was right and again it was just a way of explaining something, did you see the word; "PROBABLY" ?
Do you really think after 10 years of working on them I am going to leave parts out?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
there's more than enough entertainment and drama on here to keep me occupied for pennies on the dollar. Yeesh.

I just wish all my 4 year old threads were this exciting!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I just wish all my 4 year old posts were this exciting!
Crap I didn't even realize it was that old..4 years old and 4 times the fun..

Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 AM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's a leaky rear end thread, it has to be exciting

There is an 80's movie, a mechanic diagnose a car for a girl. He said something about rear end needs grease and lube and she went home and did it. I think it's "Revenge of the nerds or Porky's?"

Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Good point, Sean.

This thread has run its course too.

Stewart